Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saxophonists

Default Saxophonists

I am sure I posted about this before, but can't find it so started a new thread.

Last year I worked with a couple of sax players and their popularity seems to be increasing as have quite a number this year. I must admit they are great, however maybe not always popular as I find they play too early in the evening.

My gripe is that every one expects to just plug into my system. Now, when I work with musicians who I know and work regularly with I have no problem with this, however am unsure what damage a sax could potentially cause.

Added to this, there is the extra responsibility. Although unlikely, who would be to blame if for some reason the mic channel etc didn't work ?

Realistically I think this is something we should be charging for, and even taking a deposit as you would when hiring pa - however my attempt at this has backfired with quite an irate bride wondering why she should have to pay when everything is already there - can kind of see her point if honest.

I had thought about claiming to not have the facility, but people aren't daft and it is hard to say yes to some and no to others when working in the same venues regularly.

Currently I am looking at drafting some form of agreement out for the sax players to sign to negate any blame and make them aware of replacement costs should any equipment be damaged.

It just annoys me how people rock up, use my pa then disappear without even as much as a thank you most of the time. Also I am multi op and some of my DJs aren't keen on allowing this which will mean I have to drop speakers off for them which is all added work (and expense) for nothing.

What are your thoughts ? Should we just say 'yes, no problem', charge for the service or say 'no', or anything else ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Maybe add it to the booking agreement that unless there is prior agreement, no other supplier can use your sound system. Then add to your 'You break it, you pay it' clause that this also includes other suppliers, making the client liable of their chosen suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Maybe add it to the booking agreement that unless there is prior agreement, no other supplier can use your sound system. Then add to your 'You break it, you pay it' clause that this also includes other suppliers, making the client liable of their chosen suppliers.
    That is a good thought, although my current T&C states that nobody is allowed to use my PA - but just gets ignored obviously
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Those folk using LD Maui Mix/G2 systems above a 5 are in a fortunate position. Since these systems are designed for live acts more than DJs, it's a piece of cake to simply stand the live Artiste next to one stick, and let him/her plug in to their heart's content. Whether other stick rigs have this facility, I don't know.

Due to some at LD missing off the link socket on the 5, you can only let them have one stick, unless you get involved in some messy wiring. Interestingly enough, the 5 Go has this socket.

OK, to actually answer the question: If and when I get a pair of Maui 11s, then no problem. That's the whole point of having them. If I'm using the standard boxes, then we're in a whole different ballgame. One microphone channel isn't too difficult, but more than that and we're likely to need an additional mixer. It may be as simple and compact as this little fella, or the full size FOH jobby, which doesn't usually travel without prior warning.

Prior warning and post gig thanks are welcome, but the lack of either, and a presumption of a right to use the PA don't sit well with any of us, I'm sure.

I'm just waiting for young Shaun to pop up and remind us that " he brings enough equipment to ensure he can do his job, but not anyone else's ". I genuinely think the tide is turning somewhat, and while years ago it would not have been worthy of a second thought, I believe all performers/providers ( DJs included ) are becoming more insular. It could have a lot to do with this blame culture, I think, which is sad but understandable.

Don't forget that your PLI won't cover other artistes pulling down your PA stack onto the guests, only yourselves.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I don't let anyone use our system....

If they are being paid to do a job, then they use their own equipment as far as i'm concerned.

rant over

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    I don't let anyone use our system....

If they are being paid to do a job,
    then they use their own equipment as far as i'm concerned.

rant over
    Fair enough. But what if it's a friend/relative/other unpaid performer?

If it's a 'true' performer then they should have their own equipment.
    No one should assume that they can use your equipment (without prior consent anyway)

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

No one should assume that they can use your equipment (without prior consent anyway)
    "Hi, Madam client? You've got a disco, yeah? Do you know if I can use their system?"

"I'm sure it'll be fine."

I'm willing to put money on this conversation happening regularly.

its the ones that turn up, without you knowing, that are the issue.....assuming they can use your equipment.

Enthusiastic amateur? Twelve year old sister of the bride with a special song? Great Aunt Gladys who used to sing with Joe Loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    "Hi, Madam client? You've got a disco, yeah? Do you know if I can use their system?"

"I'm sure it'll be fine."

I'm willing to put money on this conversation happening regularly.
    Somehow Benny, I don't expect anyone to give long odds on that.
    We're soon going to end up with the old favourites ignorance and education. Clients being ignorant of what Mobile DJs routinely offer ( even though it was clearly stated in the contract they signed ), and us DJs trying to educate them to ASK QUESTIONS!!!

Very few hurdles are impossible to clear with a clear run up. ( ie, advance warning ). Those of us who can routinely do it from a standing start are a dying breed, apparently.

“To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect.” – Oscar Wilde