Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Subwoofer question

Default Subwoofer question

Hi folks,
    I have a pair of 600x powered Alto speakers. Looking to buy a subwoofer and have seen one that is a 1200w powered. If this was supplying the signal to the Alto’s, would thete be any danger to them because of the watt defferences?
    Thanks
    Alan

Short answer, none whatsoever.

Long answer follows later tonight, unless Justin gets there first. I know how much he loves explaining the true power figures of Alto kit.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Short answer, none whatsoever.

Long answer follows later tonight, unless Justin gets there first. I know how much he loves explaining the true power figures of Alto kit.
    Oi! I resemble that remark!

Anyway no. You're merely transferring line level audio from the bin to the tops so power ratings (made up or not) don't figure.

If it's an alto sub it won't really be 1200w just like the tops aren't really 600W. And if it's qtx, you'll be lucky if its 100w RMS. No, really. They get their numbers from the pie in the sky. Mind, so do the majority of speaker makers but qtx are especially bad liars. Mackie are also notorious for massively exaggerating their power output figures. Besides its what they sound like that counts. Watts & even max SPL figures are MEANINGLESS - on account of manufacturers bending the truth to extremes.

For what it's worth I'm still using my alto ts115a speakers albeit with a (true) 400w rms bin. They sound alright but I'll be upgrading soon.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 04-01-2018 at 02:21 PM.

cheers guys, thanks. appreciated. That makes sense then, that its just the line signal which will then hit the power amps in the speakers. The sub in question is a rather good one, a Mackie Thump:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-dj-e...fer/1281516463

Would look at using it as a single sub.
    Thanks
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Darnfatruler View Post
    The sub in question is a rather good one, a Mackie Thump:
    But as Justin and I suspected, it's 600w RMS, not 1200.
    According to the manual, it will achieve 130dB, so it should still be very loud. Should cope with a pair of Alto tops easily.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Take all the numbers in spec sheets with a large dose of salt folks. Mackie Thump tops claim they're something ridiculous like 800W when in reality the amplifiers inside are more like 130W for the woofer & 80W for the tweeter & I'd expect the specs of the bin to be similarly exaggerated. Pay no heed to this. If the bin is good & loud enough for the intended job in practise, it's a good one