Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Studio Amp

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Studio Amp

Next week, I'm moving house and since this will be my first time buying a home, and thus will no longer be in rented accommodation, I'm drilling holes in the walls, baby!

I've got a pair of KRK Rockit 6 studio monitors, and my plan is to run a desktop computer, a TV, a Traktor S4 Kontroller and a digital radio through one easy to use interface.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp or mixer that would be appropriate? It's obviously just for personal use so I'm not looking to spend the earth.

Thinking about it, with the KRKs being powered, it will have to be a mixer, won't it?

Yup. It sounds like you'll be needing a mixer. A mixer with lots of stereo inputs - if you don't want to be moving 2 faders per channel it'll probably need to be a dj mixer. Or just use an RCA source switcher. 4-way switchers are very common & prices range from dirt cheap to 'I can't believe the difference putting different feet on the box made' hifi levels.

Schweetings! Cheers, J-Dawg!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Yup. It sounds like you'll be needing a mixer. A mixer with lots of stereo inputs -
    I count four line inputs. I found lots of compact mixers which failed by a whisker, and in truth some might have worked, especially ones with a built in USB soundcard for the computer.

Justin is undoubtedly correct that a DJ mixer will be suitable, especially one with USB capability. Only problem is, it's a somewhat large piece of kit, unless Benny is planning on turning one room of Smyth Towers into a full Studio/Theatre/Entertainment Complex.

Studiomaster C3 Family would be a more discreet and possibly more versatile solution.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I count four line inputs. I found lots of compact mixers which failed by a whisker, and in truth some might have worked, especially ones with a built in USB soundcard for the computer.

Justin is undoubtedly correct that a DJ mixer will be suitable, especially one with USB capability. Only problem is, it's a somewhat large piece of kit, unless Benny is planning on turning one room of Smyth Towers into a full Studio/Theatre/Entertainment Complex.

Studiomaster C3 Family would be a more discreet and possibly more versatile solution.
    When I still lived with my folks I used to do source jiggering in my studio/bedroom with a DJ mixer but it soon became a royal pain in the .. I ended up buying a nice little source selector switch from that nice bloke who used to do the holiday camp in Hi-Di-Hi.

Then when I got my own place I upgraded to a 'receiver' (i.e. amp with builtin tuner) with as many line inputs as I needed (and 2 more because well... ).

God, I really miss my old studio. I sometimes practice mixing & do the occasional production at home but somehow headphones just aren't the same as hearing music pounding out of speakers right in front of you.

The C3 looks like that would do the job nicely, and certainly more subtle than the Mackie 802VLZ4 I was eyeing up.

Thanks, Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

Then when I got my own place I upgraded to a 'receiver' (i.e. amp with builtin tuner) with as many line inputs as I needed (and 2 more because well... ).
    Now you've done it!! I'm misting up here with memories of a champagne coloured Marantz system.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    The C3 looks like that would do the job nicely, and certainly more subtle than the Mackie 802VLZ4 I was eyeing up.

Thanks, Peter.
    No worries Benny, you may show your appreciation in the time honoured way at GIG ( née BPM ).

The C3 came up at the end of the search. I found a sooo nearly suitable zoning mixer from Adastra which would have let you have different music at different levels in different rooms!!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I ended up buying this about a month ago. Very good for what I'm using it for, so thanks again Peter!