Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wedding Discos and Xmas Discos are just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    It's funny but until recently I'd have said I preferred weddings over xmas parties because of antsy people. Not this year! Yes it's fair to say I still had a handful of cuthroaters but they got 'both barrels' over the mic (which was great fun). Not insults mind just a bit of banter. "is everyone having a good time?! (wooooo). Well somebody tell her face over there. That sort of thing & directly addressing them with a dedication even calling them the cutthroat lady. Don't cross the line though... Keep it light hearted!
    I had one who was doing it to every song - I cut the music and said over the mic 'are you ok, you look like you are choking on something' - problem solved

I do find you can get away with a lot more at Xmas parties, than you can with weddings, but to me that is a good thing.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I had one who was doing it to every song - I cut the music and said over the mic 'are you ok, you look like you are choking on something' - problem solved
    Yes its very rude isn't it and it really annoys me (especially when registrars do it and you are looking right at them for a simple head nod!). What more annoying is when they do it, you have a full dance floor and they then carry on dancing and singing along to the track! Alcohol, dressing up for the night can often bring out the 'its all about me, I am so special' qualities in women that can make them really horrible people. Embarrassing them publicly can often make that a hell of a lot worse, or as you say make them shrink into the lack of confidence that they actually have. Either way I prefer not to upset anyone if possible!

I tend to go up and be super nice to people like that, work out what they want and try and explain the situation. Often they understand, when they realise you are a normal person and you have bridge the gap between the booth and client (I walk about a lot to get a feel for the room). Often if they want something that just wont work they will be appreciative that you have taken the time to chat with them and often ask for something a bit more fitting. If that does not work i try and ignore or just smile and laugh. They are usually too drink and forget or move on to the next target, if they don't then i might be a bit more firm with them, but as i say I want people to return the next year and annoying one member of a group (rightly or wrongly) can over time mean that you may loose quite a few tables, especially if that person is paying the tab.

I am very conscious of that this year as my numbers are really down and I am probably almost as important as the food in making people return. If the music is crap and the DJ is a complete buffoon, then people will not dance. Even if the food is spot on and pricing right, they may find another venue. i have not one problem this year with anyone being rude, so I am very happy about that. Its been the most enjoyable year as i have been concentrating on nailing the music programming at every wedding and prepared a number of folders for ever eventuality over December. That and sharing set lists with about 10 other DJ's has made my selection and flow much better than previous years resulting in more people dancing. I am taking January off completely also so the break will do me good. I have 2 babies and a house to sort out.
    Last edited by yourdj; 20-12-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    The biggest thing I find is you get people that go out on their own with work mates and can often let rip. Weddings tend to attract couples, whom are on their best behaviour, because they keep each other in check and (as mentioned) have been invited and have had a lot of money spent on them! On the same note some people at a Christmas party may not go out many times in a year (or ever) so that and the combination of alcohol and friendly banter, can really bring out the deamons or drunk idiot in a person. The company bosses or pushy PA's can be the biggest problems on the night and often are a lot worse than any bridezilla ('I have spent XYZ tonight, so put on some heavy metal now you cretin'). Its not always what they say but the manner in which they dictate to you. I command a rather nice small restaurant with a lot of women, but my compadre in the big function room has to put up with all sorts of prats on a weekly basis (this is a very nice 4 star). I have not ever worked at the 4 other venues we also do, but thats the same at times.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Something I've thought about over the years is that for weddings, people are INVITED to be there. So, though they may go to the wedding, they may wish to be elsewhere, or are only there because they feel they have to be. They may well be with people that they don't know (or don't get on with). Generally, for Christmas parties, people have PAID to be there, so are going to make sure that they get their money's worth. Or that their company have paid and, boy, ARE they going to get their money's worth!! They are more likely to be more relaxed about the whole thing. Unless the boss gives them the "you are representing the company here tonight, so please behave" speech. That either puts the tin lid on it or makes them go completely off their heads!

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Something I've thought about over the years is that for weddings, people are INVITED to be there. So, though they may go to the wedding, they may wish to be elsewhere, or are only there because they feel they have to be. They may well be with people that they don't know (or don't get on with). Generally, for Christmas parties, people have PAID to be there, so are going to make sure that they get their money's worth. Or that their company have paid and, boy, ARE they going to get their money's worth!! They are more likely to be more relaxed about the whole thing. Unless the boss gives them the "you are representing the company here tonight, so please behave" speech. That either puts the tin lid on it or makes them go completely off their heads!
    I'd swap it the other way round!

For weddings, it's something that is usually booked a long time in advance, and is a big family gathering that they have been invited to, and often spend quite a lot of money on, with overnight accommodation and a gift for the newly weds.

For a Christmas Party, usually, the company has paid for it, so they have again been invited. Except many companies almost make it mandatory that all staff attend, even if they can think of nothing worse.

Most employees don't look forward to the prospect of a 'social' night out with the people that they work with (and often spend more time with than their wives, husbands and children)!

And these days, it's difficult to be relaxed at a Christmas Party when it is a work function, and HR rules still apply.

I'm seeing far less people get 'drunk' at Christmas compared to a decade ago - and definitely compared to two decades ago!

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'd swap it the other way round!

For weddings, it's something that is usually booked a long time in advance, and is a big family gathering that they have been invited to, and often spend quite a lot of money on, with overnight accommodation and a gift for the newly weds.

For a Christmas Party, usually, the company has paid for it, so they have again been invited. Except many companies almost make it mandatory that all staff attend, even if they can think of nothing worse.

Most employees don't look forward to the prospect of a 'social' night out with the people that they work with (and often spend more time with than their wives, husbands and children)!

And these days, it's difficult to be relaxed at a Christmas Party when it is a work function, and HR rules still apply.

I'm seeing far less people get 'drunk' at Christmas compared to a decade ago - and definitely compared to two decades ago!
    I think that both of these analogies are equal as some people look forward to and are enthralled to be at a wedding and also the office party, but some people are clearly just there to show face, don't really engage at all. I ran a wedding last year and it was such hard work. my florist friend (with his boyfriend) was on one table and they were all on their phones all meal/day and did not talk to each other once! My hosting was creating tumbleweeds but i pressed on and got a massive thank you card saying that 'I made the wedding', which was nice!

Both of these often depend on the couple (as fun, nice couple usually have nice friends and family), the company that booked (lets face it a group of teachers will party harder than a construction company), the surrounding ambiance, the food/management and lastly the entertainment. I would say the personal investment is about the same, when presents/the ticket cost, drinks, rooms/taxis are taken into consideration.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/