Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New years eve

back to my regular of 3yrs for me. Numbers were definitely down on previous years but had the pleasure of working alongside a 6 piece 'Bond' themed band, although including 'Live & Let Die' in the set without a guitarist didn't sound quite right. rebooked for next year this time working alongside the Wurzels

Quote Originally Posted by mark@pegasus View Post
    back to my regular of 3yrs for me. Numbers were definitely down on previous years but had the pleasure of working alongside a 6 piece 'Bond' themed band, although including 'Live & Let Die' in the set without a guitarist didn't sound quite right. rebooked for next year this time working alongside the Wurzels
    I did a Bond themed NYE some years ago that turned into an absolute farce. I've described this on the thread. NYE Mistakes thread

Wurzels - jammy sod. Enjoy!

Despite the best efforts of some requesters to dull the mood I had a great gig on NYE. I just can't grasp for the life of me what possesses a person to ask for songs like Whiter Shade of Pale, Nights In White Satin, Time of Your Life (green day) while a party is in full flow, I really can't.
    I appreciate that no party can carry on at breakneck speed all night & that some slowing down might be needed occasionally, but to that extent? Hmmm. We took a detour via Wonderful Tonight (Clapton) at 11.15pm which left plenty time to apply a defibrillator for the ramp up to midnight.

I furnished every request bar one - and bear in mind this lady came with a list.. And because I forgot to include a Blondie track I'm a loser. Thanks for almost spoiling my night, 'lady'.

In all though everyone else was lovely & very appreciative of my efforts to balance the massive age range (15 to approx 80). Definitely the best nye in many a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    . And because I forgot to include a Blondie track I'm a loser. Thanks for almost spoiling my night, 'lady'.
    And because I wouldn't play " just one more, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease ". I'm a Boring Old Fart. Old Old Fart. Charming!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And because I wouldn't play " just one more, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease ". I'm a Boring Old Fart. Old Old Fart. Charming!
    Boring? Boring?! Heavens above anyone who's ever spent more than 10 minutes in your company could never come out with that surely.

I was in such a good mood I gave em one more at the end. That's Amoré as a matter of fact. And ENJOYED it! For the benefit of readers who might not know my history, many years ago I worked for a leisure company who insisted it be played at the end of the night, every night.. Or you'd be unceremoniously sacked. Such fun.

That makes two of us then.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    That makes two of us then.
    I NEVER do it but unless it's been previously discussed with my bride and grooms however, against my better judgement...., I did it in October at a fantastic gig which was more like a rave than a wedding. Finished just before Midnight - the place was booked until 1.

They were all into their house music and absolutely gagging for one more so I dropped Frankie Knuckle's Your Love and they went nuts.

Until the venue caretaker screamed in my face that if I didn't cut the music he'd pull the power to the full place

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I NEVER do it
    Round 'ere - we're not allowed to do it!

Seriously, local licensing is so strict on end times (and yes, they DO patrol as well) that running over time is completely out of the question.

I always discuss with my B&Gs what will happen for this one, and it's normally a dummy finish 3-4 mins early if the night's going well to allow for the "one more DJ" request. If it's a dead night....hey ho!

From hero to zero!

I take it as a compliment that they want more

It's when they walk away saying 'I'm glad that's over' that I'd start to worry!!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Round 'ere - we're not allowed to do it!

Seriously, local licensing is so strict on end times (and yes, they DO patrol as well) that running over time is completely out of the question.

Likewise. The venue had a visit one night when I wasn't there and the function had booked their own disco. He was told in no uncertain terms what the score was.

Fortunately the management were able to convince the noise police that he wasn't a regular there and that this was a one-off. Which it was.

At 2359, 0029 or whatever-9, the house lights are fired up and "that's all folks".