Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: DDJ-RB freezing

Hybrid View

Default DDJ-RB freezing

Hi,

Was at a gig last night and our newly bought Pioneer DDJ-RB froze about 3 or 4 times!

Both decks would stop playing and wouldn't restart for at least 5 seconds.

All the time they wouldn't play the knobs and faders were still responsive on screen.

During the test runs this hasn't happened once!

We had to change over into a back-up, cheap controller which ran all night without a hitch!

Any idea if there's an issue with the controller or a weird setting somewhere?

Running on VDJ with Windows 10. I've asked over on the VDJ forum but the response(s) are slow!

Thanks in advance.
    Nathan.

Funny you say that, had the same problem last night with my Denon MC4000. Everything functioned fine, but play would just not work, so had silence for a bit (during buffet). I had to restart serato and it was fine for the rest of the night? It was the first outing but I could not work out the cause. I had some really spoilt kids shouting at me so after my second polite warning told them to do one.

The only 3 things I could think of are:

- I downloaded a track and dropped it in from a folder - thats when it happened.
    - User error of some sort, its a new piece of kit. Cant work out what??
    - I downloaded Serato yesterday so may be something on their end.
    Thats the most logical as I have not had any problems as I had no issues when testing.
    - I still have the trial warning showing (despite buying the software), so it may shut off, worked fine after though??

Only happened once mind you. obviously we are using separate software and hardware so probably not connected whatsoever.

Name:  27661745_1765067696871848_845269918_n.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  46.8 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 04-02-2018 at 11:48 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Hmm. That's odd!

At first I thought it was the side that was playing that just stopped (the metal top of the Pioneer seems to think you're still touching it, possibly a little moisture left on?) but for both sides to freeze and then both resume at the same time is odd, especially when one side hadn't even been touched.

Who'd thought a £80 Nurmark test run midi for home use would be better than a Pioneer costing more than twice that.
    Nathan.

Are there any firmware updates available for it? (Do Pioneer have those? I'm not a Pioneer user personally).

I had my Denon MC7000 go wrong before Xmas (only about it's third gig). Turns out a Mac update had some sort of clash with the internal firmware of the controller (which took Denon weeks to admit!) which caused distortion through the PA....but only after running for about 10 minutes first. It's worked perfectly in test ever since. Secretly dreading using it in the real world next week though just in case....

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Are there any firmware updates available for it? (Do Pioneer have those? I'm not a Pioneer user personally).

I had my Denon MC7000 go wrong before Xmas (only about it's third gig). Turns out a Mac update had some sort of clash with the internal firmware of the controller (which took Denon weeks to admit!) which caused distortion through the PA....but only after running for about 10 minutes first. It's worked perfectly in test ever since. Secretly dreading using it in the real world next week though just in case....
    Not that I'm aware of, the only time the laptop and controller has been online is when installing the latest versions (VDJ, Rekordbox and the DDJ-RB pack).
    Nathan.

If the midi side of the controller is responsive, but the sound side has stopped, it usually means the USB sound card has run out of data because the PC can't get data to it fast enough....

Sometimes caused by noise on the USB cables (e.g. smoke machine) sometimes by something else taking over the CPU (or firmware/software clashes), preventing the software from getting data out the USB port fast enough. Usually fixed by pushing up latency in config somewhere (i.e. giving the controller a larger buffer to use before it runs out) and if it's noise on the cable, by adding ferrite cores to the USB cables.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography