Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Eve Mistakes

Default New Year's Eve Mistakes

So we're a couple of days away from New Year's Eve

Any stories of mistakes you've made in the past on New Year's Eve in the past?

Here's mine...

It was Millennium Eve, and I was 16 years old, and had my biggest ever gig at a local community centre. So I took the whole setup along - 2 sets of speakers, light boxes, pin spots, the lot.

And of course, back then, it was all halogen lights.

I did what I normally did back then - I ran my single trusty extension lead to the mains, and plugged everything in.

All was fine whilst I played background music during the buffet, until I 'started' the evening around 9pm - did a bit on the mic and turned up Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You.

It won't come as any surprised that as all the lights flicked on with the sound to light, and the amps drew a little more power, that the whole thing tripped!

Fortunately my uncle was at the gig, and had a spare long extension in his van for me to split the sound and light across 2 plugs, and the evening was saved!!

Thankfully, LED lights don't draw anywhere near as much power these days!!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It was Millennium Eve, and I was 16 years old, and had my biggest ever gig at a local community centre. So I took the whole setup along - 2 sets of speakers, light boxes, pin spots, the lot.

And of course, back then, it was all halogen lights.
    Your light boxes ran on halogen???? Wow that must have been warm

My biggest mistake? Actually agreeing to DO NYE in the first place.

My first time around at this job (I packed in before the Millennium), it wasn't too bad. People were up for a party and it was the "done thing" to be out on the night. I had some really good nights. Back then though, the pubs etc. could only get an extension until about 12:30 and it was an easy night

Since I came back 6 years ago, I've done it thrice....that was enough. The nights were getting quieter (less and less people going out), those that WERE there were so p******d that I ended up carrying the gear out through puddles of puke - not my sort of gig. Plus with 24 hour licensing, it was getting so that the "standard" end time was 2am, meaning home by around 4am if lucky and too shattered to spend New Year's Day with my family.

I haven't done it since. I've turned down countless gigs this year (seems there's a big shortage of DJs at the moment and I've actually been chuckling to myself tonight seeing the number of wannabe agents who have suddenly realised they've taken on NYE gigs for silly prices and now can't cover them).

So I shall raise a glass of Scottish-land's finest, ring in the New Year with my family in front of a roaring log fire and look forward to doing plenty of weddings next year instead

On a serious note about NYE though....(and yes...I've just been checking email and reading posts from the book of faeces....)

How many "wannabe" agents are going to be letting people down this year?

I know....it happens every year where Sidney takes on more bookings than he can possibly cover (after of course, taking his slice), but this year seems a lot worse than I've EVER seen....there are going to be a lot of parties without DJs from where I'm sitting!

It doesn't do this industry any justice of course and it's sad to see a party without the expected DJ...but I really hope the wannabe agents get well and truly bitten on the a**e this year and have their future reputations shot to pieces. It's making my blood boil!

As already mentioned, I don't traditionally DO NYE, but the rig is on standby for the "right" fee...just in case....(well, an emergency plumber/mechanic/electrician isn't going to be cheap on NYE...are they? . )

I've taken a NYE gig this year for the money (wife is at Uni full time for another 18 months so the disco income has become key to keeping our household fed). Prior to this year though I've only been out once for NYE, and I let the bar staff make the mistake.

Imagine the scene..... Disco is going well and midnight is approaching so I do the countdown, wish everyone happy new year and launch into the traditional Post midnight songs. The bar staff then (for some unknown reason) decide to turn on the large screen TV by the dance floor which dramatically proclaims it's still 30 seconds to go and starts the countdown

Turns out I was probably spot on, as there can be a substantial delay introduced in "live TV" with digital broadcasts such as Sky, Virgin, Freeview.

This year, it's TV's off.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I was once doing a semi posh restaurant with mixed ages and played Never Forget after the Auld Lang Sign from the start, bad idea! complete energy killer. One older couple mouthed "what the fxxx is this". It was OK, but i think they wanted cheesier party music. I saw the owner at an awards party a few years after and she said "we have done very well, no thanks to you" so their clients may have said bad things about the music I found her very elitist and a bit cocky (she is a life coach - say it all) plus the cliquy suburban, wannabe classy clients, so as much as that I was probably badly suited.

Been doing this venue for over 8 years now (plus the whole of December), much better, great atmosphere. Older people so they want the whole 500 miles and Abba type thing.

Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Turns out I was probably spot on, as there can be a substantial delay introduced in "live TV" with digital broadcasts such as Sky, Virgin, Freeview.

This year, it's TV's off.

Julian
    Young Twinspin nearly got lynched one year for this very reason, due to the venue staff making exactly the same error. Despite it not being his fault, the lad copped all the flak.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

Been doing this venue for over 8 years now (plus the whole of December), much better, great atmosphere. Older people so they want the whole 500 miles and Abba type thing.
    Now hold on there, Musky!
    What have we told you about stereotyping folk by age?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I was once doing a semi posh restaurant with mixed ages and played Never Forget after the Auld Lang Sign from the start, bad idea! complete energy killer. One older couple mouthed "what the fxxx is this". It was OK, but i think they wanted cheesier party music. I saw the owner at an awards party a few years after and she said "we have done very well, no thanks to you" so their clients may have said bad things about the music I found her very elitist and a bit cocky (she is a life coach - say it all) plus the cliquy suburban, wannabe classy clients, so as much as that I was probably badly suited.

And this, from the DJ who proudly boasts he doesn't do cheese?

Anyway, I can't think about any major clangers I've dropped at NYE other than the fact I took a gig at a cricket club. A committee man suddenly drunkenly decided I wasn't the DJ he booked, cos I didn't have enough lights & got very vocal about it - to the point where he started prodding my chest & pushing me. Somebody saw this & a good ole spaghetti western style fight ensued. My light stand was toppled but thankfully not even the R80 spots seemed to suffer. The man was ejected - and as far as I know bumped off the committee too. The night continued unabated & as far as I remember went quite well after that.

Other than that - I think maybe I once stopped a major clanger being dropped when somebody asked me if I could 'delay the countdown for just a few minutes'... Who do you think I am.. Superman? No way, especially when I've been hyping up the guests for the last 2 hours! Nah - midnight came at the allotted time & I filled til the piper made his appearance - no harm done. But had I tried to tell people their timepieces were all wrong? Er, no.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 30-12-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    And this, from the DJ who proudly boasts he doesn't do cheese?
    I too am a 'non cheesy DJ'.

Amazed at how many times I've played the Macarena.

However, apart from one outing of the Agadoo (very valid reason for this being requested), I'm yet to play any other Black Lace thankfully!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The nights were getting quieter (less and less people going out),...
    I gave up on NYE as a punter a long time ago (2003 I think). Roll up into town having paid Mr Taxi a massively inflated amount, to be met with nearly entirely vacant bars everywhere charging extortionate prices for drinks - DJ ballsed up the midnight stuff completely - still not enough people in the venue to link arms for Auld Lang Syne to any great effect - then had to remortgage the house to pay for a taxi ride home. No thanks!

So I'd say the biggest NYE mistake by far is bigging it up too far & so many outfits just out to gouge everybody.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The nights were getting quieter (less and less people going out),...
    I gave up on NYE as a punter a long time ago (2003 I think). Roll up into town having paid Mr Taxi a massively inflated amount, to be met with nearly entirely vacant bars everywhere charging extortionate prices for drinks - DJ ballsed up the midnight stuff completely - still not enough people in the venue to link arms for Auld Lang Syne to any great effect - then had to remortgage the house to pay for a taxi ride home. No thanks!

So I'd say the biggest NYE mistake by far is bigging it up too far & so many outfits just out to gouge everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Yes....and no.

Yes, it's the "busiest night of the year" <cough> and supply and demand dictate that everything is going to be dearer (especially on services such as DJs that can only be in one place at a time). if you owned a bar....wouldn't you try to capitalise on booze sales for the night (I know I would!). Likewise Taxis....if I owned a Taxi I'd be capitalising on the potential for having to have a full valet after having an inebriated so-and-so regurgitate in the back seat!

No - because actually....it isn't the busiest night of the year. It's been dying a death for years in this neck of the woods. Pubs would rather open the jukebox for free rather than pay a DJ (and let's face it, the number of songs you can get through a jukebox in 4-5 hours and the amount of commission they're "losing" as a result of making it free for the night is a LOT cheaper than hiring anything like a pro DJ). I know this for fact from very long conversations with my local landlord....their profits on the night are minimal after the brewery's taken it's cut!

My average wedding has more guests than a venue on NYE around here, and they behave better!

What's really making me chuckle this year above all others though (and don't ban me....I'm not turning this into a price thread...Gawd knows there's enough of those on FaceBook at the moment on this very subject), is the number of "Panic...I need a DJ urgently" posts....for a LOT LESS than I'd go out for on any other Saturday night during the year!

I've never seen so many people panicking because they can't cover a gig they've taken on!

These are from the people that have taken on bookings, taken a cut off the top as "commission" or a "finder's fee" of an already undercut price, and then tried to farm it out to A.N.Other bedroom DJ (and happily...failed in doing so!). They're not agents by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, I could have farmed out a couple of dozen gigs that way....but I don't work like that (shame...because I could have made a mint for doing nothing).

I've seen gigs advertised from 9pm to 1am for as little as £150! Even Peter won't go out for that! ( it's a joke....please take it in the correct spirit! ).

Yes, the premium gigs are out there for NYE. Do I want them? No.

I suffer enough on the corporate Xmas parties where Nigel from Accounts gets let out once a year and is allowed to spend his pocket money at the bar. That's messy enough.

Aunt Mabel out on her annual NYE binge is a step to far!

The lack of customer participation, the hassle from drunks and the stupidly late load out (most bookings here are until 2am...why???? Let's do Auld Lang Syne and go home!) put me off a couple of years ago.

Personally, I'd rather spend a night at home with the family and a couple of beers. Call me old fashioned....family at Christmas/New Year means a lot to me and nothing short double my normal fee is going to get me loading the van.

Yes...my phone will ring tomorrow night. Yes, the rig is on standby for the "right" fee for a gig within 20 miles of home....but I'm not expecting to be going out (I actually expect to be drinking cocoa in bed by 11pm...I'm getting old). I'm expensive on New Year's Eve for a reason...

Happy New Year all