Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding Discos and Xmas Discos are just the same.

Default Wedding Discos and Xmas Discos are just the same.

What is your opinion on the above statement ?

My FB feed seems full of DJs moaning about Xmas Parties. Apart from the fact I wonder why they do them if they do not enjoy them, are they so different to say a wedding, engagement, birthday etc.

For me, apart from the formalities there is little difference between what I do if honest, my song list is very similar too, end of the day they are all a party.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

My FB feed seems full of DJs moaning about Xmas Parties. Apart from the fact I wonder why they do them if they do not enjoy them, are they so different to say a wedding, engagement, birthday etc.

For me, apart from the formalities there is little difference between what I do if honest, my song list is very similar too, end of the day they are all a party.
    Yeah, but when I've played Merry Xmas Everybody in August at weddings, it's bombed!

Whimsy over, serious answer imminent:

Yes and No. There are big similarities, and there are huge differences. Thunderbird 2 and The Soul Banana are both big vans, but totally different in so many important respects. Same with your post.

I think the moaning stems from the DJs being faced with the Same Old Same Old, and in a way being detached from the fun. Everybody else is full of the Christmas Spirit ( ) and we're sober as a judge, and looking at doing exactly the same thing tomorrow night. Familiarity breeds contempt.

That'll do for now, more later perhaps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Must agree with you , the only difference is a few xmas songs ,no first dance and usually a later start due to the xmas meal.
    both are great IMHO , just working to the easy gig of the year....................NYE , everyone is up for a party..

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Yeah, but when I've played Merry Xmas Everybody in August at weddings, it's bombed!
    Ahh, but I don't play that at Xmas parties either

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    just working to the easy gig of the year....................NYE , everyone is up for a party..

Daryll
    Unless you're in my neck of the woods. It was getting to be that people were turning up to NYE gigs because they felt they should be out as opposed to wanting to party, and there are fewer and fewer NYE every year. Most of the pubs in the area now run an open jukebox night because people would rather sit with a beer and chat as opposed to get up and dance....the main reason I stopped doing NYE parties.

One major difference between Xmas Parties and Weddings.

At a wedding, you have one very clear 'boss' - the newly married couple. In essence, everything is for them.

At a Xmas Party, there's no real clear 'boss'. Obviously the venue is the client. But so are the paying guests. And when it's a joiner party, you might have one loud, young group forming one company, and a more laid back and conservative older group forming another company. And in essence you're there to entertain both.

So I find them very different to weddings.

Far less pressure fortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

I stopped doing Christmas parties several years ago. For the most part people in general are more cordial and pleasant if they are a guest at a wedding. My experience of xmas parties is that it's a no holds barred free-for-all where rudeness and over-intoxicated people are is in abundance. I much prefer weddings.

I disagree completely.

With weddings there's a clear start to the dancing i.e. the first dance - with Xmas night you need to manufacture it via a game or whatever and when folk are eating a 3 course mea at 7:30-8pm instead of 4 or 5, there's less inclination to be up for it from the off.

Maybe this is coming from a band background but there's less freedom musically too. I don't do many Xmas parties admittedly but last week I was at a big fancy venue, all the works nights out etc... and they loved it but the playlist, to me, was so uninspiring and formulaic because I was having to keep absolutely every single person happy - I was bored, anyone can batter out Whitney, Abba, Billy Ocean etc... and before anyone says I could have changed it up, 1. Jill from HR would have been over whining my ear off and 2. the venue would then be moaning because Jill is moaning to them.

With a wedding there's more freedom because if the b&g are into house or r n b or motown or whatever you can go a lot deeper with the programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    the playlist, to me, was so uninspiring and formulaic because I was having to keep absolutely every single person happy - I was bored, anyone can batter out Whitney, Abba, Billy Ocean etc... and before anyone says I could have changed it up, 1. Jill from HR would have been over whining my ear off and 2. the venue would then be moaning because Jill is moaning to them.
    Exactly this, and it's where many DJs go wrong. They try and be too clever with the music, when in all intents and purposes, 2 hours of the biggest floor fillers (the usual suspects) provides the best party for the guests.

For many guests, it may be the only disco they've seen all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I disagree completely.

With weddings there's a clear start to the dancing i.e. the first dance - with Xmas night you need to manufacture it via a game or whatever and when folk are eating a 3 course mea at 7:30-8pm instead of 4 or 5, there's less inclination to be up for it from the off.
    That's where I differ. (Usually) at a wedding the dancing starts when the B&G are introduced to the room and carries on from there, right throughout the meal.

Xmas is similar - I (usually) have people dancing into the room and make it an aim to get people on the dancefloor before the main course is served.

Lack of alcohol can make it a little more challenging, but gives me something to aim for.