Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bark

Default Bark

Hi,

I've joined bark.com and have had a load of enquires be sent to me. I'm yet to buy any credits to contact anyone yet.

Has/does anyone else use these and are all the requests genuine/worth while?

Thanks in advance.
    Nathan.

Jury's out on that one. Many seem to think it's a con (especially the price of the leads and the fact it's rare to hear back).
    I believe our own Peter had a pop at one a little while back and hasn't heard anything since....

Personally, it's too rich per lead to even look at where there's potentially no gain. What worries me is that with other lead generation sources, you'll see the same gig appear in multiple places (i.e. it will appear on NaD, ampDJ and AddToEvent)....I've yet to see one of the Bark leads do this.

I'll echo what Wayne has said about the jury being out.

My research has shown that I too am not convinced by the quality of the leads received.

I've recently been looking at AddToEvent, and that on first appearances seems to have a slightly higher quality of lead.

The main benefit to you is these 'pay per lead' websites get a lower response from DJs compared to a NeedADisco lead, where you can be in competition with 20+ DJs.

So if the lead is high quality, you have a greater chance of winning.

Be conscious that these type of websites typically (but not always) attract budget conscious shoppers, so tend to have a low success rate for premium DJs.

I tried AddtoEvents and questioned them about "genuine" leads.......as I was getting loads with people of the same Christian name.

They never really gave me a definitive answer......I told them that if they displayed the name of the dj that "won" the lead then that would quash calls of "false leads".....they refused point blank!

I did say that I wasn't interested in how much they charged.....but who (so that we know it was genuine)

Still refused...

In my opinion, I can't see the problem with displaying the name of the winner.....UNLESS they have something to hide!

Other so called "agencies" might be different....

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    In my opinion, I can't see the problem with displaying the name of the winner.....UNLESS they have something to hide!
    That requires them to add in a system where they actively chase and follow up with the client regarding who they awarded the work too.

What I have found with these lead gen sites is you get a lot of people who were just interested in what something would cost - they aren't aware that each person is paying to make contact with them. So the lead itself can often be very lukewarm!

For AddToEvent, take a close look at the 'message' field. If that's sparse, move on. If it's filled in, it can help identify how genuine the lead is, and also how relevant it is to you.

Here's some recent ones I've received (not contacted)

"Just looking at dj hire for a surprise 30th in October. Needs to be able to play oldies and new stuff from across all genres." (Just looking at sounds quite vague - sounds like they're considering a surprise party, and looking for costs at the moment)

"i've planned a surprise 40th party for both of my parents for 10th feb. looking for a DJ the party starts at 7 till about 11.30. in newbury" (Much stronger - they've actually booked the party and do need a DJ)

"Small birthday party more for background music with little dancing Veronica" (desired budget was set to less than £200 so they'll be looking for the cheapest option)

"Hi just looking for quotes to do a surprise bday party for my husband" (again, looking for prices rather than wanting to book)

So if you cherry pick who you contact, that can help increase your conversion rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Jury's out on that one. Many seem to think it's a con (especially the price of the leads and the fact it's rare to hear back).
    I believe our own Peter had a pop at one a little while back and hasn't heard anything since....
    He has not only tried the free offering, but invested £20 of his hard earned as well. With only around a fiver of it left, it's not looking too hopeful. You don't half get a quantity of leads, though.

One of the plus points is that when you respond, you get a phone number. I called one tonight, and it was indeed a genuine lead, but they had decided to go for a band instead.
    The biggest downside is that Bark leads are expensive, and as they're likely to be lower priced, it would be very easy to spend say £50 in a short space of time, but take a long time to recoup at low prices. My first NaD gig was a £500 one. It took a while to win, so maybe I'm being a bit hasty with Bark.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Personally, it's too rich per lead to even look at where there's potentially no gain. What worries me is that with other lead generation sources, you'll see the same gig appear in multiple places (i.e. it will appear on NaD, ampDJ and AddToEvent)....I've yet to see one of the Bark leads do this.
    And that is exactly the niggling doubt I have.

I'm not condemning Bark, but I'm not yet convinced, either. Jury's out here also.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I've been on needadisco for a few years and I think I need to start looking hard at other providers, purely because there seems to be an issue with NaD and Bristol. I haven't seen a lead (for a job worth more than £150) for Bristol for months!

I'm not sure where Bristolians are shopping for Discos at the moment, but it's not NaD.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Question

I've used bark in the past, and still have 13 credits left.

I have had some work from them, but not much. Lead wise I get loads. I too have become very skeptical with the authenticity of some leads, some like very similar.

6 Credits a contact is too steep for the conversion ratios (Works out at about £8 per lead contacted)

I did receive a lead a few months ago for a venue which I know. As soon as I got the bark email, (within a few minutes) I called then venue, and they already had a DJ for it????

So someone must have been very quick at submitting a quote!

You have the potential to pay for a lead which could be a) genuine, b) fake, c) Already booked. Odds are already against you.

So, I've pretty much given up with bark. I do still have 13 credits left, so I'll take a couple more punts with the leads I feel more genuine.

As for NAD (and AddtoEvent), leads here are drying up too, not been getting much suitable for the last few months.

Where have all the leads gone

I have spoke to another DJ I network with recently, it's looking like most of the hotels, conference centers, restaurants etc have contracts with events companies.

Perhaps work is drying up now unless your with an agency, or willing to be a sid

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Perhaps work is drying up now unless your with an agency, or willing to be a sid
    I think its just the time of year, normally I don't get a lot from October to mid Jan. Mid Feb is the time for enquiries rand ere.

Also i have seen a lot of hotels move back to agents and small quality multi ops like myself. I personally think this is because a few local agents have modernised a bit, private DJ prices have gone up at least 2-3 fold now as we are all talking to each other now and agents like myself are more with the times and can offer top quality modern entertainment at a reasonable price and also extra reassurance over the one man band. I don't know about side (or what ever) as i never come across them or have any issues with cheaper DJ's as I work with clients/venues that value paying a bit more for better options.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I've recently been looking at AddToEvent, and that on first appearances seems to have a slightly higher quality of lead.
    That's what I thought....until this one came through this afternoon. I'm sure somebody will do it (because it's better than sitting at home doing nothing....innit).

Services requested:
    DJs, Mobile Discos
    Date:
    xxxxxxx
    Estimated time:
    1:30 PM
    Duration required:
    11 Hours
    Estimated number of guests:
    Early set up requested
    Yes
    Desired budget
    Less than £200

REALLY????????
    Where DO people get these silly numbers from????