Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Question for some of our Caledonian friends.

Default Question for some of our Caledonian friends.

It has been decreed that Jeanette and I shall have a trip up to The Falkirk Wheel for a day or two in June, with another day or two spent amusing ourselves on the way up and way down. Penrith will be visited in each direction, and we may just possibly have a look into the splendid Cumbria DJ Store.

Falkirk is apparently not far from Glasgow, and I sought information from one who resides there, without the desired result. What we seek is a restaurant serving Lobster, as Jeanette used to love this when she lived in America, so wished to repeat the experience.

It seems that we can widen the search basically to anywhere between Glasgow and Edinburgh, as I am reliably informed that Edinburgh is withing a sensible radius, and offers a greater chance of success.

So, Lads and Lasses, where would be a good place in that vague general area, to dine on Lobster? Thanks in advance, folks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Dakota Edinburgh (nearer South Queensferry, so ideal if coming from the Falkirk Wheel) used to do a good lobster. Last time I had it was a few years ago now, though...I was there on Sunday and didn't have the lobster, but I got the impression they've let their standards slip a little.

Galvin Brasserie is also good, my wife had the lobster there not long ago.

Ondine in Edinburgh is expensive but very good.

Still in Edinburgh, I've heard good things about The Kilted Lobster but never been myself.

If you can make it as far as North Berwick, The Lobster Shack is open seasonally and so should be open in June. Nothing fancy, but they do a good lobster! If it's a nice day they run out quick, though, so don't arrive anywhere near closing time, and be prepared to wait (up to an hour).

I haven't been out much in Glasgow. Steer clear of "The Chippy Doon The Lane", some good reviews but it was terrible when we went. I don't think they do lobster anyway.

Also in Glasgow, check Ubiquitous Chip - quite good, but their current sample menu doesn't include lobster so you'd have to check, and I think you'd have to book in advance as well so that may not be an option if you wanted guaranteed lobster!

Marc, you are the ultimate Oracle.
    Many thanks.

Default Update:

First up, many thanks to Marc J for his advice. We dined at The Kilted Lobster, and it was absolutely excellent. Emphasis on quality over quantity.

For anyone near Falkirk, I can wholeheartedly recommend The Shore, at Carronshore. We've just had a superb meal there, the food and the staff are first class.

As an aside, everyone we've met up here has been really lovely, wonderful folk.