Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightrider and Art-Net

Default Lightrider and Art-Net

OK - it's snowing outside (a LOT), I've got no gig this weekend and I'm "playing"

Been looking at Light-Rider for the iPad because it looks like it's going to cut down on the hardware I need to run the show (i.e. just use an iPad instead of a separate laptop for lighting).

But as always....I'm confused

It appears that there are two ways to get the output from the iPad

1. Any Nicolaudie Group Ethernet - DMX interface (e.g. Sunlite Suite2-FC, Daslight DVC4-GZM) wired to WIFI network.

That's not going to happen at just short of a grand for a DMX interface!

2. Any Art-Net device. An in-app purchase costing $99/€89 is required on iPad. A DVC FUN, SUNLITE-BC, SUSHI or compatible myDMX device is required on Android with the $99/€89 Art-Net upgrade. We are currently offering an introductory free period which will expire in Spring 2018.

Now - this is where I get completely and utterly lost. Can anyone give me any pointers on what I'm actually looking for here?
    I'm assuming (but not sure) that it's got to be some sort of wireless device and that the iPad transmits to said Art-Net device and then out to the usual DMX routes via cable or wifi dongles?

Ahaaaa.....I think I've got it

My understanding from a little more reading around is that I need a WiFi router which the iPad will connect to, then a CAT5 cable coming from the back of that into the ArtNet dongle, then out as usual.....hmmmmm......

Justin - I know you're up on this sort of thing....am I in the right group of trees?

May I urge all users to be mindful of my beloved Rule 23:

All posts must be in the English language.

I'm understanding less and less of what you young 'uns post nowadays, and as for Marc J, well he's a lost cause.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Ok Peter. Here's a little explanation.

Artnet: it's DMX over a network connection - LOTS & LOTS of DMX.. it can support as many universes (bunches of up to 512 channels) as the network will allow. For a wired network that's umm.. rather a lot.

You can do artnet over wifi or wired network connections & it just so happens I've got a thing in the works to do wireless artnet to DMX - and fit them inside my lights It'll be smaller than the Chinesey wireless DMX boards some of us here already use - and it'll handily do away with the need of a USB DMX interface on yer laptop (or tablet).

More news as I have it - I'm currently waiting on some modules coming from China to build the 1st 5 prototypes.

You can already buy a ready made thingy though - I'm friendly with the guy who makes these. With one of his NetDMX devices, just give it power from a USB port, plug it into a wifi router's ethernet port, connect your tablet to it, point the light control software at the network address of the NetDMX device & voila!. It's all very affordable.

FYI the component cost of my wifi artnet to DMX effort is likely to be under a tenner. Call it £15 built, or thereabouts.

Clear as mud, Justin, but thanks anyway.

Bring back the Zero 2250, I say. I understood that, the original plug'n'play.

And for the kiddies who have never seen such complicated kit, here's a link.

You plugged it into the mains, plugged a lightbox into the bulgin socket, and a jack plug into your speaker. When the speaker made a noise, the lights flashed.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 03-03-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I remember them so well........especially when the 'triacs' used to blow!

I spent ages looking for a zero 4000 up until last year (rare as hen's teeth).
    Ended up having to DMX the old light screens via one of these

A Zero 4000? I used to DREAM of owning a Zero 4000!

DIY all the way for me, from my own design (3 channel very basic chaser, later expanded to 4 channels) to an 8 channel one in kit form.. Those were the days.

Just a thought,

I seem to remember you use Chamsys currently?
    you could install this on your main laptop - it really won't cause any problem, just set up an executer window and have that appear on the iPad - job done with no money spent

the issue with aren't and wifi routers is it rarely works which is why artnet kit is so expensive as its not just a standard network as consumer grade network kit cant handle it esp over wifi.

or look at visual productions who have a great ipad control system for basic dmx -toby i think uses this.

I've successfully tested artnet with 2 universes going at full rate to 5 metres of RGB LED tape non-stop - over my home wifi router. In a massively crowded RF environment.. maybe not so much.