Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a new knob!

Well as usual I completely forgot about this and remembered a few hours before my event last week. No big issue really, but I used a variety of pliers and hack saws to cut enough off to be able to twiddle the bass to the desired location. I had ordered a Bosch pro angle grinder (that has literally just arrived) and then remembered I also had a Bosch multi tool that I have never even used. Turns out it cuts metal in fiddly places (I got it for plasterboard and grout etc.).

Made a bit of a mess, but it's sheered the outer sheath leaving the shaft naked, so I can now twiddle my knob it to my hearts satisfaction one way or the other. I will look and see if I can get something with the right diameter to replace the switch as I don't plan to sell the sub any time soon. As long as it works don't see any point in replacing a working control.

Now where is my black marker pen?

Name:  24282426_1699997140045571_623798345_n.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  69.6 KBName:  24337351_1699998300045455_2114239151_n.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  95.0 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Toby, you . I could have done less damage with a Stihlsaw!

Justin, I think I win, as obviously the shaft is still proud of the backplate, despite Toby's ministrations.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Toby, you . I could have done less damage with a Stihlsaw!

Justin, I think I win, as obviously the shaft is still proud of the backplate, despite Toby's ministrations.
    Erm....WHO said it first? http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...l=1#post664973

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Now just hold on a cotton-pickin' minute there, Musky. For a kick off, I credited you with it in post number 6.

Secondly, keep out of this. This is between me and Justin. He's the one calling me out.

When we've had our fisticuffs, you can fight the winner.

( Entire post in jest, BTW )
    Last edited by Excalibur; 03-12-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Lol talk about fighting over the spoils. Well that's certainly one way to get a bit more length out of the broken shaft... Grind the body of the control down.

Oh, that poor sub. You don't deserve it, Toby. What's it ever done to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    What's it ever done to you?
    Its been rock solid for years and is showing no signs of giving up on me now.
    For a cheap sub (and amp for my tops) it's fantastic.

Its not that much of a mess , just needs a marker pen and a new knob with 4mm internal diameter. I was going to put some tape down before hand nut could not be asked, but it wont take much difference to it and the rest of its pretty battered after 5 + years anyway.
    Last edited by yourdj; 03-12-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Lol talk about fighting over the spoils. Well that's certainly one way to get a bit more length out of the broken shaft... Grind the body of the control down.
    Oh dear! 'Umble Pie time for me.

Justin, you were correct. What I ( and Wayne before me ) took to be the sleeve of the knob, was in fact the collar of the resistor, and the shaft did indeed not protrude, until Toby had " mended " it.

Personally, a small drill bit, a blob of Araldite, and some form of insert ( screw, bolt, etc ) would have been my emergency " repair ".

It matters not who was right, just that there was no misadventure this time There's gold in them thar old threads man. How many DJs does it take to unblock a drain, anyway?

It matters not who was right, just that there was no misadventure this time There's gold in them thar old threads man. How many DJs does it take to unblock a drain, anyway?
    One.

And a team of trained medical staff to repair the collateral damage to the DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    What I ( and Wayne before me ) took to be the sleeve of the knob, was in fact the collar of the resistor, and the shaft did indeed not protrude
    And i knew that all along, I was just not sure what you meant.

Would this work? I guess its designed more for the original fitting, but if glued should be fine. i need to dig out my LD Dave 10 (which is in pieces) and see what diameter that is. I know the knob is smaller, so there is a good chance its 4mm and will match the other one. Actually having a different knob would be handy as i constantly adjust it (its at waist level) so it will be immediately obvious.

I needed to be careful when i typed 'black knob & shaft" in the same sentence on google.
    What do we think? it will need some araldite:

http://cpc.farnell.com/elma/021-3320...ack/dp/SW03752

This one has a split shaft ribbed grip (tee hee): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pcs-Ribb...0AAOSwR0xZqRMf
    Last edited by yourdj; 03-12-2017 at 01:06 PM.