Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preaching to the masses

This is probably what you might be referring too and yes a proportion of fear mongering works, but at the end of the day there are some serious muppets out there who will just book any old DJ based on the cheapest quote and not ask any questions or get in touch until a week before the wedding date. If I booked a builder and had a well written simple checklist bible to work from then getting the right one would be much easier. I have had client relay my list back to me at meetings, not knowing that I wrote it LOL. Its nice to steer people in the right direction as more often than not this is the first event they have ever managed. Plus as you say its a plus point when Google goes through the site as its relevant and rich in keywords or whatever??

http://yourdj.co.uk/mobile-dj-advice/
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Not too dissimilar to the path I've taken.

bennysmyth.co.uk/blog/post/booking-your-wedding-dj-mobile-disco/

Not my usual sort of thing, but I hope it's informative but different to all the other schmucks.
    Very good. It always amazes me how similar my clients are to myself when all they've done is seen my website!

I remember meeting a potential client last year and they were nice but their vocabulary etc was very different to mine and when I was asking about what they wanted all they were interested in chatting about nonsense and were seeing if we clicked which I couldn't get my head around. You defiantly feel much less stress knowing you've booked somebody who you can relate to.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I still VERY MUCH use the word disco.
    It's what customer's are still using (I turned up on Saturday to "Oh - you must be the disco man"

As much as we hate it....it's what they call us and if it means an extra point on SEO - I'm using it
    I really don't understand the desire to drop words and phrases that are exactly how our potential clients identify and relate to us. Why would anyone in business alienate themselves like this?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Its nice to steer people in the right direction ..
    Which is exactly what "Sales" is all about. It amazes me how poor DJs are at selling themselves, especially at Wedding Fayres and the likes. If you're not comfortable employing sales techniques, then maybe hire someone who is? Sales are the very cornerstone of the business world. I'm not suggesting using blagging methods just simple sales techniques that make the whole process so much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    ...all they were interested in chatting about nonsense and were seeing if we clicked which I couldn't get my head around. You defiantly feel much less stress knowing you've booked somebody who you can relate to.
    Sales again! Building rapport - a connection between you and the client that goes beyond what you do and what you are selling - is vital as people buy people. It sounds like a really corny saying but, in the business world, it's very true. How many times on Dragon's Den do you hear a Dragon say "I'm not 100% on your idea but I really do like you so I'm going to make you an offer..."?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I really don't understand the desire to drop words and phrases that are exactly how our potential clients identify and relate to us. Why would anyone in business alienate themselves like this?
    Simply because that a lot of the 20s & 30s age-range clients see the words 'Mobile Disco' and are immediately transported back to when they were 6 years old at their Aunty Sue's 40th birthday party held at Generic Social Club, and they can see the adults going through the motions of the YMCA but not really enjoying it. They also regularly cite Abba & Dexys Midnight Runners being played behind a wall of crap lighting, muffled sound, dangly leads and unprofessionalism that they really want to avoid for their wedding day.

Mobile Disco is exactly what we are and exactly what we do, but to a lot of my potential clients, it's a tainted term.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Btw so much for banning the word 'disco'. Did you act on advice or... What changed your mind?
    I did it by myself. It's what people type to start their searches on Google because they don't know what else they could type, and to not have it on a website is, as Darren rightfully says, an excellent way to alienate yourself from the pack. I've now come to terms with embracing it, but also pointing out that yes, I am a Mobile Disco but I am in no way what you are expecting. The pictures, video and copy that I have on my website, along with my social media stuff (which I have noticed quite a few folk copying now) show that I am a clear step of what people think when they imagine a typical Mobile Disco. I hope that having the words 'Mobile Disco' on my website doesn't bring me down - more that everything else that I do, when it relates to my website, social media and business, rises the value of those words.

Simply because that a lot of the 20s & 30s age-range clients see the words 'Mobile Disco' and are immediately transported back to when they were 6 years old at their Aunty Sue's 40th birthday party held at Generic Social Club

I don't have mobile disco as a prominent search term (mainly mobile wedding DJ or just DJ). I feel the same and think its a bit outdated (after all it means discotech, who uses that in the UK these days?). Like 'roadshow' has, I think its slowly going out of date.

The people that refer to me as 'the disco man' (makes me cringe every time) at weddings are not usually my ideal clients. It's the ones that say 'hey it's the DJ' that usually are more my cup of tea.
    Last edited by yourdj; 19-06-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I think the words 'disco' and 'roadshow' are dinosoars personally. I'm 46 & as Benny says they resonate with naff music, naff sound & naff lighting. Oh & scream if you wanna go faster on the mic. I have a real problem with the word DISCO. It just rubs me the wrong way completely. I hate it.

I have more traffic coming to my site because I started using the word 'disco' again but that doesn't mean I like it or that customers who book me use it. Let it boogie on down to the scrapheap I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I think the words 'disco' and 'roadshow' are dinosoars personally. I'm 46 & as Benny says they resonate with naff music, naff sound & naff lighting. Oh & scream if you wanna go faster on the mic. I have a real problem with the word DISCO. It just rubs me the wrong way completely. I hate it.

I have more traffic coming to my site because I started using the word 'disco' again but that doesn't mean I like it or that customers who book me use it. Let it boogie on down to the scrapheap I say.
    Nah - let's rock the rafters with the platters that matter on the wheels of steel

I have no real objection to the word....it might just be how customers speak over in this neck of the woods.
    But to be honest, my target market is swinging more to the older generation as opposed to the hip and trendy young millennials so it's working for me

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Nah - let's rock the rafters with the platters that matter on the wheels of steel

I have no real objection to the word....it might just be how customers speak over in this neck of the woods.
    But to be honest, my target market is swinging more to the older generation as opposed to the hip and trendy young millennials so it's working for me
    I've tried to rationalise why I don't like it & never have liked it but I really don't know what it is about it I despise. It's a gut reaction & guaranteed to wind me up when people call me 'the disco'.

Now disco as a music genre.. That's a different story.

Simply because that a lot of the 20s & 30s age-range clients see the words 'Mobile Disco' and are immediately transported back to when they were 6 years old at their Aunty Sue's 40th birthday party held at Generic Social Club, and they can see the adults going through the motions of the YMCA but not really enjoying it. They also regularly cite Abba & Dexys Midnight Runners being played behind a wall of crap lighting, muffled sound, dangly leads and unprofessionalism that they really want to avoid for their wedding day.

Mobile Disco is exactly what we are and exactly what we do, but to a lot of my potential clients, it's a tainted term.
    I met with a client on Saturday ahead of their Wedding in August.

At the end the Groom said "When you said about meeting before hand I thought that was quite strange for a disco, but you've come across very professional".

And this is for a fairly decent priced gig in a beautiful venue which isn't cheap.
    Nathan.

I know exactly where you are coming from. That happened to me on many occasions. One of the comments I remember clearly, came from a lady who was having a 40th birthday party. She told me during our meeting that one of her friends had asked her if she fancied going to the cinema on the same night we had arranged to meet. She told her friend that she couldn't go because she had the DJ coming over. Her friend was confused and apparently asked the question "What does the DJ want to visit you for? Mine didn't when I had my 40th"...

During our meeting, the lady stopped me mid-way through my usual rambling and said "You know what, it is such a good idea that you do this. You've put me totally at ease and I know I'm in good hands".....

Anyway, to cut a long story short, she (we all), had a brilliant time. The friend that had made the comment apparently said to the lady that she wished she'd known I existed before she had her party a few months earlier.

Ok, a bit long winded as usual from me, but....I've always said, meetings beforehand etc are important (to me anyway) and worth doing. I hate the cliches, but "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" springs to mind straight away.

As for the word 'Disco', even though I think it is totally outdated, I also think it is necessary to use it as a tag, along with DJ. In my experience, the older enquirers will refer to you as "the disco" whilst others refer to you as "the DJ". It doesn't bother me which they prefer to use. To be blunt, I couldn't care less, it's just a tag at the end of the day and if it brings in the work, it's done its job.