Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Swing Music for 60th Birthday

Default Swing Music for 60th Birthday

Hi All,

I have a surprise 60th Birthday tomorrow for a friend (I don't normally do 60th Birthdays as its generally out of my music comfort zone) and this morning have been asked to do a Swing set but have no idea on popular swing music, can anyone suggest some helpful tracks or albums.

The other music has been left to me (IE play to the room) from the 70's to Modern (not a problem) with lots of Elvis (birthday girl love Elvis)

Any help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TrebleBassDJ View Post
    Hi All,

I have a surprise 60th Birthday tomorrow for a friend (I don't normally do 60th Birthdays as its generally out of my music comfort zone) and this morning have been asked to do a Swing set but have no idea on popular swing music, can anyone suggest some helpful tracks or albums.

The other music has been left to me (IE play to the room) from the 70's to Modern (not a problem) with lots of Elvis (birthday girl love Elvis)

Any help is much appreciated.
    Not really my area of expertise, but Michael Bublé, Robbie Williams- Swing when you're winning, and perhaps Jamie Cullum might be a starting point. Sadly, our Top Ten lists didn't throw up a wealth of tracks, but Darren's input here, post #6 is a good steer.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I am no expert but this looks like a one stop shop for classic swing from all eras here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Number-One-.../dp/B000293NDK

Glen miller, would be where i would start and go from there, but a lot of people that do swing dance to all sorts of music now, even stuff like Happy & Shake it off so I guess ask them for what they want as they may well go to classes with a lot of the guests and have set routines to specific tracks.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I am no expert but this looks like a one stop shop for classic swing from all eras here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Number-One-.../dp/B000293NDK
    Nice try, Toby, but the gig's tomorrow. Fastest delivery is the day after the gig, so not a runner in this case.

However: This one is available for download, and while more expensive, and with some very questionable tracks ( Val Doonican? ) looks worth investing less tham a tenner on.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Glenn miller, would be where i would start and go from there, but a lot of people that do swing dance to all sorts of music now, even stuff like Happy & Shake it off so I guess ask them for what they want as they may well go to classes with a lot of the guests and have set routines to specific tracks.
    Glenn Miller is the one that everyone seems to immediately think of, and to me, it's probably the last on my list. Can't help thinking of wartime connotations. Benny Goodman, Count Basie, even good old Joe Loss and Victor Silvester would be ahead of Glenn on my playlist, and even then, they wouldn't be high on it, unless requested.

I've got a 60th tonight, as it happens, and I don't foresee me breaking out much Big Band music.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks for the adive guys, I have now purchase a couple of albums and created a playlist including the songs suggested.

Time to copy them over to the backup rig now.

I will let you know how the Swing set goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Nice try, Toby, but the gig's tomorrow.
    It was more for reference really, as anything can be downloaded these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    it's probably the last on my list.
    Most probably as modern jive classes has been massive for decades now.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/