I don't know why anyone would still use music on CD today. I find my laptop eminently reliable - certainly more reliable than CD ever was. In over 3 years I've lost maybe a minute of sound in total. That's literally hundreds of gigs & only once had an inexplicable pause in a first dance of about a second - barely enough time to even fade the backup in.

My last experience of djing with cd was with a couple of pioneer cdjs. One stopped working meaning I had to alternate between vinyl & cd, then as I started to run out of vinyl I hadn't yet played a Numark dual CD unit was brought in. Problem with that was it steamed up & couldn't be used anyway. Utterly embarrassing. And this was in a club where the rigours of player life are notably easier than the life of a player on the road.

The risks of being entirely digital are great but you can reduce them substantially with backups. The benefits of laptop & controller DJing vastly outweigh those risks. Virtual folders, crates, search & sorting etc. It's a dream come true for me. When I look through my old cd wallets I ponder how on Earth I ever used to find anything.