Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer wants to come to one of my gigs!!

Default Customer wants to come to one of my gigs!!

I have a customer who has booked for their wedding.
    He has paid deposit etc but has asked to visit whilst I'm working.
    Unfortunately I don't do many pubs clubs where that would be possible.
    Is this something members have facilitated?
    And yes I have videos on my site.

No, all of my work is private.

I never let clients come and view me 'in action'.

I explain to them that just as I wouldn't invite random people to view at their event, that's why I don't allow it at other gigs.

Equally, every gig in unique, and some clients have specific requirements. What I do at one gig isn't what I do at another, so it seems pointless a client seeing another gig, which would be different to their one!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    No, all of my work is private.

I never let clients come and view me 'in action'.

I explain to them that just as I wouldn't invite random people to view at their event, that's why I don't allow it at other gigs.

Equally, every gig in unique, and some clients have specific requirements. What I do at one gig isn't what I do at another, so it seems pointless a client seeing another gig, which would be different to their one!
    I concur!

Whilst I try to capture video and photos for my website, every single party I do is different. I do complete and utter cheese-fests to solid rock weddings and everything in between (last weekend was strictly 60s to 80s). No two nights are the same and it's all down to the crowd on the night and more importantly, the wishes of the bride and groom on the occasion.

Plus - as Gavin has already mentioned....I wouldn't dream of inviting someone along to watch me at THEIR wedding, so why should they be allowed to see me working at somebody else's ?

It's pretty much the same question (which I get asked a LOT)...."can I see your playlist?"

Erm...nope....I don't have one (that confuses a lot of people!).I'm not a club DJ that turns up with a USB stick and a pre-programmed list of tracks! I have 35,000 tracks available to me should the need arise (although in reality only a couple of hundred ever get played) and I'll play whatever's suitable for YOUR wedding on the night depending on how your guests are reacting to my choices plus any music policy you might have in place.

Might be worth asking them exactly what sort of experience they're looking for and talk to them about how you can fulfil that?

Cool Customer wants to come to one of my gigs!!

Thanks I thought as much and told customer same thing that it's not something I do .

It's an old chestnut, which gets asked often. The answer is exactly as Wayne and Gavin have said, no two gigs are alike, so watching you play combine harvester to three hundred Young Farmers won't give a customer insight into why you're the man for his upcoming wedding with five hours of Peruvian Nose Flute Rave Music.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I personally avoid the "every event is different" spiel because it puts you on the defensive and essentially reads as - you might turn up and no one is dancing.

Saying my full focus at each gig is on the client and their guests, not touting for business, just as it will be at their wedding where I'd never dream of inviting a stranger is usually enough to do the trick.

I think I've only ever had one person really not accept that and walk away from the booking but she came across as hard work from our communication any way so win win for me

I have to agree with everything that has been said. You have to ask them how they would feel if you were to invite someone to their wedding, also musical taste is a very personal thing they may not like the style of music you are playing but that may be the paying clients choice (slightly different in the OP's case as booking and deposit are confirmed)

I would also agree with what has been said already.
    It happened to me quite a few times over the years. I didn't really promote videos of me at work back then (always worked alone and didn't have the time or enough hands to do it).

I always used to say that every booking was different too, in fact I still believe that. You can bet your life that you agree to let somebody come and have a look at you whilst working, and you have a bunch of guests who have as much energy and enthusiasm as the local morgue.

Somebody once asked me, "would it be ok just to pop in and poke our heads around the door?". It's funny as I don't actually remember my answer to that question, and I don't remember anybody saying anything (that person still booked me anyway), but I must admit that I would feel slightly uncomfortable about people popping along to somebody's big day so they could suss out the DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I personally avoid the "every event is different" spiel
    Ah, so you do the same thing every gig then?

It's a wedding, so Macarena and Cha Cha Slide.
    It's an 18th, so all chart bilge.
    It's a 50th, 60th, 70th Birthday, so all 80s, 70s, 60s.

Somehow I don't think you work that way, so I'd have to say that your argument falls at the first hurdle.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I personally avoid the "every event is different" spiel because it puts you on the defensive and essentially reads as - you might turn up and no one is dancing.
    I agree and I didn't clarify that enough.

The reason I don't like people coming to see me is because each gig is different. What I do at one gig could turn them off - despite that not being what I would do at their gig!

But that's not the reason I give the client.

I give the reason that just as I wouldn't invite potential clients to their wedding, that's why I can't allow them to view me at someone else's wedding.

That reason is always more than enough for them to understand.