Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Year's Eve Mistakes

What I think the trend is for now are Ticket Only functions. This tends to cut out some of the less desirable types, and funds a sensible fee for the DJ. I'm travelling a fair way North, and get fed and watered, bed and breakfast, plus a fee greater than £150. Nice hotel, which is putting on a bash, and running it as a special event.

I think simply trying to pay for the DJ with bar sales is becoming more and more difficult nowadays.

Now, the " Agents": Same round here. Shocking.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Our biggest NYE mistake? Putting a DJ we didn't know into a venue (that we still have the contract with) because all our DJs have regular NYE gigs. He ballsed up the count down & played & I quote from the C&B manager "Bump & grind R&B" to a crowd with an average age of about 70.

A post about it came up in my FB memories today

"Not happy. Can't talk about it at the moment, but extremely ed off & angry. Seething in fact."
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Our biggest NYE mistake? Putting a DJ we didn't know into a venue (that we still have the contract with) because all our DJs have regular NYE gigs. He ballsed up the count down & played & I quote from the C&B manager "Bump & grind R&B" to a crowd with an average age of about 70.

A post about it came up in my FB memories today

"Not happy. Can't talk about it at the moment, but extremely ed off & angry. Seething in fact."
    I remember that one. Took a long while to bring you down from the ceiling after that.

OK, before Larry and Mo chip in on this one, I made one this year. Drove 120 miles to the gig, and at 110, realised I'd left the cloth for the DSB at home!!
    I was going to Andy's shop ( Cumbria DJ Store, in case you hadn't realised, check out this week's special offers. ) so Young Flatliners arrived to see us trying to fashion a replacement from whatever was to hand. To cut a long story short, we ended up sticking two Powerdrive stands under my crossbar, and me borrowing a very nice micro booth of some flavour. Thanks again Andy, once more you're a lifesaver.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I've taken a NYE gig this year for the money (wife is at Uni full time for another 18 months so the disco income has become key to keeping our household fed). Prior to this year though I've only been out once for NYE, and I let the bar staff make the mistake.

Imagine the scene..... Disco is going well and midnight is approaching so I do the countdown, wish everyone happy new year and launch into the traditional Post midnight songs. The bar staff then (for some unknown reason) decide to turn on the large screen TV by the dance floor which dramatically proclaims it's still 30 seconds to go and starts the countdown

Turns out I was probably spot on, as there can be a substantial delay introduced in "live TV" with digital broadcasts such as Sky, Virgin, Freeview.

This year, it's TV's off.

Julian
    We're in Vegas with an awesome room looking over the strip so we went upstairs and cracked a bottle of fizz to watch the fire works last night. I set my camera up and keep an eye on the TV for the countdown and then BAM BAM BAM Caesers goes up like a Christmas tree. The telly must have been a good 45 seconds behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

What's really making me chuckle this year above all others though (and don't ban me....I'm not turning this into a price thread...Gawd knows there's enough of those on FaceBook at the moment on this very subject), is the number of "Panic...I need a DJ urgently" posts....for a LOT LESS than I'd go out for on any other Saturday night during the year!

I've never seen so many people panicking because they can't cover a gig they've taken on!

These are from the people that have taken on bookings, taken a cut off the top as "commission" or a "finder's fee" of an already undercut price, and then tried to farm it out to A.N.Other bedroom DJ (and happily...failed in doing so!). They're not agents by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, I could have farmed out a couple of dozen gigs that way....but I don't work like that (shame...because I could have made a mint for doing nothing).

I've seen gigs advertised from 9pm to 1am for as little as £150! Even Peter won't go out for that! ( it's a joke....please take it in the correct spirit! ).
    I pulled myself off all but a few FB groups during the year so I miss most of the but I can only imagine it was the same up here. It's not all the sids though, last year I had the biggest agency in the country go in a huff because "£300 is good money to DJ and you'll be standing around while the singer plays most of the night."

Aye £300 is good, unless you're getting double that any other Saturday of the year and standing about watching a singer is still working.

Anyways to the OP. I usually price myself out of NYE so I've not done that many all in.

I think my first was when the pub I used to work at had a call off, someone phoned and said - you do a bit of DJing don't you? "ummmm kind of...."

£120 cash (hey, I was a student at the time and it was a walk in) and we're off.

My pals from behind the bar and the regulars who were at the party furnished me with a tonne of booze to the point the manageress found me slumped over the wall at a nearby garage and had to get me dragged home (as I said, I was a student)

I phoned up the next day and apologised profusely, she laughed it off and said I'd actually been brilliant though my chat on the mic did go a bit wonky after Midnight.

Never touched a drop on a gig again even when I was still doing it for beer money.

I did one for an agent once down in a seaside town and took a few pals who didn't have any plans. This joint had 2 owners, one was great the other was a complete and guess who was working that night? One of my friends nearly knocked him out for some reason. I can't remember why but the guy was asking for it.

So nothing major from gigs really. The time I lived out in Saudi Arabia and managed to spend a night homeless and standed in Bahrain with no wallet or passport on the other hand!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    What I think the trend is for now are Ticket Only functions. This tends to cut out some of the less desirable types, and funds a sensible fee for the DJ. I'm travelling a fair way North, and get fed and watered, bed and breakfast, plus a fee greater than £150. Nice hotel, which is putting on a bash, and running it as a special event.
    Pretty much the same for me, though travelling to a very familiar location alongside the A1. Working with a band too, so feet up for another hour and a bit. Many familiar faces there, plus a smattering of new ones, including a table of four who told me they came because they had seen me working at a wedding earlier in the year and decided that I was far better than anyone else they had ever seen (no guide dogs, white sticks or bottle bottom glasses in sight). Average was probably 40-50, so no chance of any chart drivel hitting the ears tonight. In fach the first few dancers were up to background tracks and waltzing, quickstepping and foxtrotting their stuff.

A standing ovation at the end of the night, with well over 80% of the guests still there (and not completely wrecked). Took me ages to pack down as guests kept coming for chats. Fortunately, I too had a room for the night, so dragged my weary body up the stairs, only to find that my electronic key wouldn't open the door, as I had carried it while hugging my laptop, so had corrupted it.

Mr Night Manager kindly gave me another. I did think of winding him up later by ringing for some obscure room service request around 4am, but I was soundly unconcious within 30 seconds of reaching the room!

The hotel had cocked up breakfast, which is usually served as brunch, between 9am and 1pm, allowing a leisurely eye opener (and hangover removal - not me) in the morning. However, the new management shad lunch bookings for, well, lunch, so did breakfast from 7.30am (yeah, right) to 10.30am and then reset the restaurant for lunch. I managed a respectable 9.40, but the queue after 10am probably contained 50% of the guests. I scoffed mine and even helped tidy it up to free a table.

My one -up in all the years was to pre-record the last 5 minutes of the old year, then the countdown, bing bong bing bong BONGs, Auld Lang Syne and a couple of tracks to start the year off, so I was free to speak on the mic and join the staff in seeing the New Year in. All went well until about half way through the second post midnight track (can't remember what it was now, might have been Amarillo), whenn the music soddenly stopped. The CD player was still whirring round and the "remaining time" clock was still counting down. I discovered that I had burnt the tracks to a CD, but I hadn't added the full track into my sound editing program, so I had around 2 minutes of silence before the next track kicked in.

Fortunately, I had the next disc already lined up so a quick bit of West Country gibber, I pressed the button and Eileen Came On.

The best (worst) night I ever had though was working a James Bond NYE gala dinner with a promoter so far up his own backside that he could see his own tonsils. And a Rat Pack type singer who, despite having a music stand with the words typed out for him, couldn't get the words right. Or the tune. Or in tune. On some cheapo PA that my 3 year old grandson whould have had a better idea how to work.

He was, by far, the worst act I have ever worked with. So much so that the black tie crown started to heckle him, but he insisted on continuing. When it reached the OFF, OFF, OFF stage, someone had called the manager in who said to me, you'll have to go and switch him off. Not me, I said, this is your hotel and your call. So she went on stage and told him he was off, to which he said on the mic that he would just do one more song. Maybe the diners could not hear him, but Julie and I did, so she headed for his power sockets and simply switched them off.

We had already agreed "plan B" and I'd cued up the Thunderbirds theme, which I played, announcing "welcome to our comedy night, I hope you enjoyed that". The whole place just fell about, apart form the singer and the promoter and their wives, both of whom needed several gallons of mint sauce. They proceded to head to the bar for a whinge and whine about how this crowd did not appreciate them and how the singer had done cruise ships (Titanic?), appeared on TV (Crimewatch?) and had a record (Criminal?) out.

What they didn't realise that my wife was with me and she was also in the bar, talking to one of the bar staff, her daughter!

Anyway, we did rescue the evening and we were showered with praise that night and again at breakfast next morning. Two ladies even stopped my wife and told how much they appreciated what WE (me and her, they said) had done. She did then ask for her half of the fee, but unfortunately, was stood on my deaf side at the time!