Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Extremes of Disco quality and market.

No filldlin with your balls of eating a cheeky sandwich. Not for me.
    Also anyone can walk up trip and fall on the laptop. Far too precarious.

I always wondered about guests and drinks with the xprs (or any generic booth) as the surface is at waist height and it faces down on to the lower teir (i.e. where your controller sits). My wonders were made real last week at one of my venues where the bride at the end of the night, tripped and ditched a whole glass of wine all over the DJ's controller and decks. He went mental and the bride was in tears. he had an all day wedding the next day. I think I would have stayed calm (as i have duplicate kit) and sent her an invoice in the morning. Give me a crappy equinox screen and a metres distance any day.
    Last edited by yourdj; 05-06-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I can only see one problem with those sort of booths.....you have to wear trousers!
    Or just a long apron.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    No filldlin with your balls of eating a cheeky sandwich. Not for me.
    Also anyone can walk up trip and fall on the laptop. Far too precarious.

I always wondered about guests and drinks with the xprs (or any generic booth) as the surface is at waist height and it faces down on to the lower teir (i.e. where your controller sits). My wonders were made real last week at one of my venues where the bride at the end of the night, tripped and ditched a whole glass of wine all over the DJ's controller and decks. He went mental and the bride was in tears. he had an all day wedding the next day. I think I would have stayed calm (as i have duplicate kit) and sent her an invoice in the morning. Give me a crappy equinox screen and a metres distance any day.
    I need to get some of those tramp spikes to stop people from leaning on my screen. Still I'm happier to see them. Fall over taking the screen with them than I would be my whole booth. +1 for crappy gorilla screen (that's right, not even equinox).

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I need to get some of those tramp spikes to stop people from leaning on my screen. Still I'm happier to see them. Fall over taking the screen with them than I would be my whole booth. +1 for crappy gorilla screen (that's right, not even equinox).
    I have the gorilla, its amazing for the price & weight. I love it when people lean on it and its not as sturdy as it looks. not ever had anyone fall into it. They would fall against my sub and flightcase, which wont go far unless they were very large.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I haven't taken my Equinox clone screen out for years - I got fed up with people either pulling it over or leaning on it and falling into my kit. I even made aluminium "tie rods" that bolted between the desk and the screens to try to keep them upright and stop them being toppled.

The Elite booth I use now is a LOT more stable - but I need to look at fitting some sort of perspex screen on the top of it to protect the kit (believe it or not, they've made one for the LiteConsole booths but last I heard had no intention of making one for the Elite).

The one that gets me is the Retro setup I have. It's bloody heavy.....and yet drunken people still manage to fall through it! (one young lady several weeks ago....twice...through the same screen!)

It'd certainly be interesting to trial a booth like the fancy legs on show thingy - if only to see if crowd control really does become the issue so many of us fear. The great advantage with the kind of booth Jason Jani uses is that it reduces the BARRIER between DJ & crowd, which could be taken as an opportunity to be a good thing.

One tip I took away from a good friend of mine a while ago is to keep an eye out for people approaching & meet them before they get near a place it's dangerous to hover a pint glass over. Funnily enough it's also a great way to appear more keen to talk to people which helps defuse (some) people's erm.. unfriendliness. Seeming more approachable is a great way to improve interaction. If guests need a Trojan horse to get to speak to you I think you might be doing it wrong

Obviously there are always going to be some times when you need the FortKnox[TM] - say when you're hemmed in a corner in a venue that's mildly (say two to three times) overpopulated. But if crowd management isn't going to be an issue I'll honestly welcome a nice open booth like one of those.

BTW I know where people are coming from with their concerns about their gear getting harmed. My first club residency - the DJ booth window had a metal grille fitted to it to stop flying bottles interrupting the music
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 05-06-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Know where you're coming from with the grille!

My first commercial job back in the disco trade after a 15 year sabbatical waaaaay back in 2012 was a WMC about 30 miles away. Literally got the call an hour before the start of the party to say their booked DJ had been "taken in for questioning by the police" (he'd slapped his wife about apparently!).

I was a bit green back then. It was a walk-in (apparently they had a selection of CDs, mixer, in house lights...I used those and only took my laptop and controller...just as well because the CDs were all over the place in the booth and there was nothing usable!)

My view?

I was "locked" into a DJ booth (yes....there was a Yale lock on outside of the booth!) behind 1 inch thick perspex!

As for the fancy legs on show booths....nah! You'd see my high heels, short skirt and stockings

The thing is Ashley only ever wears Converse on his feet. Shorts, jeans or suit trousers, with Converse!

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    This is where to get them: https://www.hoerboard.com/furniture/scomber-mix/

This is my firiend ashleys set up:
    Now perhaps it's my age, but I just don't get that one. Although it's very tidily cabled, it just looks like a random selection of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I can only see one problem with those sort of booths.....you have to wear trousers!
    Racist!!!! ( And quite possibly sexist, too ) Many members on here hail from North of the border, and would wear their National Dress, the kilt. We have Lady members too, who might wish to wear a frock, and I seem to remember there's pictorial evidence somewhere of a moustachioed DJ in a rather fetching pink frock.

Really Wayne, we try to be inclusive here.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Now perhaps it's my age, but I just don't get that one. Although it's very tidily cabled, it just looks like a random selection of kit.
    Second that. Seems more like a demo room.
    Nathan.