Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite type of gigs?

Default What are your favourite type of gigs?

And before we get the predictable Hen parties/Home Brew Society tasting type suggestions, I'm looking for serious ones. Many folk on here often say weddings, but I'd usually put them well down my list. A couple of recent thirteen year old parties have made me rethink some areas of it. Once upon a time, they would have been high on my list, for minimum effort and maximum return. Now, I think that would be totally reversed.

No poll, cos you'll think of categories I'd forgotten, and you can give one category, a top ten in order, or anything in between, entirely up to you. I'm genuinely interested to know what people think.

Right, here are a few of mine, in no particular order.
    Although I don't much like weddings, I quite like All Day ones, as you get involved more, and often have more insight into what people want.
    Still in the wedding camp, I've had a few this year where the wedding took place abroad, and they want to come back and have an informal party afterwards. There you go, I don't like weddings, and the first two on my list are weddings!
    50/60/70 Birthdays and Anniversaries. Again, a more laid back approach, particularly compared to 18/21/30, and a wider music range, leaning in my direction.

OK folks, over to you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Believe it or not, I'm actually feeling a move away from the wedding side of things coming on

My absolute favourite types of party and the one's I'm doing the most of at the moment are the Retro ones using the 80s light screens (so mainly 50th's). Why? Because with those parties in particular the guests are there because they WANT to be there as opposed to a lot of weddings I've done recently where they appear to feel they have to be there out of some sort of family duty. They also tend to be fancy dress styl-ee, which instantly gets rid of any inhibitions the guests might feel towards throwing shapes on my dance floor. Mic use is normally definitely allowed as well which helps to gee up the crowd a bit at times too.

The more informal weddings (as Peter mentions where they marry elsewhere or even earlier in the day and go home for the afternoon, and party later on) are also something I'm doing a lot of at the moment as opposed to the more formal affairs. Far less pressure and none of the formalities you'd normally associate with a wedding and no massive "do not play" lists.

Older birthday parties and wedding anniversaries (I've already mentioned the Retro stuff, but I also like the 60th's, 70's, silver, ruby and diamond weddings)....it's just a more respectful class of guest 99% of the time and the music they tend to enjoy is much better than some of the tripe the younger generations want, and certainly not much chance of playing the horrid sweary stuff.

The last one of those a couple of weeks ago for a more mature couple didn't even have any sort of timeline. Yes, everything overran horribly, no there was no real structure, but hey....the guests enjoyed the evening and there were compliments aplenty - I'm not complaining.

I'm starting to shy away from the all-day weddings at the moment. I've got nothing against them, but when you're working for 12-13 hours on site at some of them (plus travel etc at either end).....it's a bit too much for me despite the money involved.

Kids parties these days for me are a big no-no. Apart from a couple of long standing engagements I always do for a couple of local schools, I just can't be doing with them anymore. I actually turn a lot of these away

18th's and 21's - not very often, and then only if it's a family party as opposed to a load of 18 yr olds out on the lash.

I'm starting to sound old

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

I'm starting to sound old
    Good man, you know it makes sense.

Your likes are not a million miles away from mine, and yes, fancy dress helps a lot to break the ice, and create a fun atmosphere. Sadly, I can't see me getting a retro rig together, but I do love ( musically ) retro gigs.

Favourites for me USED to be the Alternative / Rock gigs that I did, but they are now few and far between and although I love the scene, I don't follow it as much as I used to, or should do.

Favourites for me by a long shot are the retro gigs, especially the 80's gigs. I guess it is because I know it inside out and have always had a passion for (most of) it.
    I also really like doing the Ska / Two Tone gigs.

Give me a free reign and let me play what I like from the 80's at a fancy dress party where everybody is in the party mood and has made an effort, and you'll find me in my element.

I like the whole retro rig thing too, but it is not something I have looked into just yet.

Without question single genre / decade theme nights. A refreshing change & interesting challenges ahoy.

Weddings are rapidly becoming my least favourite. Too many demands, not enough consultative input. The customer is always right but is sabotaging their own event by excluding guests. Nice! I'm currently conducting an enquiry into how I've unequivocally failed to get the mesage across.

A year ago I'd have said school leaver proms were my faves, but either I've changed or they have in that the music that was getting them to holler most is almost as old as me. Boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

A year ago I'd have said school leaver proms were my faves, but either I've changed or they have in that the music that was getting them to holler most is almost as old as me. Boring!
    Jaundiced Old Gits might suggest that's because so much of what's produced nowadays is absolute, total and utter
    I'd have to agree with your findings, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Jaundiced Old Gits might suggest that's because so much of what's produced nowadays is absolute, total and utter
    I'd have to agree with your findings, though.
    Oh I dunno. I played a very posh school prom a while back & they went absolutely nuts for chart stuff. By that I mean I feared for the marquee floor, the stage & the marquee itself. That is, when rhey weren't accusing me of being racist for playing the censored versions

As for new stuff being awful.. It's all in the ear of the beholder. I personally couldn't care less how much I like the stuff when there's 200 blighters going doolally to it. Fwiw, as much as I think Drake is DREKK, his tracks' basslines are formidable. I do love a good wodge of sub bass action. Sub seems to be something sorely missing from recordings from decades before the 1990s. But yeah modern stuff has got loads of highs for phone playback, sod all in the middle bar autotuned mumbling and a ferocious unrelenting sub. Oh but what a sub lol.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 24-07-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Probably the only person to say this - But Xmas are my favourites, closely followed by Prom Nights.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Probably the only person to say this - But Xmas are my favourites, closely followed by Prom Nights.
    Xmas I'm almost with you on chris. If only you could have them without xnas music & the once a year aunty Alices they'd be in my top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Weddings are rapidly becoming my least favourite. Too many demands, not enough consultative input. The customer is always right but is sabotaging their own event by excluding guests. Nice! I'm currently conducting an enquiry into how I've unequivocally failed to get the message across.
    Are these still weddings through your residency, or your own weddings?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography