Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused about stuff

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    My Maui 5s are about the least powered speakers I've seen (200w rms) yet they pack a punch that I feel would out perform cheaper, higher wattage speakers!
    Correctamundo. Baffles me too.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

A Watt, unit of power in the International System of Units (SI) equal to one joule of work performed per second, or to 1/746horsepower.

So, all I need now is 746 horses.

Out of interest, what difference does watts make anyway?

I've always taken the view that the size of the cone is going to make the biggest difference.

My Maui 5s are about the least powered speakers I've seen (200w rms) yet they pack a punch that I feel would out perform cheaper, higher wattage speakers!

Anyway, for me, the 'sound' of the speakers is a more important than the 'loudness' (who wants bad sounding, loud speakers?!). And sound quality can't be measured in watts or dB.
    Watts don't really make ANY difference to the loudness. If you had a one watt amplifier & rigged it up to a speaker with 120dB per w sensitivity you could have 120dB one metre away from the speaker with only ONE WATT driving it

No, I'm just baffled why specs have become such big lies.

It's perfectly feasible that a PA system pulling a mere 250W from the wall is amply loud enough for a given application (though I doubt a concert at a stadium ) - so why do manufacturers see the need to LIE so much? Who started this lying war? It's undoubtedly purchasers of said gear provoking it further IMHO.

I got to thinking - wouldn't it be massively cool if there was somebody out there measuring & recording speaker specs by exactly the same yardstick for all to see & compare? Damn right it would be!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

And sound quality can't be measured in watts or dB.
    Try telling that to the absolute 'tard in Currys a few years ago when I went there to buy a new surround sound system for my living room.

"1,000 Watts of sound - that means the quality is amazing!"

"You measure sound quality in Watts?"

"Well, obviously you won't use all 1,000 in your living room. You'll only use about half of that, and it's the extra headroom that gives you the best sound quality."

"So it's the Watts I'm not using that gives me the sound quality?"

"Exactly."

For the next ten minutes, I watched his eyes glaze over as I gave the boy an education.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Try telling that to the absolute 'tard in Currys a few years ago when I went there to buy a new surround sound system for my living room.

"Well, obviously you won't use all 1,000 in your living room. You'll only use about half of that, and it's the extra headroom that gives you the best sound quality."

"Exactly."

For the next ten minutes, I watched his eyes glaze over as I gave the boy an education.
    Haha.
    My favourite one used to be 'in digital quality". What, you mean it's aliased, pixellated crap?

I try to avoid those sheds of ignorami whenever possible. I can't stand idly by when customers are being lied to so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Haha.
    My favourite one used to be 'in digital quality". What, you mean it's aliased, pixellated crap?

I try to avoid those sheds of ignorami whenever possible. I can't stand idly by when customers are being lied to so badly.
    What????

You mean all of those gold plated HDMI leads I was sold by a chap in the pub are no better than standard ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post

"Exactly."

Reminds me of a conversation I had in John Lewis to the Sonos rep there just a few weeks ago. In trying to get my overall lag down in online gaming (on my PS4), I'm replacing things one by one to get rid of internet lag, display lag and controller lag. Which so far has meant replacing my Virgin Media supplied router with a proper one, and replacing my very old TV with a new one (reducing display lag from about 75ms to 12ms).

Anyway, I was looking at the Sonos Playbase or Playbar and wondering how much sound delay the whole Sonos thing introduces. For Sonos to do it's multiroom thing over it's own mesh network perfectly synced, it has to introduce a delay. When watching TV the workaround is to go into the TV's settings and add a display delay until the picture matches the sound coming from the Sonos kit - most newer TVs will let you do this. I knew this, and so did the Sonos rep, but my question was how much delay it introduced. I was also aware that I would probably have to do without the Sonos sound output when gaming and stick with the TV's, as realistically any amount of delay would be unacceptable.

Anyway, the rep's answer was "probably about half a second".

"Half a second?" I asked, kinda shocked.

"Yes, half a second. You're not going to notice that in gaming, which type of games do you play?"

"First Person Shooters."

"Yep, half a second will be fine. You won't notice that."

"So, why have I just spent £1200 over there to shave 60ms (6 / 100ths of a second) from my setup?"

Half a second! I could kill 5 people in that time

Anyway, I've since found out through my own research that a Playbar or Playbase introduces around 30ms of display, not half a second. But even that's no good

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic post - carry on!

Half a second?! HALF A SECOND?!

Anyway 30ms is actually pretty good for anything that streams, especially if they're compressing it.

Gotta love sales guys dontcha?

I have a pair of Yamaha wooden 12 inch Speakers DSR12 and a Pair of Plastic DXR15's
    I would be happy to put my 12's up against any other system, The sound quality is amazing, and they are plenty loud enough for most of the work I do. In the four years or so that I have had them I have NEVER been asked to turn them up! and regularly have comments on how good they sound.

Skytec do a 1000w Speaker would I buy one NO, But if my Yamahas ever give up the ghost I would be happy to spend the Money to buy some more!

We can get obsessed with power output etc but at the end of the day the ONLY way to rate a speaker is to Hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post

We can get obsessed with power output etc but at the end of the day the ONLY way to rate a speaker is to Hear it.
    And I've got some ugly plastic 15" Proels. They've got a woefully poor power rating. Previous owner said he'd never turned them up more than halfway.
    That's because they're loud.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk