Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rechargable uplighters

Default rechargable uplighters

Hi
    already do up lighting at an extra at venues and now considering rechargeable ones.
    with the wealth of experience on here can anyone recommend any ones that are cost effective and halfway decent regarding battery life, brightness etc
    thanks

Cost effective isn't really something you're going to get with these (I looked into replacing a battery and was quoted £90!!!) just to give you an idea of the cost of putting the thing together. Even more so if you're looking at wireless DMX-able ones which is where they really come into their own imo.

I agree with Jim, they are great but cost.

I only have 4 because to buy the amounts I need for full room uplighting just wouldn't be worth the cost. Yeah, they are handy, but a customer won't pay the extra just because your have wireless par cans and I think the uplighting market is totally saturated so now brings in little £££.

My other concern is not many will last a full day, so no good for me, and also if you use them 2/3 nights on the trot you have to make sure you have the breaks inbetween to recharge them all.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

ADJ do a budget range (ADJ QPlus Go) for about £130 a time. They're not that bright (6w per colour, RGBUV) They have a fairly limited battery life (10hrs on one colour, 4-5hrs on two colours, about 1-2hrs full on) and don't come with Wireless DMX (but can be easily adapted).

They're not bad for the money though and I know a few people round here who have bought 20 or more of the units! I stopped at 4 to complement the powered ones I have

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Alibaba. I have bought all of mine from there and of recent years the quality has been amazing. £100 a pop, 9 hours working time & very bright indeed. The cack that ADJ spin out at £2-300 a pop are nothing in comparison (unless we start talking feedom pars etc.). I bought battery uplights from them years back as no one was doing them in the UK at the time. One stand in Plaza had them, which were the same as my ones at over £600 each.

One option which is one I would use is to dry hire the battery ones. I sold my battery ones in favour for the much lighter plug in wireless ones a few years back as I only really needed them in a couple of venues. Save your money would be my advice as chances are they will only go out a few times a year, people might nick them & you have to charge them up all the time.

I dont particularité want to give up my middle man, but this is similar to the ones I have, make sure you go with a reputable company: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...649f2l9FAW&s=p

Order more than you need, as there is always one that a bit dodgy. I started dealing in these in 2010/11 and bought 24 of them. at least 1/3 were faulty! I wish I had continued as i could have made some serious money. The type of unit below is pretty much bomb proof. I only keep mine for a few years and replace, but they last a very long time.

Name:  Wireless-DMX-9pcs-x-18W-RGBWA-UV.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  28.7 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-03-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I have the prolights smartbat plus which are pretty much becoming the pro-industry standard, 6 in a case and they charge in the case.

However i also use the normal smart bat alot and these are great, charge with IEC cables take wireless and wired dmx (wireless via their own box) and have a infra red remote too and are very competitively priced.
    a lot of the ones on the market are a copy of these units.
    pic of standard smart batt below - we sell these and the plus.
    Name:  PROSMARTBAT-green.png
Views: 245
Size:  192.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    I have the prolights smartbat plus which are pretty much becoming the pro-industry standard, 6 in a case and they charge in the case.

However i also use the normal smart bat alot and these are great, charge with IEC cables take wireless and wired dmx (wireless via their own box) and have a infra red remote too and are very competitively priced.
    a lot of the ones on the market are a copy of these units.
    pic of standard smart batt below - we sell these and the plus.
    Name:  PROSMARTBAT-green.png
Views: 245
Size:  192.2 KB
    Not saying that the events I do have dodgy clients at all but if I had 12 of these around the room at 400.00 a pop I think I would spend all night watching that they don't get nicked lol
    I like Toby's ones but unsure on the ali baba postal service and wouldn't want all the fuss of sending back if they were dodgy.
    perhaps if I'm going to worry about getting them nicked then stick to the ones ive got but will keep on researching them anyway
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Alibaba. I have bought all of mine from there and of recent years the quality has been amazing. £100 a pop, 9 hours working time & very bright indeed. The cack that ADJ spin out at £2-300 a pop are nothing in comparison (unless we start talking feedom pars etc.). I bought battery uplights from them years back as no one was doing them in the UK at the time. One stand in Plaza had them, which were the same as my ones at over £600 each.

Order more than you need, as there is always one that a bit dodgy. I started dealing in these in 2010/11 and bought 24 of them. at least 1/3 were faulty! I wish I had continued as i could have made some serious money. The type of unit below is pretty much bomb proof. I only keep mine for a few years and replace, but they last a very long time.
    I looked at these units and they seemed ideal for me as I use the Chinese wireless DMX PCB's and these come with them pre-installed. However, I didn't want to take the risk on sending international money transfers so I had a look around and discovered that QTX sold these with their badge on and a few UK dealers had stock so I picked up a set of 4 to see what they were like. I obviously paid a small premium for UK service (£130 a unit).

So.... 3 turned up with the batteries in deep discharge (potentially dangerous with Li-ion batteries) and the batteries refused to charge to 100%. The battery life deteriorated rapidly in all four units with a few weeks use. One of them also had a dodgy battery gauge (LED's out) and another initially had no green in the RGBW and this then turned into no green and blue, and then no green, blue or white! All of them ended up going back for a refund, and then I picked up the ADJ units. Before they went back though, they were very bright and the one with the decent battery would go hours even with 2 colours on.

So.... yeah, good units, quality control needs some attention. Still work out a lot cheaper than the alternatives if you buy them direct and in quantity (the last quote I had would have worked out at about £950 for 10).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    However, I didn't want to take the risk on sending international money transfers
    Its all backed up on Ali express and the companies have proper accredited history (Alibaba is now a PLC), the companies on it have become very professional, but even in the earlier days I used IBAN without any issues.

I think as you found there are second hand deals out there, but not knowing the battery status is always the limiting factor. I have sold a few over the years with lower capacity batteries, but always put that in the listing.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Even if your portable wireless battery powered (and EXPENSIVE) lights don't leave the venue, 'playful' guests relocating them could turn into a bit of a nightmare. It'd be just as easy to pinch a mains powered uplighting fixture - has anybody heard of this happening?