Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food/Drink Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    If I see my clients while I'm setting up, I have mentioned to them that my sexy legs aren't part of the service that they have paid for, so they will be going into hiding under a pair of jeans after I'm done rigging and each of them have said the exact same thing - "I didn't even notice."
    Must try harder on leg day!
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Exactly, looking around BPM a few DJ's could benefit greatly from not stuffing their faces with crap all day long and learn to eat less and better quality food. They might shed a few pounds, look and feel better in the process too. I am only mentioning BPM as thats the distinguishable difference between the mobile guys and the other visitors. Having said that I have moved to a pub and am seeing the difference on my belly, but thats soon to be rectified with a daily exercise routine (at the moment its nout). I am an entertainer in the spotlight and i need to look after myself as first impressions count (including dress, hair & behaviour also). Waddling in with an ill-fitting suit, dirty shoes, a well needed haircut & then tucking in to the buffet is not the image I want to set LOL.
    I hate myself for doing this, but my friend with both feet in his mouth is basically correct. Zero out of ten for tact and diplomacy, but basically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    I have a plumber and tiler working in my house currently. They are here all day and have been all week. They don't insist I make them food. I also don't think it's unprofessional if they sit in their van and eat a sarnie.
    Indeed, but are they putting tiles up for the enjoyment of a room full of guests, who are being provided with a sumptuous buffet by you? Different scenario.
    If they slope off to the pub down the road/takeaway/supermarket/ hot dog van halfway through tiling the wall, will it have a negative impact on you?

From the moment we arrive on site, we're effectively tied to the kit, and it wouldn't sit well with clients if just when they needed ceremony music, we were sitting in the van having a tea break, having left a sign on the PA " Back after a bacon butty and a cuppa ". And for all you lot who only take gigs five minutes down the road, those of us who may leave mid afternoon for an evening only gig struggle to go from three in the afternoon to two in the morning on only a meal deal sarnie, crisps and bottle of pop from the petrol station.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post

I think, essentially, that unless you are being an absolute slob (i.e. eating a hotdog in a way that can only be described as 'face fornicating'), then if food is available to you, then you can choose whether to have it or not. Just make sure you know if you're allowed to help yourself.
    Correctamundo. Turn this on its head. How about the guests filling their faces in front of you, when you haven't been offered any, and can't wqander off to get some.

I wonder what sort of response I'd get if just after the buffet was over, and everyone was wanting to boogie, I left the kit on automix, and went off to the nearest McDonalds for a happy meal?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I do mainly evenings and always eat before I leave. I don’t take the buffet even if I am offered it. The times I include ceremony music or background during breakfast and mics for speeches then the Mrs make me a packed lunch.

Must admit though that I am a sucker for sweets and always have a packet of wine gums or mints in the DJ emergency kit which also includes plasters, ibrophen, parasetamol and astma inhalers.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I do mainly evenings and always eat before I leave. I don’t take the buffet even if I am offered it. The times I include ceremony music or background during breakfast and mics for speeches then the Mrs make me a packed lunch.

Must admit though that I am a sucker for sweets and always have a packet of wine gums or mints in the DJ emergency kit which also includes plasters, ibrophen, parasetamol and astma inhalers.
    Don't forget the Immodium for those occasions when a chicken leg which has been stored in a hot village hall under cling-film covered in condensation has been offered

To be honest - I'm similar in that the majority of mine are now evening only and I either eat early (I rarely travel more than 30 miles but eating dinner at 4pm is a killer....I'm just NOT hungry then but force myself to eat something to keep me going), en-route if there's one of those cloned, generic burger places with Golden Arches (urgh...I have to be desperate for that!), or have something like a cold pasta on-site once everything's in place.

As for the sweets - guilty as charged. I ALWAYS have a 4 pack of Yorkie raisin and biscuit (bring back the almond ones I say!) in the van for the journey home. One day, they're going to cause me to catch diabetes but the sugar hit is always more than welcome after a hard night's work followed by de-rigging in record time in most of my venues.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    But you're not a guest. You're there to provide a service so you're no different to the waiting staff who are also providing a service by constantly waiting on the guests. Who waits on the waiting staff? That's right, no-one!
    I understand some do prefer the divide, I got the idea after a couple of weddings. It's not personally my style, if somebody comes to work at my house, they can expect to be offered a drink and occasionally I've offered food to contractors. So initially it was a bit of a shock that when I went somewhere with plentiful food and drink I was not offered any. But I get it now and I always bring my own food.

Not trying to be rude - Protein bars Benny, do you have a protein deficiency?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Not trying to be rude - Protein bars Benny, do you have a protein deficiency?
    Setting up and de-rigging is a cardio and resistance training workout. I give my muscles the protein that they need to recover, and the bars are very filling.

I don't ask for food , and very rarely get offered it ! when I do I always say I will let your guests take advantage first, by which time it's my time to start the party or there is nothing left !
    I just wouldn't feel comfortable stood in the queue or worse, sneaking in !
    always remember, you're unique, just like everyone else......

Any one interested, I wrote a long post about this a while back detailing my reasons for including a 'hot meal' in my contract for all day weddings:

https://www.freestyleentertainment.c...er-dj-wedding/

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Any one interested, I wrote a long post about this a while back detailing my reasons for including a 'hot meal' in my contract for all day weddings:

https://www.freestyleentertainment.c...er-dj-wedding/
    Thats very in-depth & spot on with marquees, especially with a grumpy caterer, that has no spare tables or chairs to sit on let alone any spare meals. I only really have this problem at venues when its exclusive use, but I don't personally see why a pasta or something prepared at home with some nibbles bought on route is a problem, but that might just be me. I find the meal deals are highly affordable, as you can get a reasonable sandwich, fresh apples and a very nice non concentrate smoothy drink for £3! I don't know how they make a profit from that. I tend to buy 2 for an all day and get a coffee as a second drink. I could easily cook and egg and bacon sanwish or chicken pasta at home, but usually I can't wait to get away from screaming kids LOL.

The higher fee and passed on in my pricing comes across a little clinical, but you have point. Having said that if you are charging £800-1500, I would write a £7 burger off as I would a drink at the bar or so on as its only about 0.7% if that of the total fee so not much different to a new set of non rechargeable batteries for the ceremony mics.

If I was Djing on the Orient Express and meals were £100+ for 2 courses then I might have a problem LOL.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I don't personally see why a pasta or something prepared at home with some nibbles bought on route is a problem, but that might just be me.
    I agree I don't get this whole "a HOT meal must be provided" contract malarky. What bloody difference does it make what temperature your food is? Twice I've been provided with a meal and the band have complained that their food isn't a hot meal. I remember the client bought loads of sandwiches (way too many for the band), fruit and crisps for the band on one occasion and they wouldn't stop moaning! Somebody actually went out and got them pizzas. Of course on both occasions they were only there for 3-4 hours in total.

I do understand if you specifically say you require it then it should be provided but It's not like we're touring DJs or anything who are unfarmilar with our surroundings. Easy peasy to make the food for the day and take it with you. If you're concerned about keeping it cool = coolbox, if that's not good enough don't bring things that will poison you if they're not cooled.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD