Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extremes of Disco quality and market.

Default Extremes of Disco quality and market.

This one has come out of the responses to my " dj's cancelling " thread. Comments on there have led me to question where I operate in the market. I've always considered myself firmly centre ground, but I'm now wondering if like that ground is being shot from under my feet?

We have many on here who seem to be operating in the top end of the market, with fees regularly over £500. I think there's little doubt that they're providing value for money, well done them. Even with a following wind, I can't achieve the levels of detail they offer in certain areas. At best, I'd claim to be well up in the middle section of the market.

However, I make no secret of the fact that I'm prepared to get down and dirty in the lower echelons of the market, to fill my diary. Even then, I feel to misquote Ms Safka ( Google it, if you don't know, young 'uns. Then listen to some of her stuff ), " they're only putting a nickel in, but getting a dollar song". Obviously, the great unwashed see more DJs in the bottom end of the market, and perhaps our low status in their eyes is because of what they see often.

So, the question. Yes, there is a question, the doddering old fool isn't simply rambling pointlessly. The lower end of the market is awash with DJs, and by definition, the top end is a far smaller market share. Is the middle ground disappearing? Are clients either paying top dollar for top end DJs, or going cheap and ( hopefully ) cheerful? Is my market of mid price work dwindling? Discuss.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I don't think so - the market bears what it bears and I'd imagine the majority of clients actually fall into the "middle" bracket where the idea of paying over £500 for a DJ is ridiculous to them but they don't want stuck with some coked out banger playing through his dad's Awai stereo.

I'm actually seeing, certainly on the bridal forums, a much higher percentage of guys coming in at the £300-400 quid range than previously and I think this is largely down to them realising that theyre worth more than the driftwood but they know they're not quite at the same level as the £500+ crew.

And that rings true for most services and products if you think about it - most people will choose from the middle ground: I recently bought a safety razor - I wasn't going to buy the dirt cheap Chinese gumf that will cut me to shreds but I also didn't see the value in spending big bucks on a boutique model so I went for a decent quality at a decent price.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 02-06-2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: fixed typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I'm actually seeing, certainly on the bridal forums, a much higher percentage of guys coming in at the £300-400 quid range than previously and I think this is largely down to them realising that theyre worth more than the driftwood but they know they're not quite at the same level as the £500+ crew.
    Don't know about bridal forums, every time I've looked they've been complaining of the affrontery of DJs to break the £200 barrier! My experience seems to be at odds with yours, Jim. We need more input, two folk disagreeing isn't statistically useful.

You could possibly look at it this way (and no, don't worry, I am definitely NOT getting into the whole "you wouldn't get that around here" type thing.....saying that though, I'd put money on it being mentioned at some point?).

The guys and girls that are 'top end' as you put it, and commanding the higher fees...... why is it that they are commanding those higher fees? Is it because they are turning up with the best equipment? Is it because they have years and years of experience and have made a name for themselves? Are they getting top notch money, just for providing the Disco entertainment?

Or, is it because they are providing multiple services for the booking and are out all day?

Apologies if I am not managing to get my point across clearly, it has been a common thing lately.

I've said it many times over the years on this forum, so one more time isn't going to hurt..... I have never been one to mention prices. I don't like the whole winkle waving thing etc.... But, when I first went out as a full-time self-employed DJ, I simply provided Disco entertainment...that's all. I'd been doing the job for a number of years before I went full-time, and I'd made a name for myself. I guess you could say I had a decent reputation as being a good DJ. I would never say anything like that myself, I'm no ego maniac.
    So, when I went out on the road after confirming my first booking, I didn't pick a figure out of the air....I'd done my research and pitched myself towards the higher of the middle ground (if that makes sense?). As the months went by, I got tons of work. I was out every weekend and that's exactly how I wanted it to be.

A friend of mine who ran his own business told me that I was underselling myself. I disagreed because I was happy, more than happy with what I was getting. He asked me what made me different from everybody else, and if there are a number of others out there charging the same, what makes it worth booking me?
    He advised me to up my price, not just by £25.00 or something, but by another £100.00 just like that, to test the water. I did so for the next enquiry and they didn't want to know, neither did the next, or the next one after that. To be honest, I knew that they weren't my customers anyway because they were looking for cheap options. Even if I had quoted the price I was going out for, they would have said it was too expensive.

However, the next customer DID book me at the higher price. I was taken aback to be honest. I thought to myself "I'm still doing what I was doing before, yet I am getting paid more money for doing it.....strange!?"
    When I received some feedback after the event, one of the things the customer said was "He was a bit more expensive than other DJ's, but he was quality and so it was worth the price".... That's when I thought to myself, I am sticking to my guns and that's what I did, I didn't look back.

To those that are bothered what tier of the DJ scale they are on (I'm not), I guess I went up a few notches and was probably looked at as one of the more pricier DJ's in the area. I wasn't offering any other services at the time, just me, my equipment and my experience.

When I started providing things like Uplighting, Photo Projection etc.... I generally offered the services if I knew it was going to be very easy to do and I enhanced the price I was getting. I guess (again), that I was then up in the higher regions when it came to price, but I was still only doing evening gigs, not all day.

Yes, if you are providing lots of different services and all day stuff etc, you may well be getting top notch money. Sometimes the customer likes that if they can get everything from the same person / supplier. If you are commanding very good money, just providing an evening disco because of your experience and reputation (ok...and where you are based....ouch, I said it!), then fair play to you.

I've confused myself with that lot, but I hope you get what I am saying.

You'll never get that round 'ere!!!

Actually - that's complete and utter bs - and I've proven it.

Unlike a LOT of DJs in this neck of the woods, my prices are on my website. I've got nothing to hide - and it seems to work.
    Until a couple of years ago, I thought nothing of going out for £250 for the evening, regardless of the party. I was fighting with a lot of the lower end operators who were rocking up with battered kit and a pair of QTX 15's, whilst I was going out with top end kit.

So (and our own Gavin persuaded me the first time), I upped my price by £100. Simples. Bookings still came in (I was only taking evening only gigs at the time).

Then it nudged up bit by bit to £400 for the evening....bookings dropped off a little bit and I thought I'd peaked. I started offering part day (wedding breakfast onwards) and ceremony services as well.

However....I did a part day wedding a couple of weeks ago for what I thought was a cracking £700. The people I did it for aren't the type of customer I want to attract (that one's in the members area), so completely and utterly shattered and pd off with how the day had gone, I increased my prices by £125 for evening only (taking me to £525), and by £100 for the part day and all day jobbies (and I think there's still room for more).

I don't do uplighting, venue dressing, chair covers, photo booths, pop-corn, ice-cream, candy floss, chocolate fountains and all that malarky.....I literally provide the disco side of things. Hell....I don't even do Karaoke (because I can't stand it).

I took 5 bookings last week (3 for evening only and 2 for part day), having been witnessing a bit of a dead spell on incoming enquiries.

Is it coincidence, or is it down to the increase in price and perceived value? You tell me.

As Jim says, most customers look to the best they can afford without being silly (the mid to high ground as opposed to the budget....although there will ALWAYS be customers looking for the cheapest possible price and there are plenty of people out there to service those).

The big money is in the all-day services. They're not always the most pleasant of gigs to do because they're a very, very long day. They're also something a LOT of the competition don't offer.

I'm now somewhere in the top-league as far as pricing goes in this area (I'm not the dearest yet.....it'll come though). I just do what I do well, pay attention to what the customer's after, make sure everything is done as good as it can be from presentation and selection of kit to my performance on the night, and do my job as I always have.

One thing I WILL say (because this aspect worried me when I increased my prices)....the customers at the top end of the pay scale are a LOT nicer to deal with at times. Yes, you get those who have paid a lot of money and expect a lot in return. BUT, there's also more respect at those functions as well.

To quote a cosmetics company - I charge what I charge "because I'm worth it!"

Wayne, I'm overjoyed for you, but you haven't answered the question.

Middle ground disappearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Sorry old chap - doing too many things at the same time

Middle ground disappearing? No I don't think so.

I think it's becoming more and more crowded and harder for customers to distinguish between those that operate in that arena (let's face it, we ALL look pretty much the same lately as far as kit goes.....even Sidney is rolling with a truss-booth these days).

Because of that, I think customers are looking to the higher end of the middle ground (well if they're charging more, they must be better and more experienced psychologically).

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Sorry old chap - doing too many things at the same time

Middle ground disappearing? No I don't think so.

I think it's becoming more and more crowded and harder for customers to distinguish between those that operate in that arena (let's face it, we ALL look pretty much the same lately as far as kit goes.....even Sidney is rolling with a truss-booth these days).

Because of that, I think customers are looking to the higher end of the middle ground (well if they're charging more, they must be better and more experienced psychologically).
    You know Wayne, you've almost convinced me to put my prices up, seriously.

I'll break that £150 ceiling if it's the last thing I do.

No, I think it's just shifting.

The cheap as chips guys are still cheap as chips, the higher end guys have always been the ones pushing the envelope on pricing and the middle guys are realising that whilst they might not be able to get higher end money yet, they can certainly demand more than a score or two more than tony 2 decks.

Certainly the higher end guys up here charge based on their 'brand' I suppose and service - none of them to my knowledge throw in freebies and with the exception of a few who try to do lots of all day shots, most are booking £500+ for evening disco only.

You know Wayne, you've almost convinced me to put my prices up, seriously.

I'll break that £150 ceiling if it's the last thing I do.
    More than a doubling of fees.....I'm impressed
    To be fair, I've been working on convincing you since 4am in the Tap and Spile on October 23rd last year!!!

Try what I'm going to be doing this year at GiG (and the same as Justin did last year)....have a look in on the education zone. It's surprised me what I've picked up from different "courses" over the past 1-2 years.