Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Themed disco

Default Themed disco

Been asked to do a Peaky Blinders theme night.

A Pub gig for mainly middle aged punters who like 80's/Rock and Ska music.

Having never watched the BBC Series, (not yet anyway) but having listened to the series Soundtrack, it's not the kind of music that is going to get people up dancing.

"Al Capone", by Prince Buster, would be a good music choice, also Gangsters by The Specials, obviously modern gangsta rap would be unsuitable, just wondered if anyone else has any other suggestions.

I know this is an old thread, but......

This is something I've got coming up soon. Wondering if anyone could advise on suitable music?

TIA.
    Edward.

This is a tough one.

For something set in the late 19th century/early 20th century, I can't really see there's any musical connection that's of any use.

Have you been booked specifically to play music to match the theme, or is theme being achieved through fancy dress, and you're there to provide the musical entertainment? There's a big difference between the two...

Original it was booked as a standard disco, then later on, got the message about the event being 'themed'

It's probably going to be the case of playing the usual mixed family orientated music, unless anyone can think of anything suitable to include.

One thing I'll say is don't go looking for bangers in the series' soundtrack albums. You won't find any!

I've got a PB themed party coming up in December & I've no idea how I'm going to play it yet. Probably fairly normally .. the series soundtrack music is pretty dire in my opinion. Nothing I'd see myself playing at a party, for sure. No, not even during background.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    One thing I'll say is don't go looking for bangers in the series' soundtrack albums. You won't find any!

I've got a PB themed party coming up in December & I've no idea how I'm going to play it yet. Probably fairly normally .. the series soundtrack music is pretty dire in my opinion. Nothing I'd see myself playing at a party, for sure. No, not even during background.
    That's exactly what I thought when I heard some. Nothing inspired me with any clues

I've never watched peaky blinders but the impression I've got of pb themed parties so far is they tend to be roaring 20s leaning so maybe raid PMJ etc for mood setting music.

Had the event this weekend, most people we dressed up for the theme... Onto the music.

Stuck with the generic stuff, was a little frustriating since the guests were split on what they wanted to listen too. Play something one group wanted, got grief from the other group. (Why cannot some please just listen to the music, and understand different people have different tastes. I'm not playing Drake, Stormzy etc all night!)

I did get one request for the Peaky Blinders theme tune 'red right hand', which i did not have, after having it requested 3 times by differnet guests I decided to purchase it.

Announced the request on the mic, put the said track on. Well, the expressions of confusion from 99% of the guests, (i.e. WTF is this expressions/gestures) Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Had the event this weekend, most people we dressed up for the theme... Onto the music.

Stuck with the generic stuff, was a little frustriating since the guests were split on what they wanted to listen too. Play something one group wanted, got grief from the other group. (Why cannot some please just listen to the music, and understand different people have different tastes. I'm not playing Drake, Stormzy etc all night!)

I did get one request for the Peaky Blinders theme tune 'red right hand', which i did not have, after having it requested 3 times by differnet guests I decided to purchase it.

Announced the request on the mic, put the said track on. Well, the expressions of confusion from 99% of the guests, (i.e. WTF is this expressions/gestures) Go figure
    Red Right Hand.. one to play during background or whenever I want to murder the mood. Duly noted, though I'd already figured on doing that.