Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Done with 2018!

Default Done with 2018!

In a good way.

A talk at last weeks AMP DJ meet was on getting the right work life balance and it resonated with me. I'm about to celebrate my first anniversary but I look at my calendar from the past year and know I've not been around to spend any where near as much quality time as I should. We go a lot of really nice holidays but we hardly ever get a nice free weekend and even if we do, I'm usually just wanting to sit in the hot tub or my local instead of really go out and enjoy the fruits of our labour.

I was sitting at 38 weddings for 2018 and decided I'd take on 40 and close my calendar. I managed it this morning without even trying:

Took a phone call this morning:

"Hi is that Jim?"

yes, speaking, who is this?

"Hi it's djcnebc are you available on the 8th of December?"

Yes

"OK we'd like to book you, how much?"

£££, I can send you a breakdown of...

"Excellent, I take it BACS is fine?"

Yes, don't you want to know what the price includes?

"No we've had a good look around and know you're the guy for us. Is it possible to pay the whole amount just now actually?"

Ummm yeah...

"Excellent"

5 minutes later my spending money for my next holiday is in my account and I don't need to worry about dealing with any more enquiries this year

It feels very liberating.

Next year I'm going to up my prices a bit and max out 3 bookings per month except during the Summer holidays if there's mid week ones come in.

Out of interest Jim, is this a full time occupation for you, or do you DJ part time, alongside a normal 'day' job?

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Out of interest Jim, is this a full time occupation for you, or do you DJ part time, alongside a normal 'day' job?
    Jim isn't normal. He's a Teacher.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    It feels very liberating.
    Good for you.

I had that the other day, the guy emailed me saying he wants this that and the other. Total price £2,300. Same day - "Can i pay that now" "er yes of course" - Really nice to have bookings like that but also to be paid at this time of year. Would be nice to have 50% less dates and having just bookings like that as they are usually pretty good weddings (i.e. exclusive use and on Saturdays + guests that have jobs that they can take a few days off & afford to stay at the venue).

I am thinking of caping my events to 2 a week maximum and focusing on a another business when the kids are at school, as I have taken the Djing as far as I want (without loosing the attention to detail).
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I teach in a special needs high school. Adding this years DJ income I now gross more than the head teacher

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

I am thinking of caping my events to 2 a week maximum
    I set out to do that as a multi-op so have the chance too (well, 3 a week max or 2 if one or more was all day), however I am taking so much time off for holidays I have 5 day working weeks for the next 3 weeks to make up for it
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk