Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Preaching to the masses

  1. #21
    Senior Member ukpartydj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Which is exactly what "Sales" is all about. It amazes me how poor DJs are at selling themselves, especially at Wedding Fayres and the likes. If you're not comfortable employing sales techniques, then maybe hire someone who is? Sales are the very cornerstone of the business world. I'm not suggesting using blagging methods just simple sales techniques that make the whole process so much easier!

    Sales again! Building rapport - a connection between you and the client that goes beyond what you do and what you are selling - is vital as people buy people. It sounds like a really corny saying but, in the business world, it's very true. How many times on Dragon's Den do you hear a Dragon say "I'm not 100% on your idea but I really do like you so I'm going to make you an offer..."?
    I completely agree that building a connection is important, however a wedding is a very personal event, some clients are simply not on the same wavelength. The clients I'm talking about were very loud, forgien and I found it difficult to comprehend what they were really asking me, mostly because it was very off topic and secondly because they used words I hadn't a clue what they meant.

    The people that are good at the traditional sales techniques are also the ones that earn the least, I'm sure some earn a lot more than me though so not a fair comment really. I personally hate standard sales techniques, I don't trust people that encourage sales it triggers the thought that this isn't worth buying if they need to try and convince me or influence my thought process using sales techniques or time pressures etc. I want to buy something because I've done my research and I've made the decision without somebody telling me that I should make the decision.

    I focus on marketing and a high-quality and I'm doing pretty well for it

    Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    White LED Dance Floor - Premium Dorset Based Starlit Dance Floor
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

  2. #22
    MDD Supporter Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    This is probably what you might be referring too and yes a proportion of fear mongering works, but at the end of the day there are some serious muppets out there who will just book any old DJ based on the cheapest quote and not ask any questions or get in touch until a week before the wedding date. If I booked a builder and had a well written simple checklist bible to work from then getting the right one would be much easier. I have had client relay my list back to me at meetings, not knowing that I wrote it LOL. Its nice to steer people in the right direction as more often than not this is the first event they have ever managed. Plus as you say its a plus point when Google goes through the site as its relevant and rich in keywords or whatever??

    http://yourdj.co.uk/mobile-dj-advice/
    I see no FUD in that page Toby. Plenty others use phrases like "risk your whole big day if you book anyone else". I find that kind of going utterly desperate & way too 'sales-y'

  3. #23
    MDD Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I see no FUD in that page Toby. Plenty others use phrases like "risk your whole big day if you book anyone else". I find that kind of going utterly desperate & way too 'sales-y'
    I don't see that sort of negative marketing tactic as sales-y, in fact the total opposite, it would send me scurrying for the back button.
    Observe without judging what you see

    Disco 4 Hire

  4. #24
    Senior Member yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I see no FUD in that page Toby. Plenty others use phrases like "risk your whole big day if you book anyone else". I find that kind of going utterly desperate & way too 'sales-y'
    Thats where I send enquiries who have £250 budgeted for the DJ & £450 on the LOVE letters.

    Perhaps its needs to be toned down a bit, but the 12 questions I think are very useful if you have no idea what to ask. I have even said, go and get quotes from other DJ's and compare and made it clear that they are questions WE would be asking when employing another DJ. Maybe taking that video out would be a good idea. I do find that funny though. My other advice pages are not that bad: http://yourdj.co.uk/wedding-dj-entertainment-advice/

    Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I don't see that sort of negative marketing tactic as sales-y, in fact the total opposite, it would send me scurrying for the back button.
    Have you looked at that page or is that general statement? I agree btw
    Last edited by yourdj; 19-06-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ | http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/ | http://bogfrog.co.uk | http://newforestwedding.co.uk

  5. #25
    MDD Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Have you looked at that page or is that general statement? I agree btw
    I thought your page looked informative and didn't come across as negative marketing, I was commenting on this line from Nakatomi post

    Plenty others use phrases like "risk your whole big day if you book anyone else". I find that kind of going utterly desperate & way too 'sales-y'

    Observe without judging what you see

    Disco 4 Hire

  6. #26
    MDD Supporter Nakatomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    2,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I don't see that sort of negative marketing tactic as sales-y, in fact the total opposite, it would send me scurrying for the back button.
    By 'sales-y' I meant pushy. Used car salesman like. High pressure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •