Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source DJs - Hertfordshire

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Unfortunately what's happening at the moment (New Year's Eve anyone?) is that people are thinking it's an easy way to cream money off the top of a DJs fee for the sake of taking a few bookings at whatever price and farming them out to A.N.Other DJ willing to work for low money. These are the ones that also take bookings at rock-bottom prices just to secure the gig.
    A bit like Carillion's business plan eh? and we all know what happened there.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    . These are the ones that also take bookings at rock-bottom prices just to secure the gig.

THEY are the "agents" I have a real problem with.
    I'm on the mailing list for one. Usually get a text while I'm setting up: "Anyone free tonight " ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    A bit like Carillion's business plan eh? and we all know what happened there.
    Coming close to breaching forum guidelines there, I feel. Topical, but hardly Disco related.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

one of the things that bothered me about the whole idea was they asked for a list of kit thus giving them a location for said kit ending up with kit being stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm on the mailing list for one. Usually get a text while I'm setting up: "Anyone free tonight " ?
    Trip to Leeds for £100 !

Thanks but no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Despite the odd spammy approach it does seem like an idea I had when I was running a mini agency. Get good contacts in many areas, market yourself all over and take a cut. Certainly wasn't easy, I used about 10 DJs over a 200 mile radius, very stressful job, wasn't all that well paid. Very hard to make a successful agency, so whilst I'm sure no disrespect was really meant towards agents I'm sure they do just plenty for the money.
    Bloody hell, thats a recipe for letting a lot of people down. How did you manage to vet the DJ's or did you just book them blind? What's wrong with starting with Dorset and then expanding from there? I think If i really wanted to I could really make a good agency covering Hampshire (and beyond), but I am more about quality over quantity so only take 4 bookings on any one night. Having said that a premium DJ agency would not be a bad idea for the UK (as I know most the best DJ/MC's in person).

I would rather put my money into bitcoin than create all that hard work for myself!!

Agencies can get it right - I was a member of Function Central and Warble for a few years and they seem to have some decent acts on their books. THAT is how to do it. You would need an office with a small team as one person just can't manage it!! I was not really happy with the lack of attention to detail or personal connection with the client (as I always meet and chat to clients), but for most DJ's its a good company to work for. Nor sure what their fees were but i was getting £400+ and that was 5+ years back.

https://www.warble-entertainment.com
    https://www.functioncentral.co.uk

Yes this may not be a scam, probably a wrong choice of words there. What I meant was they are probably going to over charge clients and get crap DJ's who probably wont show up, or ruin the function, or at the best they will pay them 20% of what they charge and rip off some decent talent.

One way or another a lot of people will be let down, especially as it sound like its one person in a bedroom with an idea like the above ^^^
    Last edited by yourdj; 19-01-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/