Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightrider and Art-Net

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I've successfully tested artnet with 2 universes going at full rate to 5 metres of RGB LED tape non-stop - over my home wifi router. In a massively crowded RF environment.. maybe not so much.
    in fairness i should have said for basic things it might work, i have had a couple of movers working over wifi before using expensive nodes and routers but once i added more in with lots of data it lagged which is not acceptable. so have invested in proper wireless dmx systems but given what this will be used for high quality router may be ok.

the other issue is that even only a couple of universes (which is a lot of data) it may work fine ion one location but as using domestic kit it may not work in another.
    you cant guarantee the reliability.

Out of interest what led tape where you using that is 5m long and has 1024 channels?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    in fairness i should have said for basic things it might work, i have had a couple of movers working over wifi before using expensive nodes and routers but once i added more in with lots of data it lagged which is not acceptable. so have invested in proper wireless dmx systems but given what this will be used for high quality router may be ok.

the other issue is that even only a couple of universes (which is a lot of data) it may work fine ion one location but as using domestic kit it may not work in another.
    you cant guarantee the reliability.

Out of interest what led tape where you using that is 5m long and has 1024 channels?
    5 metres of 64 LED per metre RGB tape = 5 * 64 * 3 = 960 channels.

Here was me thinking one universe would always be enough

5 metres of 64 LED per metre RGB tape = 5 * 64 * 3 = 960 channels.

Here was me thinking one universe would always be enough
    do you have a link to it? i may have a use for this!

can never have enough universes, the musical xmas tree at longleat we worked on has over 550 full universes qwith over 185thousand 5gb led's!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    do you have a link to it? i may have a use for this!

can never have enough universes, the musical xmas tree at longleat we worked on has over 550 full universes qwith over 185thousand 5gb led's!
    Just bog standard WS2812 LED tape Chris. Loads of it on Ebay

Just realised I made a mistake it's only 60 LEDs/m not 64. Still quite a lot of channels though (for a mobile DJ!).

550 universes? Holy moly.

Though I increasingly find myself looking at stage tech pondering how many universes 'that little lot' is. #Nerd

Edit: BTW it's unlikely I'm going to be splattering loads of universes of LED pixel tape data over wifi in my ultimate application. What I'm actually planning to do is have a controller with builtin programs & control those over wifi artnet
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 04-03-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Just bog standard WS2812 LED tape Chris. Loads of it on Ebay

Just realised I made a mistake it's only 60 LEDs/m not 64. Still quite a lot of channels though (for a mobile DJ!).

550 universes? Holy moly.

Though I increasingly find myself looking at stage tech pondering how many universes 'that little lot' is. #Nerd
    thanks will get some ordered up - i have an idea!

yhea most shows use lots of universes but not always fully but to utilize cable - for example a universe per truss.

mind you the way most things are going you can use a couple of universes per short truss.

but expect most stage shows to be using over 25 universes ish.

then at festivals, I've turned up with the artist crew to add out extras to the stage and lighting have added a few universes for a floor package and we then add an extra 3 or 4 for laser control.
    or if headlining our rig can often add another 25/30 on top of the amount already there for the 'house rig'

FYI the component cost of my wifi artnet to DMX effort is likely to be under a tenner. Call it £15 built, or thereabouts.
    Did you ever get anywhere with these? After my DMX went badly wrong last week, I'm looking into this again

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Did you ever get anywhere with these? After my DMX went badly wrong last week, I'm looking into this again
    Just butting in here.
    The component prices are very low and can be veroboard friendly.
    • ESP8266 (Wifi access point with build in uController) a few quid<£5
    • 485 Line Driver (a few quid)
    • XLR Connector (erm..)
    • Veroboard (a few quid)

I knocked up a single universe hack in about 30mins, but it's not really a product or anything other than a bundle of wires and circuit boards, but works very well.
    I also did the same using a Raspberry Pi which is overkill for a simple converter, but has other uses...

LightRider now charges for ArtNet (and also for the App), but with fully working modules availble for about £50, so for about £150 (LightRider App + ArtNet add-on), you can get a nice Lightrider system, using ArtNet over Wifi to DMX512.
    I sold my iPad but have a Amazon Fire HD 8" which only has a single USB port (so no charging and using the DMX Dongle). Artnet is def the way to go.
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

No, life has got in the way again. I need to crack on with these & my plan for 'poor man's freedom sticks' that use the same tech (plus LED tape of course).

OK - resurrecting a very old thread.

It's the time of year when my LightKey subscription is due for renewal (in 2 days to be exact....it popped up an annoying message this evening).

I've taken the plunge and gone for the LightRider DMX dongle thingy...the one where you pay £250 and that's that (my LightKey license although impressive costs me £90 a year). So, 3 years and it's paid for its keep.

It should be here in the next couple of days and actually has all of my current fixtures included in its database (including my beloved Freedom Sticks).I may have to tinker to get the LOVE letters going...hey ho!

Have I paid over the odds? Possibly. Will it work? Looking on t'internet I'm in for a real treat when it arrives. LightRider still apparently has it's faults, but seems to have matured since my original question on this one. My overcrowded flight-case should become just a little bit roomier by using an iPad instead of a fully blown MacBook for lighting control

It should be here in the next couple of days and actually has all of my current fixtures included in its database (including my beloved Freedom Sticks).I may have to tinker to get the LOVE letters going...hey ho!
    I've been considering paying out for the D:Fi adaptor thingy to control my freedom sticks but I'm still not sure if it's worth it or not? Part of me is tempted to put them into 50 channel mode, add another universe and play with all out pixel mapping the things. And another part of me is cringing at the thought of shoehorning another adaptor into my flight case and would much prefer to spend it's evenings doing something other than programming 200 dmx channels

What are you planning to do with them?
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography