Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Customer wants to come to one of my gigs!!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

The reason I don't like people coming to see me is because each gig is different.
    Well of course. I've had weddings where I've played truckloads of cheese, and I've had others where doing that would have got me hung from the trussing.

Teen parties with all cheese, and teen parties with no cheese.

Birthday parties and anniversaries with mainly Rock/Metal, Country, 60s, 80s and musicals. One client's meat is another one's poisson.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Is this a first? A thread where we all agree??

I have now done 6 gigs at my new venue. 2 weddings, 2 school proms, 1 charity ball and 1 after sales conference party (which coincided with an England football match)

Everyone was different but I got high praise from each one in their own way and high praise from the management and staff at the venue for the way I can adapt to each situation. I might have struggled with five hours of Peruvian Nose Flute Rave Music though.

It's not happened to me yet, but on the other hand I've got a handful of upcoming customers who were at their friends' 'do's' where I DJed & they're erm... my biggest facebook fans, loving all of my posts & apparently very excited I'm their wedding DJ. No pressure then!

There are no guarantees that you'll be able to rock different crowds to the same level every time - there are so many variables we can't control. So a prospective customer might very well come to see you as you take the roof off a party - and book you on the strength of that - but their guests might not be dancers, or any number of factors nobody can control could send the night on a very different road.

I guess if I'm ever asked it'll come down to something like "well - would you want somebody you don't know gatecrashing YOUR party?". I wouldn't mind in principle, but what's it really going to prove to the prospective customer? Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    It's not happened to me yet, but on the other hand I've got a handful of upcoming customers who were at their friends' 'do's' where I DJed & they're erm... my biggest facebook fans, loving all of my posts & apparently very excited I'm their wedding DJ. No pressure then!

There are no guarantees that you'll be able to rock different crowds to the same level every time - there are so many variables we can't control. So a prospective customer might very well come to see you as you take the roof off a party - and book you on the strength of that - but their guests might not be dancers, or any number of factors nobody can control could send the night on a very different road.

I guess if I'm ever asked it'll come down to something like "well - would you want somebody you don't know gatecrashing YOUR party?". I wouldn't mind in principle, but what's it really going to prove to the prospective customer? Nothing!
    Yes very true and I get a lot of custom that way as people have said every gig is different and doesn't give a true picture of what their wedding would be like!!
    Yes people have agreed on this post ( I feel the love in the room man ) lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ah, so you do the same thing every gig then?

It's a wedding, so Macarena and Cha Cha Slide.
    It's an 18th, so all chart bilge.
    It's a 50th, 60th, 70th Birthday, so all 80s, 70s, 60s.

Somehow I don't think you work that way, so I'd have to say that your argument falls at the first hurdle.
    As I said in my comment - every event is different but saying that to a potential client, to me, is you essentially making an excuse that you might not be able to get a room rocking.

Saying, in a diplomatic way, that's it's not appropriate for strangers to turn up to a wedding to check you out is much more positive.

Apart from that, I've got 100+ gig and venue videos on my page that I can go: this was in your venue, this was a rock wedding, this was an Indian wedding, these guys wanted a nice relaxed "catch up" etc... so there's really never a point where I can't show them a decent approximation of what they envisage their night to be,

Maybe that's why I haven't had anyone ask to see me in ages...

Along with the ‘sorry no, I can’t invite you to someone else’s wedding/party’ you should also ask them why they want to see you live, is there an underlying doubt or concern you can put their mind at ease about another way.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Along with the ‘sorry no, I can’t invite you to someone else’s wedding/party’ you should also ask them why they want to see you live, is there an underlying doubt or concern you can put their mind at ease about another way.
    Underlying doubt? Hell yeah, the nagging fear that we play Oops and Birdie song at every gig.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Underlying doubt? Hell yeah, the nagging fear that we play Oops and Birdie song at every gig.
    You mean you don’t?

My name is Justin & it's been six weeks since I played The Cha Cha Slide m'lud.

I'm frankly astonished how often a customer will mention that they don't want me to play the birdie song. I think I probably still own it, but I honestly don't ever remember playing it in my entire career, or being asked to play it!

It's actually scary to me the kind of assumptions some customers make. That I work off a master playlist (as if it's the mobile DJ LAW or something), that I won't take requests, that I won't mix, that I won't structure my sets.. Are other DJs really that bad?

There are a lot of great mobile DJs in the world but an awful lot more mediocre ones who don't give a stuff about anything but where their next beer is coming from (usually the pack they brought in with them). We have them to thank for our customers being so wary. But then, that's not entirely a bad thing. They make the rest of us look SO much better

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

There are a lot of great mobile DJs in the world but an awful lot more mediocre ones who don't give a stuff about anything but where their next beer is coming from (usually the pack they brought in with them). We have them to thank for our customers being so wary. But then, that's not entirely a bad thing. They make the rest of us look SO much better
    You're spot on:

At a meeting yesterday a client said something along the lines of: "we just knew you would be great and really professional compared to the other quotes and info we got."

I'm good at what I do but it's not rocket science, I've not done any courses or seminars so you could say I'm self taught, I do it alongside a very time consuming and stressful main job and I started out doing rubbish gigs for rubbish money for an agent but I still took a pride in what I did and I genuinely believe that anyone with the gumption and desire could operate at this level, the problem is most of them don't have that so it makes people who are even that little bit more invested in the kind of service they provide stand out against them.