Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GIG Cancelled :(

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

As much good as Mark did for this game....my feelings at the moment are rapidly turning from sympathy to anger. The fact he took loads of deposits for next year's ProMobile KNOWING the company was in trouble is really eating at me at the moment (because that's £100 I'm never going to see again). Their bank actually filed a charge against them last December so it wasn't unexpected to have the rug pulled eventually.
    That's very interesting.

Whilst I did a few article for Eddie over the past year or so for ProMobile, I don't know Mark at all and to be honest, he pretty much brushed me off when I introduced myself at the Scottish DJ Show so I wasn't overly enamoured and he was there touting big time for people to sign up for the conferences which was late January...

In the grand scheme of things, £100 isn't a huge deal but it's money you've worked for and earned and I have friends who are out a lot more than that at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, £100 isn't a huge deal but it's money you've worked for and earned and I have friends who are out a lot more than that at present.
    It's not the amount Jim...it's the principle. £100 in the grand scheme of things is easily written off and not missed (although I know people to whom that's an all day wedding in these parts!)

I've always been very honest with customers , and if I were in that position wouldn't DREAM of taking money from them if I had any inkling that I wouldn't be able to deliver what I'd promised. My balls just aren't that big.

What's even more galling is that ALL of the websites (ProMobile magazine, ProMobile Conference, Gig and all of the other trade shows) are still very much open and accepting payments for events which at the moment....aren't going to be happening.

Surely - that's got to be fraud hasn't it?

Those of us who have booked and paid deposits still haven't had any official word as to who the administrator is (or indeed, that it's all gone belly up!). The only announcement we've seen is the one posted on Facebook (and not everybody is on there). However, the likes of FBT have had official letters of administration.

* Does this mean the record keeping was less than legit and they have no way to contact us?
    * Does this mean that there's actually no official record of money changing hands? (I certainly haven't had an invoice...I've just shown the transaction going through my business account for accounting purposes)

There's a lot of questions which need to be answered on this topic (sorry....I'm still very angry at the moment as I feel I've been conned). Whether or not we get those answers remains to be seen.

Don't get me wrong - I like Mark and everything he's tried to achieve. However, I'm fast changing my opinion based on recent events.

OK chaps (and chapess....I never forget the lovely Angela )

The details of the liquidation and the insolvency practitioner are here

I must admit - even the administrators seem a little dodgy at those prices to "attend" a virtual meeting of creditors, but hell....he's liable as the director of a Limited company for 50k so I'm "attending" to see what I can get back

It's not the amount Jim...it's the principle. £100 in the grand scheme of things is easily written off and not missed (although I know people to whom that's an all day wedding in these parts!)
    No I totally agree with you - I've chased a guy from my local up for a score I loaned for nearly a year because of the principal of it. We all work hard for our money and are entitled to not have it shafted from us regardless of how big or small the amount.

The big problem with ProMobile conference is that a LOT of people in this industry (around 99%) think they know everything and refuse to listen to others, let alone actually pay for the advice (heaven forfend!). If only they'd realise that this sort of thing can and DOES change how you think about things....the DJ world would have a hell of a lot less bitterness and willy waving and a lot more people actually earning a decent living from what they do....and doing it PROFESSIONALLY.
    My thought exactly, I just did not want to say that for fear of getting back on the Toby Bashing.

Some of the DJ's I met, or saw at BPM actually questioned the credibility of my profession, especially the two welsh guys at the after party who called me an 'NADJ wxxker' as I was wearing an NADJ jacket (not been to a meeting in years, but obviously I am friends with a lot of the branch managers). I am pretty thick skinned now, but I guess it was the way they were stood looking at me, I can see how the Nazi's came to power! Modern culture toys to paint a nice picture, but there will always be the anti esoteric undertones in all societies.

I know I was not brought up in the gutter, but manners are manners and a lot of (even full time) UK mobile DJ's are just such complete cretins. I suppose it makes nice, decent mannered & conscientious DJ's stand out so its not all bad?

As per Mark, thats your business and not for my speculation. I think he will do the best he can given the funds available, he is a good bloke, so hopefully you will get your £100 back. Thanks your lucky stars it was not the rip off £1,200 Marbecca.

Yes I said it (been quiet for many years), least this Mark has paid his tax bill and does not claim 'he makes no profit from it'. I did the maths right in front of him when he said that and then and worked with his delegate numbers he was making a minimum of £19,200 in the two weeks he was over here (tax free) (2 group of 9 delegates - probably more).

I learnt more from Mark Walshes workshop, which was 3 years after (I had done a lot of all day weddings after that).

I have not trusted one American since.
    Last edited by yourdj; 21-06-2018 at 01:17 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

As much good as Mark did for this game....my feelings at the moment are rapidly turning from sympathy to anger. The fact he took loads of deposits for next year's ProMobile KNOWING the company was in trouble is really eating at me at the moment (because that's £100 I'm never going to see again). Their bank actually filed a charge against them last December so it wasn't unexpected to have the rug pulled eventually.
    Looks like the biggest mistake was running all of these events under one Limited Company.

Some of the events, particularly the likes of BPM are quite high risk. Whereas I'm sure other aspects were profitable, just not in a lucrative sense.

Had they been separated out, the one 'problem' wouldn't have brought everything else down.

Long term, a large number of DJs losing £100 will further put people off investing in training.

I did think it was odd at the time that there was such a quick request for a deposit for next year's event.

***** UPDATE ******

Just noticed on the Marked Events website:

"Pro Mobile & Pro Mobile Conference

This brand is currently being acquired with no loss to service or product. Everything is set to run as per contracts in place.

Details of the new owner will be announced shortly."

So your £100 may come good after all

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the aspect Mark does a phoenix on, and just runs this aspect.
    Last edited by rth_discos; 21-06-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Just noticed on the Marked Events website:

"Pro Mobile & Pro Mobile Conference

This brand is currently being acquired with no loss to service or product. Everything is set to run as per contracts in place.

Details of the new owner will be announced shortly."

So your £100 may come good after all

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the aspect Mark does a phoenix on, and just runs this aspect.
    Me neither.

Actually - I'm glad to see something official has now appeared on their website rather than just a Facebook message on a group a lot of DJs actively avoid. It's something I questioned the liquidator about a couple of days ago because all of their websites were still open and taking money without any hint of a problem.

Aaaaaaand breathe.....ProMobile 2019 IS going ahead.

Seems my predictions (those of you who have been talking on FB/phone etc. will know what they were) were right.
    Wasn't expecting NADJ to get involved though! That can only be a good thing

Aaaaaaand breathe.....ProMobile 2019 IS going ahead.

Seems my predictions (those of you who have been talking on FB/phone etc. will know what they were) were right.
    Wasn't expecting NADJ to get involved though! That can only be a good thing

Wow! NADJ would be the logical choice to take it on. Not who I'd have expected to do it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Wow! NADJ would be the logical choice to take it on. Not who I'd have expected to do it though!

The official announcement says

Following the sad news that Marked Events Ltd – the company that has published Pro Mobile for the past four years – has been placed into liquidation, we are pleased to announce that Pro Mobile has been acquired by a newly-established trading arm of the National Association of DJs (NADJ). This will ensure the future of both the magazine and the Pro Mobile Conference.
    Existing subscriptions, Conference bookings and advertising agreements will continue to be honoured and the content of both the magazine and Conference will be unaffected by this change in ownership. Pro Mobile’s founder and long-time Editor, Eddie Short, will continue in his role moving forward and the magazine will retain its impartiality. The only significant difference that will result from this change of ownership is that any profit from the business will be channelled directly back to the NADJ to be spent on furthering the association’s goal of ‘supporting DJs with no limits’.

You can read more about the acquisition here:
    http://promobile.org.uk/…/…/Pro-Mobi...d-By-New-Owner