Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bark

Toby, maybe it's worth reading over what you have written before posting sometimes? That's not a dig mate, but sometimes some of the lines you write unfortunately could cause offence to some people.
    When I was doing the job full time, yes...the Sid's as we refer to them as, did annoy me slightly but at the end of the day, we've all said it before, the 'tyre kickers' who are looking for the cheapest price possible and are either not interested or bothered about how you / we go about our business, are NOT our customers, are they?

I was never interested in those customers, because I knew / know I am worth more than that and I wouldn't drop the price just so that I could get the job and fill the diary..... Ok, that's not strictly true, because there were a few occasions over the years, mainly when I first started out, that I'd rather have dropped the price than be sat there on a Saturday night, watching rubbish TV when I should have been out working, because Friday's and Saturday's were the core days. Anyway, I'm just repeating what has been said many, many times before.

That was before.......... Now, it is different for me.
    Does it mean that I am a 'Sid' because I can afford to go out a bit cheaper and I am not doing the job full time?
    I put the same dedication into the bookings that I do take on (few and far between now), and my standards haven't dropped whatsoever. That doesn't make me an 'undesirable', not in my book. There are many like me who now work full time, but are still bloody good at what they do. I am not taking any work off anybody as far as I know, because I am not going out silly cheap.

I had an enquiry today by phone. The guy said I'd been recommended. This came from a wedding I did when I first moved up here and the venue owner asked me for a card. The guy who enquired today for his wedding also said that it was a definite booking. All I needed to do was say I was available......... I know I'm available, but I said I would check and get back to him as I want to make sure I am up for it before I agree to it.

Anyway, slightly off topic (apologies). As for Bark - I was contacted by them years ago and I signed up, but I got absolutely nothing from it so I binned them.
    I'm not keen on these 'middle men' type companies and would much rather get the work myself. A decent website and social media work will get you the work if you do it properly.

Like I said, not a dig and no offence intended.
    Now, I'm off out for the second week in a row (go me...!!), as I have another 80's booking tonight. Same place as last week because they enjoyed it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Now, I'm off out for the second week in a row (go me...!!),
    Blimey Gary - at two weeks on the trot you're doing better than most of the rest of the Norfolk contingent! You'll be meeting up with the other Norfolk DJs in McDonalds on a Saturday night before you know where you are!

Have you joined the Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex Mobile DJ network group on FB yet? Brilliant group of guys (and girls) who work across East Anglia (I'm a sort of affiliate member being the only Cambridgeshire member).

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    You'll be meeting up with the other Norfolk DJs in McDonalds on a Saturday night before you know where you are!
    Can anyone join? Two weeks in a row, I'm going to be on the borders of that. ( Not as bad as Dave and Mattysounds who thought they might also be at one point, after encountering a diversion on the M62. Poor souls were completely lost at one point. Fortunately, they hit a road home they knew with a little guidance.)
    Last edited by Excalibur; 25-02-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Oops, wrong section.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Blimey Gary - at two weeks on the trot you're doing better than most of the rest of the Norfolk contingent! You'll be meeting up with the other Norfolk DJs in McDonalds on a Saturday night before you know where you are!

Have you joined the Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex Mobile DJ network group on FB yet? Brilliant group of guys (and girls) who work across East Anglia (I'm a sort of affiliate member being the only Cambridgeshire member).
    I did take a look at it when I first moved up here as someone recommended I join, just as you have said.
    I haven't joined up though, because I just don't have the enthusiasm for the job like I used to have. I am more than happy getting the enquiries and cherry picking what I want to do now.
    I guess I am quite lucky at the moment, because I have a number of different ways of making an income. I have the driving side of things which I have done since I relocated (pretty tiring work due to early starts and the main reason for going easy on the DJ side of things), and last week I started a new role where I am working from home too.

Curses! Just used my valuable Bark credits on a lead near me, only to see it come up on add to event a hour later for pennies. Grrr.

That's what I thought....until this one came through this afternoon. I'm sure somebody will do it (because it's better than sitting at home doing nothing....innit).

Services requested:
    DJs, Mobile Discos
    Date:
    xxxxxxx
    Estimated time:
    1:30 PM
    Duration required:
    11 Hours
    Estimated number of guests:
    Early set up requested
    Yes
    Desired budget
    Less than £200

REALLY????????
    Where DO people get these silly numbers from????
    What I have found with these lead gen sites is you get a lot of people who were just interested in what something would cost - they aren't aware that each person is paying to make contact with this
 them. So the lead itself can often be very lukewarm!

Quote Originally Posted by Isobel View Post
    What I have found with these lead gen sites is you get a lot of people who were just interested in what something would cost - they aren't aware that each person is paying to make contact with this
 them. So the lead itself can often be very lukewarm!
    Absolutely correct Isobel, and one reason why so many requests not giving full details don't get replies. No point paying to respond to an enquiry which may easily be on a date that's not available.

Good to have you here from across the pond, could I ask you to pop across to the Newbies section and introduce yourself please. We're a sociable lot here, and like to know a bit about who we're typing to. Thanks.

Personally, it's too rich per lead to even look at where there's potentially no gain. What worries me is that with other lead generation sources, you'll see the same gig appear in multiple places (i.e. it will appear on NaD, ampDJ and AddToEvent)....I've yet to see one of the Bark leads do this.
    Jackpot!!! In the course of five minutes, an enquiry came up on Bark and Add to event. I replied to it when it subsequently arrived through AmpDJ, and suggested they might like to look at my feedback on NaD.

You're ahead of me, aren't you? Yup, it's just arrived on NaD. It's moving around a bit, too. It's gone from a club I've played in on the AmpDJ site, to a private residence on NaD, the numbers are fluctuating, and the age of the guests isn't set in stone, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Jackpot!!! In the course of five minutes, an enquiry came up on Bark and Add to event. I replied to it when it subsequently arrived through AmpDJ, and suggested they might like to look at my feedback on NaD.

You're ahead of me, aren't you? Yup, it's just arrived on NaD. It's moving around a bit, too. It's gone from a club I've played in on the AmpDJ site, to a private residence on NaD, the numbers are fluctuating, and the age of the guests isn't set in stone, either.
    I've not had anything from Bark for ages so my spam filter is obviously working.

Couldn't tell you the last time I bid on anything from Amp - I reckon it's at least 2 years.

NaD is going the way of the dodo too imo - I now knock back well over 90% of enquiries and that's even with filters in place, I should really look at changing them.

On the upside it does mean I'm not wasting ages firing off quotes to noneties / letting the competition see my sales blurb.

Bark??? Who are they???? (I've managed to stop the junk flying in from them).
    Add2Event - cancelled that one. 99% of what comes through there are bottom feeders or have been let down by their already cheap DJ and haven't learned their lesson.
    ampDJ - I get a lead occasionally. Unfortunately most of those are for Karaoke so not for me.

I've also left NaD - no more silly invented budgets coming this way and replying to leads you'll never hear from again. Best bit is, despite the threats of my SEO suffering, I'm still in business and getting jobs....just for a sensible price now and less frustration