Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Does this even exist?

Default Does this even exist?

I've been playing with lighting again despite promising my "accountant" I wasn't going to spend much this year (teehee)

The problem? My very trusty KAM party power bars (or one of them) have gone boom! (the DMX on one of the bars has ceased to exist...even in master/slave mode).

SO - ever inventive I threw together an ADJ Profile Panel and a VBARPaK because they were in my store.....well who wouldn't? (the ProfilePanels don't quite cut it on their own wash-wise in a large venue so needed the backup of the VBARS).

But....there's a slight problem - everything is facing dead ahead!

OK - the photo below is for demonstration purposes in my lounge - I make no apologies for the cable mess (I'll be slaving over the soldering iron at first light tomorrow) OR the cable ties holding the VBARS to the stand...it's what was available at the time and nobody (human or animal) was hurt during the taking of this photographic representation of what I'm hoping to achieve.

Name:  tPdulrL9QE+vCs%Oa7ZyrA.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  61.7 KB

And here ladies and gentlemen is the problem...the Profile Panels have no choice but to face dead ahead...the yokes won't allow for downward pointy action unless I change from using a top-hat-casing to a half coupler. I'm not too bothered by that.

But - how to I change the angle of dangle on the vBars below them?

At the moment, they're affixed with cable-ties (and no....I wouldn't take them out like that!). Is there a half-coupler or something similar with a flexible neck/ball joint which will allow the vBars to be positioned to point to the dance floor ( depending on where I'm working, the angle can be a lot different) or have I got to fabricate something myself?

I'm open to ideas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I've been playing with lighting again despite promising my "accountant" I wasn't going to spend much this year (teehee)

The problem? My very trusty KAM party power bars (or one of them) have gone boom! (the DMX on one of the bars has ceased to exist...even in master/slave mode).

SO - ever inventive I threw together an ADJ Profile Panel and a VBARPaK because they were in my store.....well who wouldn't? (the ProfilePanels don't quite cut it on their own wash-wise in a large venue so needed the backup of the VBARS).

But....there's a slight problem - everything is facing dead ahead!

OK - the photo below is for demonstration purposes in my lounge - I make no apologies for the cable mess (I'll be slaving over the soldering iron at first light tomorrow) OR the cable ties holding the VBARS to the stand...it's what was available at the time and nobody (human or animal) was hurt during the taking of this photographic representation of what I'm hoping to achieve.

Name:  tPdulrL9QE+vCs%Oa7ZyrA.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  61.7 KB

And here ladies and gentlemen is the problem...the Profile Panels have no choice but to face dead ahead...the yokes won't allow for downward pointy action unless I change from using a top-hat-casing to a half coupler. I'm not too bothered by that.

But - how to I change the angle of dangle on the vBars below them?

At the moment, they're affixed with cable-ties (and no....I wouldn't take them out like that!). Is there a half-coupler or something similar with a flexible neck/ball joint which will allow the vBars to be positioned to point to the dance floor ( depending on where I'm working, the angle can be a lot different) or have I got to fabricate something myself?

I'm open to ideas.....
    What about mounting the bottom light vertically along the pole (down to up) using half couplers and then using a top hat fitting with an adjustable tilt. I think the top light would look better veritcal though, but thats just a DJ's opinion. One thing I hear from photographers is when DJ's has lighting blaring out straight at head level of the B&G, especially when its red.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Ahead of you with the problem, not much further forward with the solution. Toby's on the money with half couplers much like this. Big problem there is they're often around head height, and dazzle guests.
    A better solution, but one that's disappearing fast, is the 4-in-1 Hadrons. Two of those give more wash light than a powerbar, believe it or not. At my gigs currently, a pair of those are set to colour fade early on, and more functions added as the evening progresses.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    A better solution, but one that's disappearing fast, is the 4-in-1 Hadrons. Two of those give more wash light than a powerbar, believe it or not. At my gigs currently, a pair of those are set to colour fade early on, and more functions added as the evening progresses.
    Funny enough, the lighting stand next to the photo and out of shot has exactly that solution....was just trying something different.

As for the Hadrons - not really my cup of tea.....waaaaay too many dots for my liking

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

As for the Hadrons - not really my cup of tea.....waaaaay too many dots for my liking
    Point of order Mr Chairman, there are no dots with LED wash. Nor strobes.

They're not the most elegant effects, but they are a whole lightshow in one box, and smaller, neater and cheaper than their rival, the Gigbar.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Would something like this do the job for the larger light:

Name:  G001TT.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  14.0 KB

Those global truss clamps are really great, would be ideal for the thin light along the bar vertically. Still be up high

http://www.electrovision.co.uk/homep...productid=5239
    Last edited by yourdj; 07-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Now THAT is exactly what I need for the top - awesome find (and a lot of my kit comes from Simeon at Simply Sound.....I didn't know these even existed!).