Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: picture question

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I'm still confused why you want to work with a system that requires the customer to connect to your own wi-fi. My fear is that the uptake will be low.

Let's not forget that your wi-fi doesn't provide them with any internet access, so you'll soon have people complaining that you've broken their phone because their Facebook doesn't refresh...

For me, it would be logical to make sense of an existing platform such as Instagram or Twitter. Many brides already create a hashtag for the day where their friends can upload photos to Instagram. You just ride off the back of that.

The fact you need written instructions concerns me - whereas 'Instagram a photo with hash tag daveandjennywedding' is all that's required, and can be easily announced.

I've also heard that sites like WedPics.com don't actually get much response on the day itself - although that's anecdotal. But worth checking out the take up of such a service at a wedding, as it may be an indicator of the success of this type of service.

I hate being negative about this great concept, but when you charge for a service, brides build a level of expectation, and I fear they would be disappointed to receive 3 photos at the end of it...
    You know, if the local environment allows it, why not set up a wifi point with mobile internet as well? It should also be quite easy to set a cap on usage or download rates on each wifi user too with an open source access point solution. You could potentially be sneaky & 'borrow' venue wifi too if it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    On youtube now. Can we get a plug in on this forum for this for Vimeo Marc?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    What's to stop a guest uploading an obscene piccy of their genitalia?
    Absolutely all pictures need to be moderated and approved before being displayed.
    Good job its not just me that does not read/watch the posts. As per the video and webpage links, the Photos are withheld (often why i am playing an interactive slideshow/monogram) and only shown when approved. This function can be switched on and off.

Let's not forget that your wi-fi doesn't provide them with any internet access, so you'll soon have people complaining that you've broken their phone because their Facebook doesn't refresh...

I hate being negative about this great concept, but when you charge for a service, brides build a level of expectation, and I fear they would be disappointed to receive 3 photos at the end of it...
    I shall look into a the internet issue, Tapping into a venues supply or using bluetooth would be the obvious option. I don't know if phones can somehow use 4g and closed internet at the same time? The beauty of the system is it does not rely on internet. Being based in the forest, the supply in many venues are rather ropy and my main venue does not have an mobile signal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Call me a Sceptical Old Git,
    You are a Sceptical Old Git.

I hate being negative about this great concept
    Its like moving to digital from CD, there are always teething problem and good to embrace any potential issues, so being subjective is part of developing any product or service. Might be that using social media is the easiest option especially in the future when internet is everywhere, but this system works well at the moment.
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-01-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Being based in the forest, the supply in many venues are rather ropy and my main venue does not have an mobile signal at all.
    That's a fair, and important point, and good reasoning for using your non-internet required system.

In which case, if there is any way of enabling some internet access via your wi-fi hotspot, you'll soon find everyone has joined the 'free wifi' hotspot the moment they know they have no signal - which gets them halfway to being able to upload photos!

That's a fair, and important point, and good reasoning for using your non-internet required system.

In which case, if there is any way of enabling some internet access via your wi-fi hotspot, you'll soon find everyone has joined the 'free wifi' hotspot the moment they know they have no signal - which gets them halfway to being able to upload photos!
    Yes exactly. I was referring to the venue supply being ropy as they don't have fibre or its just rubbish. My other main venue has actually barred any non guests using it, or guests without a voucher using it now. I am guessing they have been hit with a huge bill and want to curb the bandwidth. I am unsure how to achieve this when I don't have a mobile signal 4G at least I would say, or decent venue internet really? You are right people will already be logged in and using the service and i could include a little explanation on the log in page. Plus I gather all the guests personal details for post event marketing and photo sharing (they click on terms and conditions), which in effect would pay for the cost of the internet as it can lead to other bookings.

Yes exactly. I was referring to the venue supply being ropy as they don't have fibre or its just rubbish. My other main venue has actually barred any non guests using it, or guests without a voucher using it now. I am guessing they have been hit with a huge bill and want to curb the bandwidth. I am unsure how to achieve this when I don't have a mobile signal 4G at least I would say, or decent venue internet really? You are right people will already be logged in and using the service and i could include a little explanation on the log in page. Plus I gather all the guests personal details for post event marketing and photo sharing (they click on terms and conditions), which in effect would pay for the cost of the internet as it can lead to other bookings.
    Don't give them your own 4G....that'll use a lot of bandwidth quickly. Travel routers (like the one I linked to earlier) can be used to take a WiFi that's available but then create their own hotspot using that internet but connecting devices to their own LAN IP range, so guests connecting to that will have internet, and also be able to use you "local" stuff. That's if the venue has a free WiFi.

I think if phones are connected to WiFi that doesn't have internet, they'll stay connected (maybe after a prompt) and use mobile data for anything online. So, connecting to your hotspot (if it doesn't have internet) won't necessarily kill their internet...

With the right 4g router you can stifle their bandwidth to stop them abusing it.

Also, you can quite easily do a mix of grubbing insta for a hashtag and still do local uploads. Win win win! (with a bit of coding)

Re phones & no Internet over wifi... My experience is that a phone will always prefer wifi to mobile data, internet or not. iDevices may differ.. I dunno. Never owned one

so if we go down the route of Instagram with #daveandjenny'sweddingday is it easy to run Instagram on a laptop and display the pics on a screen or would you have to use a tablet or something and find some app that will scroll the pics etc and also let you add pics advertising your own set up etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

I think if phones are connected to WiFi that doesn't have internet, they'll stay connected (maybe after a prompt) and use mobile data for anything online. So, connecting to your hotspot (if it doesn't have internet) won't necessarily kill their internet...
    Apparently a venue wifi connection button is already initiated, its just not on the front end of the software, so that solves that one.

I would rather that they use the mobile data (best option) if the connection is not great. A lot of venues don't have fibre connections in the forest as they are in the middle of knowehere.
    Last edited by yourdj; 20-01-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Default update on picture question

update
    this is where I am at the moment
    large screen at the front of booth on overhead gantry showing pictures from a dedicated folder on connected laptop by HDMI
    every now and then one of the pictures advertises the fact that guests can Bluetooth their pictures to a certain name such as wedding couple, birthday girl/boy etc
    laptop is renamed to party person or couple and then guests choose picture or take picture on phone and then choose share and send via Bluetooth to laptop.
    laptop folder which holds the pictures is linked to fast stone image viewer (freeware) which performs the slideshow on big screen.
    laptop displays folder and all images coming in as thumbnails and allows you to censor anything undesirable before it hits the big screen.
    all ok so far as I can see but only stumbling block is you have to watch laptop folder for incoming signals from phones etc that have to pair first with laptop before they can send pics.
    once initial pairing is done then no problem but I don't think you can do it with out pairing first.
    if anyone knows any different then let me know
    also been trying similar software from martin which is through Bluetooth and seems quite good as well.