Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Maui 5s.

Default Goodbye Maui 5s.

I was sure I'd done a thread on the Maui 5s, but I can't find one. Suffice to say that they have exceeded all expectations, and managed to cope with jobs they should never have been asked to do.
    The one reason why I was sold them was that the previous owner felt, as I did, that LD missed a trick not fitting them with a link output, as they did on every other system. Why oh why do you fit something with an excellent all purpose mixer, but miss out a slave output?

So, I swapped a heap of small boxes and some money for a pair of Maui 5s, and was delighted to find how versatile and convenient they were. Never ever let me down, and always did the job well.
    The niggle about the slave output never went away, and while I got a tiny mixer to circumvent the issue, it was never needed. It's never gone away, and the larger systems have been on my radar for a long time.

Well, young Mr Neen recently acquired a pair of Maui 28 slaves as a part ex, which he wasted no time in informing me of. Well, when I headed up there for NYE, he fired them up on demo, and negotiations began. We even brought a 5 in as an A-B test, and it was astonishing to hear what they could manage against their big brother. They just have no right to do what they do.
    Not surprisingly, negotiations ran aground immediately, as i wanted them as an adjunct to the 5s, and Andy wanted the 5s as part ex, since he had many jobs for them. I couldn't envisage losing the 5s, and much discussion, soul searching, and ideas passed rapidly between Andy, Shaun and myself.

As I mentioned elsewhere, we were having a bit of a pick'n'mix of kit for the three gigs that night, and let's just say that the inevitable happened, and Andy did his gig with a pair of 5s and a smug grin, while I had a pair of 28s either side of me, and an expression of awe.
    Each now has kit which will be the most valuable to its new owner, and all I have to do now is to sell my beloved Stinger tops and subs, which are only going out about once a year. The for sale thread will appear before too long.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Welcome to the club - we wear big beards (assuming Steve still has his 28's).

I've only ever ONCE had mine struggle, and to be honest that was in a marquee where I should have known better. For literally EVERY other gig I've done last year....they were excellent

Those little subs shouldn't be capable of producing what they do....it's insane for an 8" woofer to make anything like that amount of noise. OK - they're never going to give you chest thumping bass, but then I don't tend to do those sorts of parties.

On the other side of the coin....I'll shortly be looking to acquire either a 5 or an 11 for ceremony duties. No use for a pair of them (unless I can get a good deal on a pair of white ones)....that's for later in the year though....

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    On the other side of the coin....I'll shortly be looking to acquire either a 5 or an 11 for ceremony duties.
    My recommendation is the 5 is the best option for ceremonies. I have a pair, and they are my weapon of choice for background music for the wedding breakfast too. Amazing how little feedback they give when paired with a wireless mic. One in each corner and the room is covered beautifully, without the person sat in front of the speaker being blasted.

For the weight difference, the 5 is the one I'd go for - plus they are far more discrete, being smaller.

And you might want to consider the new battery version. Sadly, that wasn't available (or even announced) when I bought my Maui 5s. It would have come in very handy.

I've had one ceremony so far that was outside in a location that had now power whatsoever (see pic). For this, I borrowed a battery powered QTX speaker, but would have much preferred the battery Maui 5. Network with celebrants - they are the ones who tend to end up doing their ceremonies in the middle of nowhere - somewhere that isn't licensed for a civil ceremony, but means something to the couple. Get the introduction through providing sound for the ceremony (including wireless lapel mics) and it's then an easy upsell for the rest of the day and evening entertainment...

Name:  outside.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  137.8 KB
    Last edited by rth_discos; 01-01-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Well, I've got to give an update on this. Andy's 28s were the Mk1 slave units, and I was mindful that they were significantly quieter than the later model G2. First gig, no sweat, it was a small room. Second gig, big room with a band, and I think I asked more of them than was wise. Added to that, it seems they perform better with both line inputs used on each unit, which I hadn't done.

So, back to Andy they went, and he soon had a customer for them who's overjoyed with them. He kept the 5s as he had lots of work for them, and I got a lot of lights which I had been after for ages. This leaves me with big boxes for big gigs, but not a light, easily portable stick rig. So, now what do I do?

Turns out that there are a couple of budget offerings on the go, with perhaps a bit of shared ancestry. The Gemini WRX 843 and the SubZero SZPA-L68( which is Gear4Music's own brand ) Unfortunately, it wasn't going to be possible to hear the Gemini for quite a few days, and guess what came up on Ebay?

A pristine secondhand Maui11 Mix. Thomann still have stock of them, so it was possible to get a matching pair, and hopefully I'll have the pair by next week. I'll keep you posted.

Are you finally sorted then?

The 11's won't be any louder than the 28's - the specs say so!

OK - I know yours were the Mk1's and mine are the MkII's and there's a LOT of difference.
    I'll be out with my 2's again this weekend in a fairly huge hall. After lifting the DXR15's onto stands tonight....I'm knackered

I was going to make a recommendation, until I noticed you are now sorted.

But for the benefits of others, I'll still make it.

The Evox J8 is the new, cheaper, plastic cab version of the Evox 8.

Initial reports are that it is very similar in sound to the Evox 8.

I have the Evox 8 and I still love it. This new option is ideal for those who want to keep costs down.

And, they have an all white version coming out for those who like the white look...

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Are you finally sorted then?

The 11's won't be any louder than the 28's - the specs say so!
    I know that, especially as my 11s will also be the early models. They will however be louder than the 5s, and have the elusive link socket(s). My next step up from the 11s doesn't weigh as much as your Yammies, the Proels are plastic, and currently my " upstairs " cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I was going to make a recommendation, until I noticed you are now sorted.

But for the benefits of others, I'll still make it.

The Evox J8 is the new, cheaper, plastic cab version of the Evox 8.

Initial reports are that it is very similar in sound to the Evox 8.

I have the Evox 8 and I still love it. This new option is ideal for those who want to keep costs down.

And, they have an all white version coming out for those who like the white look...
    Thanks for the information. There's currently a raft of newcomers on the market, including an offering from the Gemini stable at a quite silly price here, and something at an equally silly price under the Gear4Music Sub Zero banner here

Word has it that the Gemini is an impressive piece of kit, but not too many on the ground here yet to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Thanks for the information. There's currently a raft of newcomers on the market, including an offering from the Gemini stable at a quite silly price here, and something at an equally silly price under the Gear4Music Sub Zero banner here

Word has it that the Gemini is an impressive piece of kit, but not too many on the ground here yet to listen to.
    The one comment I'll add... when I went looking for PA, David at RSD Music made a very convincing pitch to me to spend as much as possible on the PA. Long term it would be cheaper he said.

I was conscious that it was 'sales patter', but I did invest in the Evox 8 (I'd been considering cheaper alternatives at the time, as I was starting out).

Yet here I am, 3 years down the line, with no desire to sell my Evox 8 - they still take on every task I ask of them. The only addition has been the Maui 5, and that was purely for ceremony/background music use.

So whilst my initial investment was high, I'd be conscious about the total cost of ownership of buy and selling cheaper speakers regularly. The odd hundred pound lost here and there quickly adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    David at RSD Music made a very convincing pitch
    He excels at that. So much so that he talked one person I know into spending 10-15 thousand with him. It's his fault I guess, but he had to get a job at Mcdonalds to make up the lack of work vs his capital investment (most of it crap he did not need). Thats business I suppose? He is right though, you need to spend as much as you can on PA, get thew right system to start with and stick with it for at least 5 years.

Might look at one of those white maui battery speakers, would be dead handy for wedding breakfasts & outside ceremonies. Whats the volume like sitting right next to it as thats my only hang up as it may be too loud when compared with a directional speaker positioned on a stand over peoples heads, or pointing at a wall for dispersion?
    Last edited by yourdj; 15-02-2018 at 09:37 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    He excels at that. So much so that he talked one person I know into spending 10-15 thousand with him. It's his fault I guess, but he had to get a job at Mcdonalds to make up the lack of work vs his capital investment (most of it crap he did not need). Thats business I suppose?
    To be fair to David, he'll introduce you to ideas and show you how you can sell them. It's up to the individual to determine if it's the right idea for their business and for that person to then market it.

I could have easily bought £10k of kit from David based on what he proposed to me. Some great ideas, but just weren't right for my business.

To his credit, he was the first person I came across who highlighted that you can earn more from discos by targeting the right people - so to that end, I owe him, as he has certainly made me far more money than I spent with him!

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Might look at one of those white maui battery speakers, would be dead handy for wedding breakfasts & outside ceremonies. Whats the volume like sitting right next to it as thats my only hang up as it may be too loud when compared with a directional speaker positioned on a stand over peoples heads, or pointing at a wall for dispersion?
    Here's the strange thing - you can be very close to them and they don't sound loud - yet the sound travels really well. Very important at a wedding breakfast where the speaker is often only a couple of feet away from the head of the person nearest it.

They key point is that only the top section of the 3 part column makes any noise, so the 'sound' is relatively high up (over the top of anyone sat down). I found they make a far more pleasant sound when close to them than a direction speaker, like a RCF 310 for example.

And had it been around when I bought my Maui 5, I absolutely would have bought the battery version.