Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I love my Intimidator 305s...but

Default I love my Intimidator 305s...but

OK - I'm not replacing the 305's.....no way on earth....they're just too good. But they're black.

And this leads me into a dilemma.

I have an "all white" wedding rig as an option for customers and it's doing rather well. Trouble is, they don't make Intimidator 305 rollers in white and they stick out like a sore thumb on the all white rig (or they do to me at least).

So.....what are the options?

1. Purchase a second pair of 305's and spray them white. Tempting, but it's a hell of a lot of money to turn around and get the Wilko spray paint onto and invalidate the warranty (even DJKit's Black Friday deal brings them in at £339 apiece)
    2. Find some sort of thermo-plastic vacuum moulding company that can make white push on covers. Is this possible? (I'm genuinely interested if somebody can make a plastic cover that "snaps" over the front of them at a price less than a pair of fixtures)

Which leads me onto the third and most likely option....

Is there anything else on the market which is similar, cheaper (bear in mind they're going to need to be sprayed white so in effect need to be "disposable" as the moment I spray them...the warranty's dead!), as bright (the 305s are like looking into the sun at 60w!), and most important....have the ability to change Gobos (I need to be able to fit heart Gobos for the obvious reason).

Or is there something which has a heart Gobo as standard? (I haven't found anything yet).

I'd obviously prefer barrels, although I'm open to ideas.

I splashed out (stupidly in hindsight) on a Dynamic 25 barrel a while ago - looks nice in white and as bright as the 305's but you can't change the Gobos (unless someone's found a hack for that), so they're out of the question. I need the heart gobo for the cake cutting and the first dance (it's what I do!).

What I will say....the only two gobos I tend to use for a wedding are the heart and open....both in white. Colours for the scanners aren't important as the other fixtures take care of that side of things.

Budget-wise...hmmmm...... I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm going to paint them. They definitely need to be less than a brace of 305's though....

So ladies and gentlemen....as ever the floor is yours.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I can only approach this as a man who is a) currently rather drunk and b) who really can't grasp the concept of a whole white setup, but have you had any feedback from anyone about them? Might not be worth worring about.

Short of that, keep them behind the booth until it turns dark (Which, at this time of year, is rerelatively early) and bring them out when needed.

Short of first dances happening at lunch time, that'll buy you at least six months before you'll have to worry about it.

It's £100 cheaper, but not a barrel - but comes in white already, and already has a heart gobo inside...

https://www.djanddiscostuff.com/ligh...ng-p3623/s3803

I'm guessing when they pay extra for an all white set up, look is very important to them - probably more so than the light show - so I'm guessing any lighting needs to be very tidy. These can be placed in the corners of the booth facing towards the ceiling, so might reduce the number of lights that need to go in the air?

In fact, I wonder if ground place lighting, washing the ceiling would bounce enough on to the floor to remove the need for any lighting in the air? Now that would be very tidy looking!

I can see you're as fussy as I am about how things go - if you're going to do something, you'll be doing it properly!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It's £100 cheaper, but not a barrel - but comes in white already, and already has a heart gobo inside...

https://www.djanddiscostuff.com/ligh...ng-p3623/s3803
    Yes I'd looked at those. The BIG downside for me on those is that you can make them point downwards unless they're mounted on an overhead bar (i.e. you couldn't plonk them on a plinth and angle them at the floor). I would assume mounting them on their sides is a big no-no as well.

Doesn't really help for things like nice hearts either side of the cake when it's cut or during the first dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    OK - I'm not replacing the 305's.....no way on earth....they're just too good. But they're black.
    Racist.

I'm the same, i'm in a strange position we have 3 of them and i'm tempted to get another and spray a pair of them.

I also have been thinking if there was anyone that vacuum forms locally that i could take a load of lights to and it would solve a lot of problems.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Racist.
    I was waiting for that one

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I'm the same, i'm in a strange position we have 3 of them and i'm tempted to get another and spray a pair of them.

I also have been thinking if there was anyone that vacuum forms locally that i could take a load of lights to and it would solve a lot of problems.

The only thing that really puts me off spraying it that they'll chip (my MegaTriPars on the t-bar I made up already have).
    However....I may have a cunning plan involving some sheets of thermoplastic I've just purchased from Amazon and a hot-air gun to make removable covers which sit over the front of them.....watch this space

Use wireless DMX and put them in a different part of the room, e.g. on the other side in the corners.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

The new gravity stands are excellent for this. Not a tripod in sight.

Great idea Toby.

Call me old fashioned....I'd still worry about punters pulling things over though with things away from the booth (it's bad enough when I put the LOVE letters away from where I'm working)

Eeeee....just had a cracking idea on this one whilst taking the fixtures to bits to clean them and put in the snowflake gobos ready for silly season....

Does anyone know if Chauvet have a UK based parts centre? I'm thinking that if I could obtain a couple of the bottom front plates (the bits with the RC window in them), I could spray those white and leave the rest of the fixture as is. OK, it wouldn't be entirely white....but that particular plate is the majority of the visible casing and I'd more than likely get away with it being classed as a white fixture by most brides