Thread: Phantom Power

Default Phantom Power

Probably a very basic question, but not one I know the answer to, and I'd rather not find out the hard way #What would happen if a dynamic microphone i.e. Shure SM58 was inadvertently fed 48v phantom power intended for a condenser microphone from a mixing desk? Would the dynamic microphone be damaged or could the desk be damaged? Any advice / info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Observe without judging what you see

Disco 4 Hire

I've never done it myself but the idea behind phantom powering is that no ill should come to a dynamic mic inadvertently given phantom power. This assumes that the mic (it's a Shure so should be fine) & cable are correctly made.

Reference: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...er-on-dynamics

The desk should be designed in such a way that even if the mic cable is shorted it should only interrupt the supply of phantom power - worst case to all mic channels & best case to only the channel with the shorted mic cable. It shouldn't have any long-lasting effects.

Thanks for that, very interesting and reassuring
    Observe without judging what you see

Disco 4 Hire

King Of Cheese Moderator DazzyD's Avatar

Read Section 7. It explains it all. Basically, a balanced XLR microphone will not be affected by applying phantom power. However, an unbalanced connection might cause damage. I say "might" because, with all the safety technology built in to mixers these days, it's unlikely unless the mic is really crap!!!

http://blog.shure.com/top-8-microphone-myths-exposed/
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!