Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food/Drink Requirements

I don't insist on food either. I'm being paid to provide a service....I'm not a guest.

The majority of my gigs tend to be evening only - and I always eat before I arrive (yes, that may mean a meal at 4pm or a McDonalds en-route) - for one or two (max) days a week....where's the harm?

For all day/part days (which I don't do too many of because despite the pay, they're not my thing), I look after myself. I only ever do one of these a week and again for one day...where's the harm on living on a sandwich/cold pasta and various healthy snacks (nuts, berries etc) for the day?

It's nice to be offered, and depending on what the offer is - I'll take it (self service buffets with chicken under sweaty cling-film...pass!). A hog roast, chip van or similar however....

When I started out I expected to be fed and drinks provided as whenever I went to family/friends parties they would always encourage staff/DJ to help themselves.

I did a couple of nice long day weddings a couple of years in and it wound me up that the guests were being waited on constantly and nobody offered me anything.

So now 9/10 of my events are weddings and I've noticed I barely ever get offered anything and that's fine with me. Recently, I do quite enjoy it when they do offer me food though and the responses I get when they say "we've got a lovely roast duck main if you'd like some" or "we've got a hog roast for you in the evening"... And I say "very kind of you but I'm vegan". To be honest I find I don't get anywhere near as hungry since I made the change. Fill up on a big carby meal and I'm good for 10 hours and it doesn't go bad on the hot weather!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Never ask for food or drink in my rider as I take my own water to drink and sandwiches if its a longer day.
    I have never been comfortable with seeing DJ's and bands diving up to the buffet, we are paid for our services and just add a bit in the price to cover your expenses.
    www.bossmankaraokedisco.co.uk & www.coventry-weddingdj.co.uk
    BOSSMAN KARAOKE DISCO inc. COVENTRY WEDDING DJ

Covering Coventry, West Midlands & Warwickshire

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    where's the harm on living on a sandwich/cold pasta and various healthy snacks (nuts, berries etc) for the day?
    Exactly, looking around BPM a few DJ's could benefit greatly from not stuffing their faces with crap all day long and learn to eat less and better quality food. They might shed a few pounds, look and feel better in the process too. I am only mentioning BPM as thats the distinguishable difference between the mobile guys and the other visitors. Having said that I have moved to a pub and am seeing the difference on my belly, but thats soon to be rectified with a daily exercise routine (at the moment its nout). I am an entertainer in the spotlight and i need to look after myself as first impressions count (including dress, hair & behaviour also). Waddling in with an ill-fitting suit, dirty shoes, a well needed haircut & then tucking in to the buffet is not the image I want to set LOL.
    Last edited by yourdj; 30-07-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I have a plumber and tiler working in my house currently. They are here all day and have been all week. They don't insist I make them food. I also don't think it's unprofessional if they sit in their van and eat a sarnie.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Exactly, looking around BPM a few DJ's could benefit greatly from not stuffing their faces with crap all day long and learn to eat less and better quality food. They might shed a few pounds, look and feel better in the process too.
    You really are the rudest little man Toby and why would you stereotype everyone who has weight problems?

I might be fat, but you're ugly and I can lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    You really are the rudest little man Toby and why would you stereotype everyone who has weight problems?

I might be fat, but you're ugly and I can lose weight.
    Straight out of Churchills repertoire by the sound of it, but you may well be correct.
    I always have plastic surgery or counselling depending on what you are referring too, the latter would be preferable (and cheaper).

I am not so much referring to the larger frames but the over all image, upkeep & attitude of an individual. some of my larger DJ's looks amazing in a well fitted suit, really the look the part & command authority/fun. Others not so, but that can go for anyone of any size I kind of knew that comment was heading for a trip to the sin bin, so apologies for that.

I have a plumber and tiler working in my house currently. They are here all day and have been all week. They don't insist I make them food. I also don't think it's unprofessional if they sit in their van and eat a sarnie.
    Very good point although my builder is getting a lot of kitkats & costa coffees & 50p a pop at the moment (plus the odd bud at the end of the day). Thats my decision and not something he has specified in a contract. If he started helping himself to my fridge then I might have a discrepancy with him.
    Last edited by yourdj; 02-08-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Blimey!
    Not wishing to fuel the situation, but Toby, do you ever really think about what you're writing before you post?
    I commented on this subject the other day and left it. I didn't really think too much about it. I log on today and see that for the first time in what seems like years, Darren has posted so I thought I'd take a look.....

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with what Darren has said and I don't have to / won't elaborate on it anymore.

This post will probably get binned, but I feel the need to comment as I am one of the 'chunky' ones myself....and for the record, it doesn't matter whether it is a well fitted suit, or a pair of jeans and a Fred Perry, I am able to look good myself you know (not all the time I might add ).
    It's no wonder that some people have complexes when there are others who are opinionated and stereotyping them.

This is very much an American thing whereby they think they the centre of the universe. But, maybe the Americans don't always work by top notch industry practises. After all, it's not unusual for a stateside DJ to top up his income by putting out a tip jar - even at weddings! And they still prefer using tables over a fit for purpose stand or booth!

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post

I did a couple of nice long day weddings a couple of years in and it wound me up that the guests were being waited on constantly and nobody offered me anything.

But you're not a guest. You're there to provide a service so you're no different to the waiting staff who are also providing a service by constantly waiting on the guests. Who waits on the waiting staff? That's right, no-one!

A plumber was going to be my comparator. He (or she - I'm not sexist!) is there to provide a service, exactly the same as a DJ. But you wouldn't expect a plumber to be fed and watered by their client throughout their time on site. It's nice to offer but wouldn't be expected!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

#TobyBashing

Dragging it back on topic by the scruff of the neck, I personally don't eat during evening only functions. I tend to have a meal before I go out and then on the way home, I eat a protein bar and drink a Pepsi Max and it's not an 'Oh, I wonder what the client and their guests will think of me' mentality - I'm too busy working to even think about food and because I eat before I leave, I'm sorted anyway.

Saying that, I was at Chatsworth House a couple of weeks back. We arrived to partially set up and store gear out of sight at 5:30pm, and then re-entered the room after the wedding breakfast at 9pm to position and complete the setup. During the downtime, we were fed in the bar/cafe away from the guests, which I was genuinely surprised with, as I hadn't asked and wasn't expecting. We were just going to enjoy a coffee out of the way.

As for all day events, I ask for a meal. I don't expect (or want, to be honest) the full three courses but I would like something and am happy (actually prefer) to eat away from the guests so I can have a bit of a break.

As for what guests notice, here is a completely unrelated anecdote: I wear a branded polo and jeans to most of my disco only events. With the weather being as stunning as it has been over the last few weeks, I have been setting up in shorts, and then changing into full length jeans afterwards. If I see my clients while I'm setting up, I have mentioned to them that my sexy legs aren't part of the service that they have paid for, so they will be going into hiding under a pair of jeans after I'm done rigging and each of them have said the exact same thing - "I didn't even notice."

I think, essentially, that unless you are being an absolute slob (i.e. eating a hotdog in a way that can only be described as 'face fornicating'), then if food is available to you, then you can choose whether to have it or not. Just make sure you know if you're allowed to help yourself.