Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New years eve

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I think making the end track slow/romantic/chilled and not reacting to anyone is key. doing the lights and sound (especially the bass) subtly just removes all the energy to a "thanks for having me we are off" type atmosphere, but there is still a bit of music in the background. How DJ's can just finish at midnight and turn the lights up with silence is beyond me, not surprising they still have people shouting at them LOL.
    I tend to turn the light up (where possible) about a minute before the last song has finished and turn my disco lights off then, together with making it 'obvious' it is the very last song using the mic.

Never thought about putting background music on, but surely you will just get people asking for it to be turned up or making requests ?

I never play one more as always ask the B&G to pick a song to finish on and make sure everyone knows that the final song is one specially chosen by the B&G.

I think playing background music could create further problems - when do you actually turn it off for one ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I think playing background music could create further problems - when do you actually turn it off for one ?
    Also, if the venue wants the music off at X time, they mean off not down?
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Never thought about putting background music on, but surely you will just get people asking for it to be turned up or making requests ?
    Usually a big 3 cheers, one last massive track (usually 53 past), and then straight into something slow/relaxed, sometimes the first dance again etc. Thinking out loud is my fav as it now spans all ages. More importantly it has an instrumental near the end, so the vol, bass can be dropped. By then is about 57 mins past, and i will follow it on with something that wont get everyone up dancing. Again Toto Africa is a goods one. This is on VERY low and i let it run to the end, which is usually 1-2 mins after the hour. By this time all the house lights are turned up slowly and the guests are ready to vacate.

I rarely have any issues. its only after a band when i play for an hour or so when i get issues. Or the venues where everyone sits outside and comes in in the last 40 mins. In those situations, then I will just smile, ignore and usually divert it to the client, whom has been pre advised in the meeting thats the end. To be fair they are usually knackered and relieved its finished. If someone is adamant or offers me £700, I will say its the venues licence and thats that, they will usually run out of steam quickly, but only if I am not rude or aggressive. I sometimes go against the rule and play one more, but hardly ever go over the curfew, especially at hotels. Its a legal requirement, but also not fair on other guests whim have been told that the music will go off at ....

Do I need to play background music after i have chilled out and calmed everything? Probably not, especially when people are still talking, but I feel it does make as difference to just shutting off. In an already dead wedding I think its crucial as people will be quite shy. In that time I tend to dismantle a few bits and collect uplighting so its not wasted.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

No problems at the Venue I do regularly ,at midnight , or just after ( depends on the length of the last song) , the house lights come on , that kills it dead.
    I have been asked for one more , when half the gear is in the van

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    No problems at the Venue I do regularly ,at midnight , or just after ( depends on the length of the last song) , the house lights come on , that kills it dead.
    I have been asked for one more , when half the gear is in the van

Daryll

Ditto. One bloke recently offered me £100 to play one more song. I pointed him in the direction of the venue manager, saying he's the guy you need to ask and he's much more expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Ditto. One bloke recently offered me £100 to play one more song. I pointed him in the direction of the venue manager, saying he's the guy you need to ask and he's much more expensive!
    I would have taken the £100 and told the venue my clock must have been wrong on my laptop , and I'll correct for the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    I would have taken the £100 and told the venue my clock must have been wrong on my laptop , and I'll correct for the next time.

I would have loves to. However, the house lights were full on by then and tables and chairs were already being stripped and stacked. Very strict there as they have had noise issues previously and the entertainment licence is up for renewal soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    I would have loves to. However, the house lights were full on by then and tables and chairs were already being stripped and stacked. Very strict there as they have had noise issues previously and the entertainment licence is up for renewal soon.
    Man I hate it when venues just start stacking up chairs and stuff when the party has only just finished, especially for an expensive wedding. It like they are saying "thanks and now bugger off". Thats kind of why i like to eat them into the going home time gently.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

The best tactic I've seen employed was a month ago. 5 minutes before the end the venue opened all the doors, around midnight I started feeling the draft and noticed everybody grabbing their coats!

My personal tactic is announcing the last half hour, then last orders, the last 3 tracks and slowing my light show down, announcing 2 tracks and slowly dimming half my lighting, congratulating the couple / wishing happy birthday along with some jibber jabber rubbish about getting home safe and lovely day etc (I don't talk on the mic much so it'll be quite odd to hear me so much) then the last song with less bass and slowly turning it down towards the end followed by "that's it I'm afraid, goodnight".... I'd love to say it works... But it's 50/50! occasionally I'll play background music...nornally hit the road jack or some other Ray Charles track but only if allowed and if the client hasn't specified a last track. Hit the road Jack works well for me, nobody dances to it, they all seem to sing it to themselves. Winner!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Man I hate it when venues just start stacking up chairs and stuff when the party has only just finished, especially for an expensive wedding. It like they are saying "thanks and now bugger off". Thats kind of why i like to eat them into the going home time gently.
    It is a big bugbear of mine. We have a really nice (and not cheap) venue which do around 300 weddings a year and it really is like a conveyer belt. The staff don't just stack chairs etc, they actually start setting up and laying tables for the following day.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk