Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cost of new website

Default cost of new website

Hi
    My web designer who built my first website three years ago has informed me that I need to upgrade it to a responsive design otherwise it wont show up on mobile phone searches because of the non responsive design.
    firstly is this something that lots of you have experienced and secondly he has quoted me £500.00 for a new website is this a good price? (about 10 pages with usual stuff including contact form, chat online and booking online.
    any help most appreciated
    Hadyn

That depends.
    Will it be a completely bespoke design from scratch or will they basically just be dropping some images & text onto a ready made template costing them £10 ?

It's not a bad price considering people charge a lot more for something that's basically just a business card webpage.

You can find cheaper out there, but you don't know their reputation or what they're like to work with. This lot, you do.

As for me, I'm verging on becoming an honorary Yo.. ahem maybe not. Anyway it's not often I'm willing to pay somebody to do what I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. Hence, my new site which took absolutely aeons to get in a reasonable state.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hadyn View Post
    My web designer who built my first website three years ago has informed me that I need to upgrade it to a responsive design otherwise it wont show up on mobile phone searches because of the non responsive design.
    Respectfully, your website should have been responsive three years ago when it was built. In 2018, the fact that you're only getting wind about this now would make me want to look elsewhere.

Website prices range from a £20-odd quid a month template from Webnation to potentially thousands, and everything in between. After all, how much is a disco?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but effectively, you've said, my car has failed its MOT, so I've been told I need to buy a new one.

I've been told it'll be £5,000 - is this a good price?

Well, if it's a brand new BMW, then it's an excellent price.

If it's a rust old second hand Ford Fiesta, then it's an awful price.

Your website is your virtual sales person. How many leads has it brought it? Do you feel it's performing for you?

As highlighted by your web designer, if the design isn't responsive, then yes, you do need a new site (and it'll be quicker and cheaper to build a new site rather than convert an old website - so I'm guessing this is what has been quoted to you.)

Now is the time to evaluate your options. As you're considering getting a new website, it's an ideal time to speak to a few different designers and look at your options. Discover what they will be doing and how they can help you convert more visitors in to enquiries.

And additionally, look at what marketing you're doing for the website. What are you actually doing to get visitors on to the website?

It is a minefield but worth doing your research.

My website ranks high on seo - really high - gets a decent amount of enquiries etc etc but after some research I am in the final stages of agreeing to a new site.

My current site cost £0, new site £4k+vat however have learned WHY the investment will be worth it. Especially when you consider how DJ's slate people when they get 'a family friend to do it for free' or cheap - we know the difference, same as a decent web designer will.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    my car has failed its MOT, so I've been told I need to buy a new one.
    Even worse, the guy who sold you the car has MOT'd it then charged for new brakes, exhaust and alternator! I would assume that they had a cheaper package at the time, but I would consider other options from now as they should have let you know about that. I changed to Wordpress about 3 years back as it was the impending thing, now its having SSL, so things have moved on a bit. Moving to Wordpress was the single best thing i ever did for my business as I can easily change the whole site with one move, rather than tables and Dreamweaver.

In terms of design, I have a site being built for my Hampshire DJ Alliance at the moment (we have the cash and its easier getting a 3rd party to do it). Its about 3-4 pages and is costing about £1,500. This is on a Wordpress platform so I can edit it as I want but nothing special. I think the £1000 mark is a starting point for a decent site, depends how well you want it too look or how well you want it too rank.
    Last edited by yourdj; 21-03-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Not true. It may be demoted slightly in search results carried out on mobile devices, but it will show up.

he has quoted me £500.00 for a new website is this a good price? (about 10 pages with usual stuff including contact form, chat online and booking online.
    How often do you envisage content changing? Do you need a CMS (e.g. Wordpress) or will a static(ish) site do? Do you want to use a template or bespoke design (for either CMS or static)? How long is a piece of string?

Thanks for all the answers
    point taken that it was a stupid question really so lesson learned!!!
    going ahead with it anyway as a change is as good as a rest.

I do my own websites although no longer for my disco business as I am retired and paid zero for my website software as I use Microsoft Visual Studio community edition which is free. I then only pay £3-99 a month for hosting with Winserve.

You can have the most amazing web site but it is useless without SEO and digital marketing.
    Ask them where your site will come in rankings.

I would be asking them about SEO and marketing too. If they cant help you are dealing with the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    You can have the most amazing web site but it is useless without SEO and digital marketing.
    Ask them where your site will come in rankings.

I would be asking them about SEO and marketing too. If they cant help you are dealing with the wrong people.
    That's slightly unfair. A web designer (what we're discussing here) will do just that - design the website. Any decent web designer will take the correct elements from the copy text (provided by the client) for the all important page titles, descriptions, headings etc. and structure it correctly for SEO purposes.

What they won't do is write the content for you, track (or even check) your SEO results, and manage your digital marketing strategy. You'll want a digital agency for that, who'll charge you £££ (per month) but for that they'll do very little but give you nicely formatted reports every month.

Step 1: get a moz.com paid account.
    Step 2: Call yourself an SEO expert.
    Step 3: Find gullible fools, and generate nice long, meaningless reports for them on a monthly basis while doing nothing of any real value

Maybe a bit harsh...but I've seen it myself countless times. Nobody knows your business better than you, if you can then write good copy yourself, or work with a freelance copywriter to produce good content in the first place.

When I build websites for clients I tell them from the start - they provide all content (text and photos). If they can't do that, I have professional photographers and copywriters I can put them in contact with (they deal with them directly), and maybe use stock images if they can't get anything else.