Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Preaching to the masses

  1. #1
    Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,649

    Default Preaching to the masses

    My SEO guy has asked me to do one of those 'preachy' blog posts about what you should do when booking your Wedding DJ.

    I really hate those posts, but he's the expert so I'm not going to spend all morning working out how to put my own spin on it.

  2. #2
    MDD Supporter Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Who doesn't love a good FUD blog post? (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt)

    I'm guessing you asked why he thinks it's necessary - if it's 'because DJs A, B, C, D thru Z do it' is that really a good reason? The best other reason I can think of is it's another way to make 'reasons to book me' text.

  3. #3
    Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    Something about "link building and anything that is helpful or informative that someone like a customer would find useful" was the reason given.

    (*I made a typo in my opening post - I meant I am now going to spend all morning working on it)

    Meh. I guess it's a challenge for me to come up with a way to add a Benny spin on this kind of thing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Age
    36
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Something about "link building and anything that is helpful or informative that someone like a customer would find useful" was the reason given.

    (*I made a typo in my opening post - I meant I am now going to spend all morning working on it)

    Meh. I guess it's a challenge for me to come up with a way to add a Benny spin on this kind of thing.
    SEO is not about one post.

    It's about regular content, and a distribution method to achieve links back to the website.

    For real SEO, you'd need to create a content schedule - at a minimum one decent length (1,000 word) post a month.

    Plus guest blog posts on other websites - all with unique content.

  5. #5
    Disco Dude! DeckstarDeluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Age
    36
    Posts
    8,135

    Default

    I've tried to do this before and will admit I hated it. I highly doubt many DJs out there have done this so once it's out there and being picked up it could be quite an effective boost.

    Guess there's nothing to lose!
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

    DDWES Event Hire

    www.ddwes.co.uk


  6. #6
    MDD Supporter Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I've tried to do this before and will admit I hated it. I highly doubt many DJs out there have done this so once it's out there and being picked up it could be quite an effective boost.

    Guess there's nothing to lose!
    I see it a lot. Usually it's something along the lines of

    Make sure they're willing to meet you
    Make sure they're insured
    Make sure they have a registered business
    Check their reviews
    Check for evidence
    Make sure they PAT their equipment
    Make sure they turn up wearing a sparkling tux
    Don't book residents they're all cowboys!
    Etc

    Most I've seen make for dismal reading & seems like negative marketing aka spreading fear, uncertainty & doubt.

    What I think they should be doing is letting the customer know the kind of ride they're in for & telling the customer how to get the best out of their booking. To get the best results there's often more involved than merely making the booking & them turning up on the day. But customers may not realise that...

  7. #7
    Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    . What I think they should be doing is letting the customer know the kind of ride they're in for & telling the customer how to get the best out of their booking. To get the best results there's often more involved than merely making the booking & them turning up on the day. But customers may not realise that...
    Not too dissimilar to the path I've taken.

    bennysmyth.co.uk/blog/post/booking-your-wedding-dj-mobile-disco/

    Not my usual sort of thing, but I hope it's informative but different to all the other schmucks.

  8. #8
    MDD Supporter Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Not too dissimilar to the path I've taken.

    bennysmyth.co.uk/blog/post/booking-your-wedding-dj-mobile-disco/

    Not my usual sort of thing, but I hope it's informative but different to all the other schmucks.
    That's very you though. I like that a lot.

    Btw so much for banning the word 'disco'. Did you act on advice or... What changed your mind?

    I'm asking cos I'd LOVE to banish it from my own site. And from customers vocabulary!

  9. #9
    Senior Member yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,112

    Default

    I think it needs to be relevant and something you want to post about. My main bugbear with website people is that they tell you that you have to do this and that (especially with social media), when often they are just working on outdated Google Algorithm crap. My photography site breaks all the rules, but I don't care as people will find it if they want to. Real nice quality relevant content written passionately is what I like?

    My sound level meter page is getting about 10-20 hits a day from all around the world, its amazing really considering the spelling and grammar. I am considering asking Sentry to pay me for the free advertising.

    You guys can add to that - lurkers that dont have the balls to ever post, you know you want to you pussies!

    http://yourdj.co.uk/sound-meters-noise-limiters/
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-06-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ | http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/ | http://bogfrog.co.uk | http://newforestwedding.co.uk

  10. #10
    MDD Supporter Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    That's very you though. I like that a lot.

    Btw so much for banning the word 'disco'. Did you act on advice or... What changed your mind?

    I'm asking cos I'd LOVE to banish it from my own site. And from customers vocabulary!
    I still VERY MUCH use the word disco.
    It's what customer's are still using (I turned up on Saturday to "Oh - you must be the disco man"

    As much as we hate it....it's what they call us and if it means an extra point on SEO - I'm using it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •