Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your DMX Control

Default Your DMX Control

Hi,

Tried doing a search on here with 'dmx' but get no results oddly

I've scrolled through here but quite a few old threads which may no longer be relevant to my question.

What DMX software do you use to control your lights? Looking at options at the moment and the ADJ Airstream has caught my eye due to being able to control and set-up with a iPad.

Any other good options out there that don't cost the Earth? The Chauvet Show Express UI seems pretty horrible at a quick glance.

Or do you still use a physical controller?
    Nathan.

I'm a bit unique (some would say special but hey-ho).

I use a software solution called LightKey (only available on Mac) and it's absolutely awesome.
    Costs about £70 pa for a license to use it, but its been so stable compared to anything else I've ever used that it's just one of those expenses involved in running the business.

I use this, its wonderful and very simple:

I also have this system which is also good for what it is (this is for sale btw):

Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

MyDMX 3 for my main lighting rig

MyDMX 2.1 for my mood lighting but I'll probably end up upgrading to 3 in the next 6 months or so for that too.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

MyDMX 2.1 for my mood lighting but I'll probably end up upgrading to 3 in the next 6 months or so for that too.
    I'm still using 2.1.

Haven't really looked at 3 yet as 2.1 is doing a great job for me. Should something break, I'll more than likely go for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I'm still using 2.1.

Haven't really looked at 3 yet as 2.1 is doing a great job for me. Should something break, I'll more than likely go for 3.
    That's pretty much what happened with me

I've not even scratched the surface of what 3 can do but it is a big jump for on the spot editing and doing things live.

QLC+.

Free but pretty powerful software with some great tutorial videos and support.

works with most dongles too.
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    QLC+.

Free but pretty powerful software with some great tutorial videos and support.

works with most dongles too.
    Doesn't work with Chauvet or ADJ DMX interfaces though & won't because the scamps lock their software to them. Booo!

Another vote for QLC+ here.

Chamsys MagicQ software with their £12 dongle. Bit complicated to get used to until the penny drops on how to stack routines but, once that happens, you're good to go and the world is your oyster!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

OK - I'll bite (I'm curious and always on the lookout for something "better")....

I absolutely LOVE LightKey because it does exactly what I want it to do...but it's expensive every year to renew the license.

So...myDMX...I have questions....

• Does it detect the beat of the music to move the show onto the next step?
    • Is there any facility to link to the VDJ beat grid or create shows for specific tracks?
    • Does it work with ANY fixture (i.e. not just ADJ)?
    • How easy is it to add a new fixture into the show? (for example, Freestyler requires a LOT of reprogramming whereas Lightkey will allow a new fixture to be programmed in independantly)
    • Can you split the show so that you have different settings for different fixtures (i.e. groups) and can trigger these independently? For example, a button for PARS, a button for scanners, a button for Freedom Sticks?
    • Can you insert a wireless transceiver dongle to control wireless fixtures?

Sorry - a lot of questions there but I don't ever trust the manufacturer's specs (I got caught with Chauvet's DiFi system!). Any real world experience answers would be appreciated before I start playing....