Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCF EVOX 5

Default RCF EVOX 5

I've just recently purchased a pair of these after reading the great reviews on its big brother the EVOX 8 and im wondering whether i can use these for mobile gigs of up to 100 people.

The specs are

Consists of 5 x 2" ultra compact full range speakers, 10" woofer, 2.0" voice coil
    800 Watt Peak (600 W+200 W Peak, 300 W+100 W RMS)
    Peak SPL: 125 dB
    Frequency range: 45 Hz bis 20 kHz
    DSP Processing
    XLR-TRS combined socket
    Soft limiter
    Weight: 19.2 kg
    Includes: 1x power cable, 1x Speaker Twist cable, 1x Distance pole

I've no experience at all of these, but I used to easily cope with up to 100 folk using Maui 5s. I see no reason why the Evox shouldn't cope.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I've not seen many of the Evox 5 out.

It seems that the Evox 5 isn't significantly smaller than the Evox 8, yet has considerably less power, so most people just opt for the 8.

For what it's worth, those I know who did have the 5, seem to have sold them quite quickly.

Forgive me if this comes across a bit rash, but it's odd to ask if a speaker system can handle a certain size of crowd after you've bought the system?!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Forgive me if this comes across a bit rash, but it's odd to ask if a speaker system can handle a certain size of crowd after you've bought the system?!
    While that's a valid point, I wonder if perhaps the lad bought them primarily for ceremony music and the like, and suddenly thought " hang on, these are very easy to use, and surprisingly capable, I wonder if they'd have enough grunt for a small disco " ?
    Wouldn't be the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    While that's a valid point, I wonder if perhaps the lad bought them primarily for ceremony music and the like, and suddenly thought " hang on, these are very easy to use, and surprisingly capable, I wonder if they'd have enough grunt for a small disco " ?
    Wouldn't be the first.
    I got them as the EVOX 8 was getting great reviews and from what i read they can do most mobile gigs up to 150 people, so i thought since i already have the SUB 702, decided to go for EVOX 5 and use a pair of them for gigs up to 100 people, and for 150 people, add the SUb 702 into the mix.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Frankly, I don't think it's harsh enough.

Quote Originally Posted by aldoboymusic View Post
    I've just recently purchased a pair of these after reading the great reviews on its big brother the EVOX 8 and im wondering whether i can use these for mobile gigs of up to 100 people.
    You've purchased a pair of speakers after reading the reviews of a different speaker before knowing whether it would be suitable for the application that you would need it for. You may as well have thrown a dart at a list of speakers and purchased what it had landed on. There's reviews of the EVOX 5 - why not read them?

Relatively, the EVOX 5 are decent speakers. Probably pushing it to be suitable for 100 folk, but the acoustics of the venue would play a role. Are we talking a village hall, or a high-ceiling stately home? These systems are compromise systems and while a lot of them are very good (I own a pair of FBT CS-1000s and am very happy with them), as soon as I see the number of guests go pass the 90 mark, I bring out the bigger sound system (assuming a sound limiter doesn't create an issue). I'd rather my systems be working comfortably over pushing them to their limits all the time.

Incidentally, I saw those very same reviews of the EVOX 8. Then I heard them, and ended up buying the FBTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Frankly, I don't think it's harsh enough.

There's reviews of the EVOX 5 - why not read them?
    I wasnt able to find too many reviews of the EVOX 5 so decided to take the gamble...

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I wasnt able to find too many reviews of the EVOX 5 so decided to take the gamble...
    Did you buy your last car or van without test driving it/at least seeing it in real life, or did you go for that gamble too?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Did you buy your last car or van without test driving it/at least seeing it in real life, or did you go for that gamble too?
    Well when i went for the EVOX 5 i asked mobile Dj briansredd's opinion and he recons it can do up to 100 people parties, so i kinda based it on his decsion along with the people at thomman.de as asked one of their customer service agents as well. So it was a slight gamble, but i did some research before, which i am also doing now as well to gather up more opinions.

Well when i went for the EVOX 5 i asked mobile Dj briansredd's opinion and he recons it can do up to 100 people parties, so i kinda based it on his decsion along with the people at thomman.de as asked one of their customer service agents as well. So it was a slight gamble, but i did some research before, which i am also doing now as well to gather up more opinions.
    Please keep us posted as to your experiences with them. It will be interesting to see what you find. Benny, if the CS 1000 isn't capable of topping the 100 mark, I'd say it's not fit for 50.