Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Not that us DJs are renowned for blowing our own trumpets...

Default Not that us DJs are renowned for blowing our own trumpets...

But I won 'Highly Commended' in the Best DJ category at the Scottish Wedding Awards on Monday night

Well done Jim - well deserved!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    But I won 'Highly Commended' in the Best DJ category at the Scottish Wedding Awards on Monday night
    Oh what a rich vein that offers for jests, jibes and whimsy, but I shall eschew such frivolity in favour of:

Well done that man.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oh what a rich vein that offers for jests, jibes and whimsy, but I shall eschew such frivolity in favour of:

Well done that man.
    It also offers a golden marketing opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    It also offers a golden marketing opportunity
    www.scotlandspartydj.com

You know what, I'm cynical about all of these things (I hung up on them when they phoned as I'd taken nothing to do with it and thought they were just after money) however:

It was a fun thing to attend with the wife

It's not going to be a game changer advertising or booking wise but it's always another string to my bow

And, whilst I was part of a team that won a Scottish Education Award last year (which is actually important in the grand scheme of things), I'm a lot prouder of this than I thought I would be as I've built the company completely on my own and obviously enough clients thought it was worth nominating me.

It's easy to be cynical about awards. And when you look at them, they're never perfect.

But that's not the point of them. As Wayne correctly says, it's a marketing opportunity.

Use it as a PR opportunity - much more than just sticking the logo on your website.

Here's an example of the coverage I got out of the TWIAs:

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/island-...dustry-awards/

Not only did I receive a nice bit of PR that gets social media promotion, but a nice juicy backlink to my website from a respected website.

Side note: I spent more money on the PR than I did entering the award...

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It's easy to be cynical about awards. And when you look at them, they're never perfect.

But that's not the point of them. As Wayne correctly says, it's a marketing opportunity.

Use it as a PR opportunity - much more than just sticking the logo on your website.

Here's an example of the coverage I got out of the TWIAs:

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/island-...dustry-awards/

Not only did I receive a nice bit of PR that gets social media promotion, but a nice juicy backlink to my website from a respected website.

Side note: I spent more money on the PR than I did entering the award...
    Oh I've already been in touch with the local rag. A good mate has left them a few weeks back which sucks because it would already be in print but the guy who got back to me was keen to have a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Oh I've already been in touch with the local rag. A good mate has left them a few weeks back which sucks because it would already be in print but the guy who got back to me was keen to have a chat.
    Excellent.

Where possible, pay to get a press release written. There's loads of PR people around who will write a press release for about £50.

The reason? Local journos are snowed under. They don't have time to write stories.

If you can email them a story that's been written correctly, they can literally 'copy and paste'.

As a journo, if you've got to source and write 10 stories, if one comes in your lap ready written, that's a quick tick on their list for another story!

Plus, when they copy and paste the story, it communicates the message in the way you want