Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
I get what you're saying, but the money side won't look after itself until you ASK for more money. To achieve a higher fee, you have to put your prices up. It won't magically increase by itself!
Totally agree, however I think DJs are too fixated on price and worse still on how much they can get for a gig. When was the last time you attended a seminar with a basis in earning (say) £60k a year ? Most of them just go on about how much you can get for a gig. Now, a lot of people get sucked into this figure/gig but this is totally irrelevant if you can't get that amount on a regular basis.

I have had a few bookings amounting to over £2k a booking yet would be suicidal to concentrate on those bookings. One of my competitors is very well known and commands in excess of £1k a booking - however the amount of bookings would not be enough for me.

I know it seems a bit big-headed, but all most people have to do is ask for the money. I totally agree people can be put off by a low price just as much as a high price. It is a confidence thing, but also knowing your market and how people think - very little to do with actual DJing.

By not talking as much, it is surprising how you do grow your fee. I am by no means the most expensive, but on the few occasions I have discussed prices it is surprising how my competitors charge the same (within £20 to be precise). I took over a DJ company earlier in the year, who were my biggest competitors - yet the fees they charged were exactly the same as mine.

Now some would believe that this thinking will bring me to be 'the same' and everyone charging 'the same'. Maybe true, but this amount gives me a decent living, is an amount I am happy with and my only obstacle being able to keep just below VAT registration levels - hence a good accountant to guide me lol.

I could probably increase fees, work less etc however I think I have left it a bit late as at the back of my mind I need a retirement plan (early semi-retirement in 9 years). So, I would prefer to build a business, rather than be an individual working for more money - for others, especially those younger, I can see the appeal.