Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: picture question

Hybrid View

Default picture question

Happy New Year everyone
    Saw a Dj on new Years Eve with a couple of screens showing pictures of punters around the pub in various poses etc and thought to myself how is he doing that.
    turns out he had been round the pub earlier taking pictures and then just transferred them to the screens.
    This got me thinking about doing this myself but getting the punters to send the picture messages to me on a mobile phone which I receive on another mobile phone connected to a laptop and then just display their own pictures.
    I realise this may be a bit risky so would have to incorporate some form of censoring into the mix such as viewing them first and then transferring them to a rotating folder.
    is this something that is well old, tried and tested and no good or something that may have legs if I decide to pursue it.
    I know about the texting software that allows messages to be received and displayed on a screen and this may be related to that.
    appreciate any ideas of how to do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by hadyn View Post
    Happy New Year everyone
    Saw a Dj on new Years Eve with a couple of screens showing pictures of punters around the pub in various poses etc and thought to myself how is he doing that.
    turns out he had been round the pub earlier taking pictures and then just transferred them to the screens.
    This got me thinking about doing this myself but getting the punters to send the picture messages to me on a mobile phone which I receive on another mobile phone connected to a laptop and then just display their own pictures.
    I realise this may be a bit risky so would have to incorporate some form of censoring into the mix such as viewing them first and then transferring them to a rotating folder.
    is this something that is well old, tried and tested and no good or something that may have legs if I decide to pursue it.
    I know about the texting software that allows messages to be received and displayed on a screen and this may be related to that.
    appreciate any ideas of how to do it though.
    I am doing a test run for a system just like this tomorrow afternoon.

Basically the guests send photos on a wifi network to a little hub, this then gets cued to an app or something on my iPad and then during the courses I either delete or show them on the screens around the room. I don't want to get into the realms of printing, but thats an option too. The clients then get the photos on a personalised stick at the end of the night and i may also post them on social media. Its basically a modified interactive Photo Booth, and I think is very relevant and passive form of entertainment. Let me know if you find anything as there is very little about and I happen to be friends with a very early Photo Booth tech pioneer so have nearby support too.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

This works best when using existing technology.

Trying to get someone on to your own WiFi network means giving out lengthy instructions.

The best way to achieve this is through existing social media networks, such as Twitter and Instagram, utilising hashtags.

These video wall feeds have been around a few years now, and people are getting used to using them - post a picture with a hashtag, and it appears on the wall (via your moderation if required)

Here's a few examples:

https://slidesome.com/
    https://everwall.com/
    https://hootsuite.com/hootfeed

That's just the first few options I've found - there'll no doubt be other options at other prices.

This all looks intriguing but I feel is quite confusing. Need to spend more time looking at this, there is not a lot on Youtube.

See how I get on today as logging into a private wifi network and downloading a few photos should be an easier option (plus much quicker) when presented with a nice little card on the table with simple instructions. If hosting I can also introduce it prior to the grand entrance.

Iphones may have an issue with dedicated Wifi networks as they seem to 'disconnect' if they 'know' there is no internet connection via a specific Wifi network......maybe wrong on that one....it's something I was told about some time ago.

Sending piccies via Bluetooth might be an easier option??

I use text to screen software, but it's one that I programmed and designed.....with great difficulty.
    You do need a mobile with a 'modem' option!

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    Iphones may have an issue with dedicated Wifi networks as they seem to 'disconnect' if they 'know' there is no internet connection via a specific Wifi network......maybe wrong on that one....it's something I was told about some time ago.

Sending piccies via Bluetooth might be an easier option??

I use text to screen software, but it's one that I programmed and designed.....with great difficulty.
    You do need a mobile with a 'modem' option!
    Well i tested this system and although the software is still in development for aesthetics, it works like a dream. Took me 5 seconds to find the network and then go to the web address and upload a photo onto the system. I would guess that it would depend on the server its logged into, as it had no issues, but I know that hotel systems and BT for are quite intrusive if your wifi drops out. I can foresee an issue if guests go out of range perhaps??

I have a staff do this Sunday so will give it a test run using one screen. I think this is going to be a very valuable (& relevant) personalisation for weddings as not only can you collate all the photos, but also hand the bride and groom a USB at the end of the day. Better still it can be run fully automated, so it will display all the photos and also fill up a USB stick without me having to worry about anything. The box is about the size of a fag packet and can be powered from the USB out and you can use custom repeaters on the system and add as many screens around the venue. Thats assuming the tech works that is LOL. Looking promising.

When I purchase this I will do a little client demo video and post it up here.
    Last edited by yourdj; 03-01-2018 at 02:59 PM.