Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Numark HDMix

Default Numark HDMix

Numark HDMix I know it's a bit of a long shot, but does anyone out there know if the standard HDD drive can be easily replaced with a SSD to this player, the built in drive is a standard computer HDD in a removable caddy.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Numark HDMix I know it's a bit of a long shot, but does anyone out there know if the standard HDD drive can be easily replaced with a SSD to this player, the built in drive is a standard computer HDD in a removable caddy.
    I reckon the obvious answer would be to try it and see!!

The only issue I can foresee, and I'm in no way an expert on SSDs, is do they need special drivers or are they covered by the same mechanical HDD drivers? If not, is there a firmware update available that would make the SSD drive usable in the player? Is the player's O/S stored on the HD itself or is it store on ROM within the machine? If it's on ROM, then a quick swap of the drives could be all that's needed. If it's stored on the drive itself then you'd need to clone the HDD onto the SDD before you could do anything with no guarantee that it will work anyway.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but please do post the outcome as I'd be interested to know!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I'm fairly sure I replaced the one in mine with a larger one, but what I can't remember is whether it's the old IDE system, or SATA.

If it's IDE, you may struggle to fit an SSD. The manual doesn't say what type of HD is in it from new, but at only 80Gb, I suspect the older system.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I've applied some thought to this subject & I'm with Peter - I suspect the HDD used in the HDMix is the older PATA (parallel ATA) type. This doesn't necessarily mean you can't use an SSD inside but it would definitely mean you'd need to use a converter (PATA to SATA) between the HDMix HDD connector & any SSD you try.

Now then.. in theory the commands used by disk drives on any interface should mean that everything should 'just work' because any next generation device is usually backwards compatible with older gear by design.

What experience has shown me, in my day job, is that this may not necessarily be the case. I used to work for a company who made CCTV systems (recorders mostly) using hard drives & although the interface (PATA or SATA) was meant to adhere to a standard laid down by an international committee - and it was this standard to which our operating software was aimed - not everything went smoothly & we occasionally had to get very expensive equipment - and the disk manufacturer - involved to find out why.

I'd say it's definitely worth a throw though...

PATA to SATA converter:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Bi...+bidirectional