Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New controller

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I use an S4 MKII which has no Mic EQ, no On/Off switch, and one input that is 1/4 inch jack and it is not absolutely useless.
    Let's just say that with those specifications, it was never designed for use by a Mobile DJ.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    I am looking at the Denon DJ MC4000 , I can always remove the jog wheels and use them as side plates.....
    Any one have experience with this model
    Yep, I have one mate. Spot on!

Oh yeahhhh that's why I didn't opt for the MC4000... no mic on/off switches Yes, all my (radio) mics have switches but...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Hmm but only one mic input & it's a 1/4" jack. No mic EQ or On/Off switch either. Absolutely useless!
    You can route the mic to take up a track deck in Traktor so you can apply all EQ and effects you would with a track however you've only got 3 channels left or you can use am odd combination of knobs and buttons to get volume and keep 4 decks.

Add a mixer for mics and its awesome bit of kit. Had mine over a year.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    You can route the mic to take up a track deck in Traktor so you can apply all EQ and effects you would with a track however you've only got 3 channels left or you can use am odd combination of knobs and buttons to get volume and keep 4 decks.

Add a mixer for mics and its awesome bit of kit. Had mine over a year.
    Sort of defeats the object of having a controller with built-in audio though doesn't it if you have to 'add a mixer for mics'. The best thing about the Denon MC6000 and upwards controllers is they don't need an external mixer to cope with more than 1 mic. I don't often need a 2nd mic, but when I do I'm glad I don't have to haul another mixer up onto the booth just for that!

Right now the MC6000 is the best controller for my needs - but that's still not saying it's my ideal. Oh no

. I don't often need a 2nd mic, but when I do I'm glad I don't have to haul another mixer up onto the booth just for that!
    Maybe it's me, but how on earth does a mobile DJ go out with only one mic?

" Can I borrow your mic to announce the raffle/ thank the guests for coming/hand out the prizes/ whatever"?
    DJ replies: " Er, no. It's a cabled mic, in my mic stand with a two metre cable, and I've got it set for my voice, and perfectly positioned for my height and stance".
    Charming!

Two separate channels, with tone control and kill switches are absolutely essential. No ifs, no buts. Simples.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I don't often need a 2nd mic, but when I do I'm glad I don't have to haul another mixer up.
    I can see the benefits of having an on controller mic especially with 2-3 band eq, The controls are up there with you and its all in one unit. Plus you have talk over, but i don't see whats wrong with the volume slider really? However, the usability, quality and reliability of the mixer comes before that with me, especially the compatibility with software. If your a chat/sing over the mic and introduce each track sort of DJ then maybe it's different.

I have a little mackie mixer, for my mics, it's in my electrics & wireless DMX control box with the mic receiver too, so I would argue takes less time/hastle that if you have to plug in your mics etc (unless you have it built into a flight case). Really handy having a separate audio supply for that as well as back up sound, just incase the mixer goes down. I also have 3 band EQ, XLR in (I have noticed a massive increase in quality from jack) and other tings (like phantom power). More importantly it is an impressive preamp for my LD Dave, really boosts the sound quality and volume. I used to have a Behringer one and despite loosing a channel, the quality on this is miles better (especially the pitiful power supply). Worth a thought if the jog wheels are such an issue??

Name:  91XJykFbotS._SY587_.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  77.8 KB

Well, if I don't knock a bit of bass off my mic... EEW. I don't eat the mic either, FWIW
    Its amazing how many DJ's don't do that, depending on the mic, controller/sound and user techniques it sound terrible even with my mic under my chin level. My EQ is usually at 10pm on the bass and 2pm on the treble for a natural crisp sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Two separate channels, with tone control and kill switches are absolutely essential. No ifs, no buts. Simples.
    Agreed. Plus a back up wireless receiver and bare minimum 1 additional mic (ideally 2). Nice also to have a lapel set for some uses. Corded mics are great for when you really have issues (BM has notes and a clicker/props), or a singer breaks their one and only SM58!! I would make them sweat a bit first though.
    Last edited by yourdj; 13-12-2017 at 09:19 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Talkover? Never use it. Sounds awful. How even with DSP can they get a simple sidechained compressor setup so wrong? Best talkover I've ever encountered was on a cloud twin deck console way back in the 80s. You could adjust everything from the threshold to the fade level to the recovery time!

Anyway yes mic kill switches are essential for me too. You can never trust a mic user 100%. If they bang it on the top, off it goes. Oh you broke it you plum! If they step in front of a speaker with it, off it goes til they move. There's a reason mics never feedback when they're in front of speakers in film & telly -they're not really on. Feedback is added in post. It's the law dontcha know

Sort of defeats the object of having a controller with built-in audio though doesn't it if you have to 'add a mixer for mics'. The best thing about the Denon MC6000 and upwards controllers is they don't need an external mixer to cope with more than 1 mic. I don't often need a 2nd mic, but when I do I'm glad I don't have to haul another mixer up onto the booth just for that!

Right now the MC6000 is the best controller for my needs - but that's still not saying it's my ideal. Oh no
    I thought the same - another thing to setup, what a pain! I had the MC6000 and I thought it was okay but I found the layout cramped and not laid out as nicely for use with Traktor. So I bought a large controller flight case and put S5, wireless mic, mic, Alto Zephr mixer and other bits and peices inside. All wired up together which saves time and now I've got much more controls, backups and flexibility with other entertainers.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

OK , I`ll have jog wheels...............
    So I have narrowed it down to...............

Denon MC 4000

Name:  MC4000_3840x2160.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  247.7 KB

ADJ VMS 5

Name:  VMS5.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  307.6 KB

Both will work with Ultramixer software , I have both Midi maps

Over to you

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex