Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Extremes of Disco quality and market.

No matter what marque the gig is you'll meet a variety of different levels of child supervision at all kinds of parties. Surprisingly the well heeled aren't always quite as on the ball as you might think. "Tarquin! Stop throwing plates on the floor! Please?"

One of my residencies in Hampshire had a dedicated add on marquee at the end of the old barn where there were lots of toys and small inflatables for the kids.
    It was booked for quite a few weddings I did there and I thought it was a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    The thing is Ashley only ever wears Converse on his feet. Shorts, jeans or suit trousers, with Converse!
    Funnily enough look what arrived in the post today, I totally forgot I had bought/won them.

Name:  IMG_2387.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  46.7 KB

Also bought these to replace my other wedding shoes:

Name:  dfhjkfdhjk.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  50.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Maybe the kids are better behaved in the area he performs in.
    We tends to bounce off the same clients and sorts of venues and i would not hesitate to put that in 95% of my private bookings. Not 100% sure about all the in house bookings I get, but most of them. If I get one that I think will be a bit rowdy, thats when I put a chair between my screen and booth area (works a treat) and also some tables either side of me. Always in marquees for some reason? That 75cm-1m barrier goes a long way when people are paling all over your kit all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I was an active mobile DJ, but I never came across kids being shut away with a children's entertainer for the duration, I have done quite a few weddings though were children were specifically excluded on the invitations.
    I banned kids from my wedding in Poland and in the UK. I wanted an adult function without kids running about shouting. Having said that the one in Poland would not have been too bad as Polish kids (in Poland anyway) are so polite and well behaved. Now I have children my tolerance has gone the opposite way and idont get so stressed with them running around my feet as that sums up my everyday from 6am-7pm!! It used to really put me off keel, but I have learnt to talk to kids now and see everything from their level, i especially make a big fuss of any babies.

No not seen may child minders or child entertainers, but I think that is a good idea to keep them entertained, run round the grounds after to knacker them out - job done. Seen it a dozen times and its only bee a great success. The worst idea is those flipping sweet carts especially the cheap ones with crap sweets as it sends them loopy.

I say it depends on the children, i had about 22 kids at an all day the other day and you would not have known they were there. I was in the horse feed place yesterday and a kid was shouting (out of a flat bed truck - you can guess where I am going with that) DAD DAD DAD really loudly (despite me glaring at him). He was being ignored, but man if that was my child I would have dealt with that in 10 seconds flat!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    "Tarquin! Stop throwing plates on the floor! Please?"
    Being in private school my whole life I can certainly agree with that, a lot of parents are just a bit deluded and removed from real life I find. They are all very pleasant, but live in a different silk carpeted world to other folk. I don't knock that its exactly where I am trying to get back too LOL. It's as if the modern breed of parents are scared to properly discipline their children! We have a very switched on emotionally volatile son (I think he is on the spectrum) and he needs good consistent routine and rules. The naughty chair worked wonders on him and he took to it straight away - i actually think he secretly likes being put in line . He was a complete nightmare (it got very bad) until i took over as he was being pussy-footed about too much. 2 months and he is at total dream now, a perfect son.

Am I totally off topic now, or is this quite an open ended post??
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

One tip I took away from a good friend of mine a while ago is to keep an eye out for people approaching & meet them before they get near a place it's dangerous to hover a pint glass over. Funnily enough it's also a great way to appear more keen to talk to people which helps defuse (some) people's erm.. unfriendliness. Seeming more approachable is a great way to improve interaction. If guests need a Trojan horse to get to speak to you I think you might be doing it wrong
    That's just basic common sense and should be done all the time.

Add in a 'sorry man, it's really loud back there so I can't hear you over my earplugs' (which miraculously no longer becomes an issue despite now being closer to the speakers and you're golden.