Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Moving Heads Always Pointing Up

Default Moving Heads Always Pointing Up

Hi guys, I have a pair of Equinox Fusion Razor Beams and I love them. I would love them even more if I could figure out how to get them pointing into the crowd a little more than they do at the moment. Basically they spend most of their time pointing up. I have them standing upright, as opposed to hanging upside down from the frame, if that helps. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello Ian. Re moving heads, sorry that's not my area of expertise. Never actually used one. Hopefully, one of the Technocrats will be along in a while. Are you using DMX? That would give you some control, but would be the two edged sword that you had to create shows for them.

Could I ask you please to pop across to the Newbies section and say hello, as we like to know who we're typing to, and it can help us to tailor advice somewhat. Thank you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hello Ian. Re moving heads, sorry that's not my area of expertise. Never actually used one. Hopefully, one of the Technocrats will be along in a while. Are you using DMX? That would give you some control, but would be the two edged sword that you had to create shows for them.

Could I ask you please to pop across to the Newbies section and say hello, as we like to know who we're typing to, and it can help us to tailor advice somewhat. Thank you.
    Certainly I'll do that now

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Until you're using DMX, you'll have to get used to the idea that your moving heads will point wherever they want, whenever they want.

BUT

Don't get hung up on the lights pointing at the audience. Moving heads are an almost majestic show in themselves and from your audience's side of the booth, them moving in sequence in all directions (assuming you're doing a master/slave type thing) may look pretty cool. Moving heads don't have to be looking at me as a dancer to look good - they have to move in a way that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Until you're using DMX, you'll have to get used to the idea that your moving heads will point wherever they want, whenever they want.

BUT

Don't get hung up on the lights pointing at the audience. Moving heads are an almost majestic show in themselves and from your audience's side of the booth, them moving in sequence in all directions (assuming you're doing a master/slave type thing) may look pretty cool. Moving heads don't have to be looking at me as a dancer to look good - they have to move in a way that makes sense.
    Never really thought of it like that Thanks Benny, that actually does make a lot of sense

I've had a quick look in the manual and can't see it, but quite a lot of heads will have the option hidden away in the menu to limit pan and/or tilt even when running on auto. I've got 40 unbranded wash units that are vaguely similar and obviously with that quantity I normally run them on DMX but have the odd time run 8 or so on master/slave auto, with the pans reversed on alternate units so the movements of each pair are mirrored, and limits set to 180 degrees of pan and 90 degrees of tilt. Might be worth you hunting through the menus on the actual units as sometimes the user manuals are not 100% correct! That still doesn't overcome the design limitation that they only do 180 degrees of tilt so if they're sat on their bases they'll never point below horizontal and if they're hung they'll never point above horizontal...