Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GIG Cancelled :(

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The official announcement says...
    I read that, and I don't see GIG mentioned there. Just the mag and the conference (which I thought was different to GIG?)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I read that, and I don't see GIG mentioned there. Just the mag and the conference (which I thought was different to GIG?)

Julian
    It's all under the same company umbrella.
    Nathan.

The administrator is splitting things up.

BPM/Gig, ProMobile Mag and ProMobile Conference were all run by Marked Events (as well as several other things like the craft drinks festival)
    ProMobile and the conference have been taken over by NADJ (which seems like a sensible move)

According to the Marked Events website, they're still looking for someone to take over Gig (they're already talking to someone about Worship). Whether it happens or not.....who knows? With a showcase like Gig, I'm surprised the manufacturers aren't falling over themselves to club together and put it on.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    With a showcase like Gig, I'm surprised the manufacturers aren't falling over themselves to club together and put it on.
    Looking back at the threads about BPM where the majority of us have pretty much slated the show over the last few years, along with remembering that most of the people who went were all miserable looking gits, I'm surprised that manufacturers bothered in the first place, if I'm honest.

Not saying that us slating is a 100% accurate representation of all DJs views, but I can't see it being too far off.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Julian
    Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    It's all under the same company umbrella.
    Yes and no, Eddie short largely runs the Conference and the magazine, so it looks like he has decided to continue with that. BPM is largely Marks domain, but lets face it that is the big liability, especially when you start reserving the space for the NEC and signing contracts etc. Its a shame as I thought splitting it all up was a great idea, especially the worship one for churches and halls etc.

I am glad the mag and the conference is still going as that would be a real shame otherwise.
    I hopefully still have a job too as I am the photographer.

Name:  32542333_370494886692543_6611019738829029376_n.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  56.2 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Looking back at the threads about BPM where the majority of us have pretty much slated the show over the last few years,
    And have generally said that the gripe we have is its relevance to Mobile DJs. Like Topsy, " it just growed ", and seemed more aimed at installs than Mobiles.

along with remembering that most of the people who went were all miserable looking gits, I'm surprised that manufacturers bothered in the first place, if I'm honest.
    Speaking purely for myself, people were trying to part me from my hard earned, which never inculcates an air of unrestrained glee on my visage.

Not saying that us slating is a 100% accurate representation of all DJs views, but I can't see it being too far off.
    Constructive criticism, Benny, constructive criticism. The sort we give you when you wish to do something inadvisable and silly.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And have generally said that the gripe we have is its relevance to Mobile DJs. Like Topsy, " it just growed ", and seemed more aimed at installs than Mobiles.
    Agreed. That and the fact that there was only one retailer last year - no chance to pick up any show-bargains at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Speaking purely for myself, people were trying to part me from my hard earned, which never inculcates an air of unrestrained glee on my visage.
    Oh yusss....I can still hear the cry of "Ow Much" above the more than ample PA system in Reflex when they charged you a tenner for two little bottles of beer

Meanwhile in other news relating to Gig....

Name:  MDJN.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  34.5 KB

Looking back at the threads about BPM where the majority of us have pretty much slated the show over the last few years, along with remembering that most of the people who went were all miserable looking gits, I'm surprised that manufacturers bothered in the first place, if I'm honest.

It is (or was) what you put into it. Me, I went for the banter, the seminars & looking at some tech. I didn't expect to bag a clutch of Robe Pointes for £19.99 so I was never disappointed on that front. As for the expense - genuine business expense - and the distance? Get some mates to come & turn it into a road trip. That's what one merry clan I was part of did & it was brilliant. The travel is a legit business expense too of course. After hours drinkies, not so much

The mobile DJs default position - generally - is one of moaning about everything. I'm not sure why because there's a lot to like about being paid to have fun (yeah it's hard work still nobody's denying that!).

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    It is (or was) what you put into it. Me, I went for the banter, the seminars & looking at some tech. I didn't expect to bag a clutch of Robe Pointes for £19.99 so I was never disappointed on that front. As for the expense - genuine business expense - and the distance? Get some mates to come & turn it into a road trip. That's what one merry clan I was part of did & it was brilliant. The travel is a legit business expense too of course. After hours drinkies, not so much

And there we have it. In a nutshell. It was usually the only chance to see people from outside your own little world, chat about kit, have a small libation and just possibly buy kit. ( Although I usually bought more in hotel car parks than the NEC ) !!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  31.0 KB